Dahua Starlight vs Hikvision low light performance

LoinKing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've spent hours trying to figure out which cameras are good for low light/night color recording. On this forum, it looks like Starlight is the gold standard, however, looking at specs for Hikvision's EasyIP 3.0 2355 Turret (5MP), the lux ratings are nearly identical. Does that mean hikvision now has same low light performance?

In my city, the local Dahua shop only has 4231T (2MP) and 4431T (4MP) starlight cameras. The only references I found to these model numbers were on aliexpress. Locally, they are priced about same as the Hikvision 2355 cameras, so I'm wondering which ones to go with. Does Hikvision also have Exmor sensor?

Btw, I still have to get the NVR and I had heard that hikvision nvr is better so was planning on getting that, are Dahua NVRs as feature rich as hikvision?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've spent hours trying to figure out which cameras are good for low light/night color recording. On this forum, it looks like Starlight is the gold standard, however, looking at specs for Hikvision's EasyIP 3.0 2355 Turret (5MP), the lux ratings are nearly identical. Does that mean hikvision now has same low light performance?

In my city, the local Dahua shop only has 4231T (2MP) and 4431T (4MP) starlight cameras. The only references I found to these model numbers were on aliexpress. Locally, they are priced about same as the Hikvision 2355 cameras, so I'm wondering which ones to go with. Does Hikvision also have Exmor sensor?

Btw, I still have to get the NVR and I had heard that hikvision nvr is better so was planning on getting that, are Dahua NVRs as feature rich as hikvision?
Hi @LoinKing

"..local Dahua shop only has 4231T (2MP) and 4431T (4MP) starlight cameras" - someone is pulling a scam - I don't recall seeing any 4MP starlight cameras.

Best not to trust that shop.

Hikvision and Dahua probably measure their lux ratings differently. Better to not rely on that in and of itself - look at the reviews and sample image captures.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
With the starlight cameras, you don't need anything more than 2MP. Before you buy from anywhere else talk to our resident Dahua dealer on here.

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Image 1 is a Hik 2T55 with a 6mm lens and image 2 is a Hik 2335 with a 2.8MM lens. I think the night vision is fantastic, haven't tried color at nightImage-1.jpg Image-2.jpg

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why mess around with b/w at night when you can have full color with Dahua Starlight?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does that mean hikvision now has same low light performance?
Hikvision came out with a series of cameras in 2017 called Ultra Low Light. They use the same Sony STARVIS sensors that Dahua uses in their Starlight series.

IMO, Dahua is the most popular on the forum here because there’s a trusted reseller here to buy from, and Dahua seems to have more models with Starlight performance.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've totally done away with Hikvision to the point where I am a Dahua 5 Star dealer now. To me, Dahua has a better overall product. The Dahua Starlight line blows anything Hikvision has out the water!

LoinKing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've totally done away with Hikvision to the point where I am a Dahua 5 Star dealer now. To me, Dahua has a better overall product. The Dahua Starlight line blows anything Hikvision has out the water!
Unfortunately the local Dahua shop didn't have any good starlight cameras, as per mat200 the 2MP was and 4MP wasn't a starlight and even those were in Bullet shape only. I asked them why don't they import more starlight models and he said because those are expensive and most people here are content with IR nightvision, so there isn't really any demand.

I've seen references to 'Andy' who ships cameras from hong kong. Can you guys share his info? I might just order Ultra low light Hikvision from him, since I already got the hikvision nvr setup now.

Hikvision came out with a series of cameras in 2017 called Ultra Low Light. They use the same Sony STARVIS sensors that Dahua uses in their Starlight series.
Do you know which cameras are those? Easy IP 3.0 Dark fighter ones?

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That is my Dahua 22204TNI. Your Dahua shop guy saying the starlight cameras are expensive is full of crap. He just doesn't want to carry them and continue selling the cheaper cameras that have to depend on ir for a bigger profit. I bet you if he even purchased two for stock and did a demo, they would sell like hotcakes!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen references to 'Andy' who ships cameras from hong kong. Can you guys share his info?..?
Hi LoinKing,

Please see the vendor section, or his profile EmpireTecAndy. ( this week he is on vacation btw )

wackystuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
you have the dahua 22204TNI? that's the starlight 2mp ptz? how much did you buy it for?

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes it's the Starlight 2MP PTZ. I an a authorized Dahua dealer, so I cannot post my dealer pricing,sorry. I can post what it would cost you and pricing includes 5yr warranty.

cave

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes it's the Starlight 2MP PTZ. I an a authorized Dahua dealer, so I cannot post my dealer pricing,sorry. I can post what it would cost you and pricing includes 5yr warranty.
Hi Blake,

How much are you asking for the 22204TNI? And how do I buy it from you?

Thanks!