DIY Junction Box Mount for HIK Dome

Lebeter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
DIY Junction Box Mounts for HIK Dome, Dahua Bullet, and Poker PTZ

Seen the bullets mounted to the round metal outdoor boxes and done those no problem, but the HIK domes with the 4.3" base wouldn't allow access to put the lid back on the box on the 4" round boxes. The square boxes do though, so I decided to try it out. check for clearance with the planned holes, I had to adjust the placement on the lid so that the machine screws i used to mount the base cleared the innards of the box. used 3 machine screws and nuts to mount the base to the lid. drill a 1" hole as well to fit the pigtail through. pretty easy.

Forgot to mention you can get the boxes made by Bell or Carlon at HD or other stores. The length of the machine screws I used were 5/8" but you could get away with 1/2" length. Can't recall the size since I pulled a few out of a screw bin I had with misc machine screws. I used the metal box and a plastic lid to make it easier to drill through.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Well done very professional looking.

could you post a pic of the insides of the j box with everything connected? Next time you are up there that is :D

Lebeter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well done very professional looking.

could you post a pic of the insides of the j box with everything connected? Next time you are up there that is :D
Unfortunately that may be awhile. I had to use my neighbors extension ladder to get up to these places. Which one are you interested in seeing? The PTZ has 18 awg security wire running to it as well as cat6 for the data. I spliced into the ptz's coaxial power connector and connected the 18awg with WAGO connectors. I ran that back to conduit inside the garage to the ptz's included 110v transformer connected to a garage outlet. The cat6 ran through the same conduit and connects to a switch I have in the garage. I used some electrical tape to wrap some of it up inside the box and then crammed it in. That is what you would see ;)

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
These turned out very nice, Lebeter!

I think I am going to have to "steal" your idea for an upcoming bullet cam mount in the next couple of weeks!

Thanks for sharing.

Lebeter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Definitely, the mounting to the conduit boxes has been around for awhile. Love to take claim for the idea, but I saw someone do the same thing with the bullets to the round boxes a few years ago. Wish I could remember who to give credit to. I did a little homework on the domes to verify they would fit on the square boxes, same with the Poker PTZ. I saw a youtube video or someone's blog recently claiming to have come up with the idea themselves. I had to laugh, because anyone who's frequented the cctv forums has probably seen them at some point.

Rudyjr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I love the bird house install. I have a couple of places at my house that the best angle would be from a tree but I hate the idea of mounting just the camera to the tree. I may just go the bird house route to disguise it a bit.