Dome vs. Bullet

pschmehl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm researching, trying to learn as much as I can before spending my money. I'm trying to decide between a dome or a bullet camera.

I posted some pics of the area that I want to cover and the possible mounting locations here: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/13564-Newbie-with-questions-surprise-surprise?p=123200&viewfull=1#post123200

In response to my first post, PSPCommOP posted this:
I'd also suggest the turret over the dome. Less IR bleed at night, and although you say nightvision doesn't matter, they can get smudges over time that skew the picture or cause "sunbursts" which can cause issues even in daylight.
However, I've noticed that a lot of forum members are using domes. How serious is the IR bleed problem with domes? The camera would be mounted under the soffit, so it's conceivable that the soffit itself could cause some reflection. Would the bullet cam be less subject to the reflection problem? If I get a bullet cam, I'm leaning toward a mini cam. Would that be more prone to reflection than a full size bullet cam? What really is the best choice for this application?

My goal is to capture any bad guys or bad guys in cars driving past my house. For example, my neighbor had his truck stolen along with some of his equipment. If I had captured their car going by, it might have helped the investigation. Also, we've had some guys going through the neighborhood trying car doors to see if they're unlocked.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bullet's and domes both exhibit IR reflection when mounted outside. You don't know what you're doing yet; why are you resisting good advise you've been given? I agree with @PSPCommOp. A turret is your best option for an outside installation.

Last edited by a moderator:

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Above are pictures of two cameras at a building where I work. They are outside domes, constantly getting sunlight. You can see the bleed or starburst or whatever you want to call it bleeding from the outside lights.

Now this can be from dirt on the dome, scratches or whatever. But these are less then 2 months old. Constant radiation from the sun is believed to make it even worse over time by warping the plastic dome. Another reason many people like all metal housings.

As far as IR bleed, that's a different thing but here's an example from NetworkCameraCritics website. This is where the IR bulbs AND camera lense lie behind the same plastic dome. It can lead to reflecting back causing this.

Either way it's a pain and some that is in fact avoidable. Bullets are good but they are horrible with spider webs in the summer time. Example below:

The webs are easily cleaned with a Webster duster or garden hose but spiders are persistent. It's something you'll be cleaning almost daily to get any good quality night video.

Turrets aren't completely immune from spiderwebs depending on where you mount them but it's much less webbing normally. The bullets lid and casing provide a perfect place for them to build completely. Turrets won't have IR bleed issues and are considered domes by some sellers. Either way, I'd again consider a turret, otherwise expect any of the issues listed above with domes/bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pschmehl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Bullet's and domes both exhibit IR reflection when mounted outside. You don't know what you're doing yet; why are you resisting good advise you've been given? I agree with @PSPCommOp. A turret is your best option for an outside installation.
Apparently I've misunderstood. I thought a turret was a bullet. No?

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Turret: Camera Lense separate from IR lights in side.

Mini-Bullet: Camera Lense surrounded by IR Lights

Dome: Camera Lense surrounded by IR Lights but still behind the same plastic dome.

pschmehl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, now you know why I'm asking questions. I thought turrets were another name for bullets, and I thought the pictures of turrets were pictures of domes. Now I have to start researching all over again. Thanks for clearing that up.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you've got an outdoor location which is shielded from the elements (under an eave or below an awning) then several of our members like this Dahua Mini Black Face PTZ (SD29204S-GN)...

Or my (current) favorite outdoor IP camera, the lowlight 5MP Longse LBW90S500 which is a very large bullet which doesn't seem to attract spider webs and (because of the IR configuration/placement) doesn't appear to exhibit IR reflection. Longse also makes this camera in a turret form factor which is called the Longse LRDC60S500.

However, you may have trouble using these cameras depending on the NVR you purchase...so it's best to coordinate your NVR purchase with the type of cameras you decide you want.

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, you can see why I might be confused: Hikvision DS-CD2332-I Original 1/3" CMOS 3PM 2.8mm Lens POE Network CCTV DOME IP Camera

Does anyone make a turret cam that has wifi? I'm not finding that, which may make this whole project moot.
The best wifi cameras I'm aware of will only do 720 tops. You mentioned catching bad guys. Do some research on the image quality with 720 cameras vs 1080, 2k, or even 4K. If you want a meaningful picture to catch a plate or see a face, you should look at 1024 at a minimum. Wifi just can't handle that amount of data transfer.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pschmehl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you've got an outdoor location which is shielded from the elements (under an eave or below an awning) then several of our members like this Dahua Mini Black Face PTZ (SD29204S-GN)...

Or my (current) favorite outdoor IP camera, the lowlight 5MP Longse LBW90S500 which is a very large bullet which doesn't seem to attract spider webs and (because of the IR configuration/placement) doesn't appear to exhibit IR reflection. Longse also makes this camera in a turret form factor which is called the Longse LRDC60S500.

However, you may have trouble using these cameras depending on the NVR you purchase...so it's best to coordinate your NVR purchase with the type of cameras you decide you want.
Thanks for that information. I'm trying to avoid needing an NVR. I'm retired, and don't want to spend a fortune on security cameras and gear, plus I don't really have a place for it in my house. I was hoping to put one wireless camera to watch the drive, but it's looking like that's not even possible. I may have to wait until technology catches up.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With what you're talking about, it might just be best to record to a SD card and then take the card out and skim thru the alerts if something happened

pschmehl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's my understanding that the SD cards are difficult to get to (for obvious reasons). I was not planning on having 24/7 monitoring but a video capture triggered by motion sensing, so an SD card might be a decent option. Do any turrets have smartphone capability? That might be useful as well.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why take the sd card out? U could just view the recording on the phone app.unless I missed something.

pschmehl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My problem is, I'm having problems figuring out if the cameras have smartphone capability and/or microSD card slots. The specs seem to address those in a very haphazard manner. For example, I'm looking at three turret cams by LTS: CMIP1142-28, CMIP1142W and CIMP1142W-6. I think they're the same camera, just 2.8mm, 4mm and 6mm lenses. But do they have microSD cards? Do they have smartphone apps? Beats me. This is all very confusing to a newbie.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
there are no sd card slots in the hikvision/lts turrets..all cams are supported by mobile apps.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dahua and hikvision are two different companies.each have an app.there is also another good app for android.tinycam monitor.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dahua sells a turret with mic plus sd card slot.i believe ir distance basically means how far away the cam will show in night vision.i have 64gb micro sd cards on two cams(hik plus huisun cam)they record about 3 days of footage.720p medium settings.the micro sd cards are about $21.

Look what I found on AliExpress
http://s.aliexpress.com/ji2qeIRf