DH-IPC-HDW2231R-ZS dead?

WannaTheater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Camera is no longer feeding Blue Iris... physically the IR lights are no longer on. The corresponding POE port on switch is not lit... and doesn't light when I plug a working device into it. And plugging the dead camera into any other ports doesn't change anything.
So is seems like the camera is dead, and also took out the corresponding switch port. Before I trash this, is there anything else I should try?

Last edited:

WannaTheater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As a follow up, can anyone recommend an adequate similar replacement? Or even an upgrade recommendation? This is for the front of the house (driveway coverage)

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since you're in a state known as the lightning capital of the U.S., it is highly likely the cam and the POE port were fried by ESD from a nearby lightning strike.

But you've also got rain and humidity, so before you decide to order a new cam, I'd inspect the connection where the CAT cable's RJ-45 plugs into the cam's pigtail: check for corrosion and discoloration. That will have to be resolved in any event.

If it is badly corroded, you may be able to clean it up or replace one or more connectors and get the cam working again.

I suggest your next step would be to get up on that ladder and inspect that connection.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Most likely something is shorted out. It can be a surface mount capacitor inside the camera as well. I would take it apart and get a multimeter and check for continuity on those capacitors. If it beeps it is shorted. If multiple are shorted, then that is a bit harder to find the one that is actually shorted. I use a Flir thermal camera to "see" the one that heats up the most.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since you're in a state known as the lightning capital of the U.S., it is highly likely the cam and the POE port were fried by ESD from a nearby lightning strike.

But you've also got rain and humidity, so before you decide to order a new cam, I'd inspect the connection where the CAT cable's RJ-45 plugs into the cam's pigtail: check for corrosion and discoloration. That will have to be resolved in any event.

If it is badly corroded, you may be able to clean it up or replace one or more connectors and get the cam working again.

I suggest your next step would be to get up on that ladder and inspect that connection.
^^^^^^This.

WannaTheater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks all. Removed camera, and I can see a little discoloration on the Cat5 on two of the pins which looks like an arc... most likely internal short. Everything else very clean (this camera is on a patio, but under a patio ceiling- very well protected. No direct exposure to rain, etc.

CAT5 rings out fine with my cable tester.

Will probably purchase two upgraded cameras for the front of the house, and relocate one to replace this cooked one.

WannaTheater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you. This looks to be a great replacement. Is there an upgraded version with Vari-focal?
I am thinking this?

Also, for anyone that has used both, is the extra cost worth the upgrade?

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks all. Removed camera, and I can see a little discoloration on the Cat5 on two of the pins which looks like an arc... most likely internal short. Everything else very clean (this camera is on a patio, but under a patio ceiling- very well protected. No direct exposure to rain, etc.

CAT5 rings out fine with my cable tester.

Will probably purchase two upgraded cameras for the front of the house, and relocate one to replace this cooked one.
Keep in mind, even tho you state "its well protected" does not keep moisture from getting into the RJ45 and causing things to corrode, All it takes is a change in outdoor temp to cause condensation in the connection. This is why it is important to properly water proof the connection at time of install. WaterProofing Connections