Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Doolally

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cameras are ordered whooooooo :) Thanks @EMPIRETECANDY

Just waiting on confirmation for the mounts now :)

ypl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My order reached Europe today. This time I took
1 x IPC-HFW8232E-Z + 1 x PFA121
- 1 x HDW5231R-Z + 1 x PFB203W
- 1 x IPC-HDBW4231F-AS + 1 x PFA139
I will test and decide if I go for ultra starlights or regular starlight is enough. Few mini domes will go inside the house, but I wanted to put one outside, there would be no direct sunlight on it, is it bad idea?

bamaster

n3wb
Reaction score
Some newbie help needed here. I just received 2 of these cameras. Big boys compared to the Amcrests they are replacing!

Before I can install these, I need to set it up. I read that I'll need to plug it in directly to my computer. So I will need to get an injector to do this? Which I don't have. I plugged it into the ethernet that the Amcrest was connected to, and of course it doesn't show up on the network. Probably because it's preconfigured for 192.168.1.108, which is outside of my LAN's IP pool.

Is there an alternate way to do this? Suggestions?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
And then unplug your computer from the network, plug the camera straight into the computer and give your computer a static IP address of 192.168.1.5 and once you do that you should be able to type 192.168.1.108 in the web browser to access and change the IP address of the camera to something within your routers range. Just be sure to change your computers IP address back.

After that everything should work as normal.

bamaster

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your help, gentlemen. I ended up re-configuring my wireless router LAN settings. Basically, I set my router IP to 192.168.1.1 with a DHCP range starting at 100 (instead of the default 192.168.0.1). Then I power cycled the PoE switch to reassign my devices. And now I can see the Dahua because its IP is in range.

This is an in-place upgrade. I have 4 Amcrest cameras now and I'm replacing two of them. Still figuring this out, I may have more questions later. Many thanks for your replies!!

Reaction score
Oah and to top everything off; my boss told me at beginning of April that I've got until August then he expects our entire team to be handed layoff notices.. so after 10 years of hard work for the biggest name in networking; Ive got to start planning and pursuing a new carrier path.. how humbling life can be at times.. at least the new baby will be here before I get booted out the door..
Ryan, since your boy will be here before the yearly August layoff ritual make sure you schedule your paid 3-week "Child Bonding Leave" (search for that on the intranet and you'll find the 2015 FAQ that I followed to get this benefit or PM me and I can send you the PDF) plus one extra week of paid "Family/Medical Leave" for as soon as he is born. You might have to educate your manager about these benefits as he might not be aware of how they work (mine wasn't). I would also save up all your PTO hrs as they will pay them out on top of your layoff package. Good luck and THANK you so much for all your contributions here. If there's anything I can do to help, do not hesitate to PM me.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry....Does not support hardware acceleration with h.265
I cannot get this camera to work properly with BI and H.265, (itrecords but 2/3 of the screen is green)
If hardware acceleration is the culprit, is there a way to turn it off?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I cannot get this camera to work properly with BI and H.265, (itrecords but 2/3 of the screen is green)
you are far better off to switch to h.264 and keep the hardware acceleration, the only thing h.265 gains you is some hard drive space, but at the cost of CPU, + more CPU from turning off hardware acceleration, CPU cycles are much more costly than hard drive space.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
it has nothing to do with HA...as mentioned in another thread, I have provided access to the developer and he is working on a fix..

Dingus

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone have these placed around the 7ft high mark? I'm thinking of getting two placed under the eave of my garage door. 1 aimed left for general driveway/front walk way/road coverage, the other zoomed in to the small dog park approximately 30-50ft away (50 being far end). I am currently using an old logitech webcam hooked up to BI on my PC to capture lazy asshole dog owners not picking up in our development. It's crap obviously for night time footage with no IR, which doesn't work anyways behind a double pane window. The Dahuas would be outside obviously, with IR turned on if the street lighting doesn't suffice. They would be about 8 ft apart, (single car garage, these would be in the corners of the top of the opening).

Thanks! After typing this up, I just realized I also need a FLIR to show the white hot #2 being left in the grass lol.

Nick T

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that motion detection at night with IR on is significantly reduced as compared to during daylight? I was fiddling with motion settings tonight and I had the sensitivity turned up to 100 and the threshold down to 2 and I was still not getting indicated motion alarms in the test page. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or missing something.

And before anyone asks, I'm having to use Motion Detection instead of IVS because I cannot find a way to get IVS to trip my QNAP NAS to do an alarm recording. It only supports motion detection as far as I can tell.

Nick T

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anyone have these placed around the 7ft high mark? I'm thinking of getting two placed under the eave of my garage door. 1 aimed left for general driveway/front walk way/road coverage, the other zoomed in to the small dog park approximately 30-50ft away (50 being far end).
I have one setup just about exactly what you are talking about - 7.5 feet up and under the eave pointed back towards my driveway. It seems that with the lights on my garage the IR doesn't need to turn on. Picture attached.

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 8.36.46 PM.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have one setup just about exactly what you are talking about - 7.5 feet up and under the eave pointed back towards my driveway. It seems that with the lights on my garage the IR doesn't need to turn on. Picture attached.

View attachment 18023
use the varifocal to eliminate all the white area on top...you are wasting pixels recording nothing..

Nick T

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
use the varifocal to eliminate all the white area on top...you are wasting pixels recording nothing..
I'm actually going to relocate this camera and get a fixed lens / wider-angle version of the same camera for this location. That's why I have left it as-is for now.

Dingus

n3wb
Reaction score

View attachment 18023
This helps a little, I can picture my one car driveway and the surrounding area.

For the dog park, using your frame it would be about 3-5 Prius lengths behind your car in the top right of the frame. Do you still have room to aim the turret up a bit? I would need to capture less driveway and more background. Not sure if this is the right camera.

Long arrow would be the dog park cam. 2017-05-04 00_07_55-Clipboard.png

My eave is actually just a cinder block's worth of overhang.
Sample pic from the home builder site:
2017-05-04 00_10_48-7828 52nd Terrace East Bradenton, FL 34203 (Inventory) - M_I Homes Sarasota.png

Last edited:

Nick T

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you still have room to aim the turret up a bit? I would need to capture less driveway and more background. Not sure if this is the right camera.
View attachment 18027
I could aim it up a bit and use the zoom, but I set mine up high in the eve so the camera actually can't be seen from the street. For aesthetic reasons, I wanted to hide it, but it works with what I'm trying to see anyway, which is just my driveway.

Regarding whether this is the right camera: I'm actually planning to get the 2.8mm fixed lens version of this camera for my driveway as it will give me a bit more width. My current camera is zoomed all the way out. For the dog park, the varifocal would probably be very nice because you'll be able to tune your view.

Adding pics:Camera Mount - 1.jpgCamera Mount - 2.jpg

Dingus

n3wb
Reaction score
Very discrete. There will be no hiding mine, but they'll be paint matched as best I can. I plan on using junction boxes in each corner. Any reason to switch to wall mounts like yours?

Nick T

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Very discrete. There will be no hiding mine, but they'll be paint matched as best I can. I plan on using junction boxes in each corner. Any reason to switch to wall mounts like yours?
For this location I don't think there was much need, but I had it so I used it. For other locations where it is exposed, I think the mount can be nice to get the lens out of the way of vertical rainfall (because it hangs under it).