Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

azgolfer

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks hmjgriffon, i found the issue it is actually a PFA137 and somehow BH screwed up the order and sent PFA137. I am trying to make it appealing for the wife by using what is designed for the camera
I thought PFA 137 is the correct junction box for this camera? Are you saying PFA 135 is the correct one?

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought PFA 137 is the correct junction box for this camera? Are you saying PFA 135 is the correct one?
No PFA137 is correct B&H Photo sent me the wrong ones 135 and now I have to pay to ship back just venting LOL

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree, but cant fight big Co, they said i should have noticed it in the email confirmation, and they are not wrong. My bad

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey looney2ns want to help me setup camera so I can see on iphone outside of WiFi? Is the NVR the problem? NVR connects to router, cameras connect ot POE Switch and POE switch connects to router. I am using IDSSM lite on iphone when I leave the wifi no cameras.
I can start a new thread if that is more appropriate.

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is this camera able to withstand being on an outdoor wall with no soffit above it? I've had bad luck with bullets (Hik 2032) taking on moisture and fogging up in this location. Hoping to have better luck with a turret.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My Dahuas and NVR just shipped! I've also got my 24 port w/12 Poe switch installed. Two 4tb Hdds are waiting in the ready too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
You are correct, but when you pay $100 more, (which I did buying a hikvision from them) before I ventured to buy the next one from China directly I have to wonder if the profit it excessive, considering they probably pay less than I do when THEY buy them so $100 or more markup on one camera, well I'm sure you know how much the profit is. And yes, everyone has a choice, I chose not to pay what I see as excessive markup. :)
You are making a lot of assumptions here on their mark up. I cannot speak for them but I can say I have dealt with other companies like their business model and they had to buy from a Major USA re-seller of Dahua, pay fees for licensing or re branding in their name. With all that came support and warranty and NO way was their 100% markup period. Knowing what I paid for decent Dahua products from them i would guess perhaps 30 to 40 dollars a piece. These guys(not nellys) were not buying from mainland and if they were they could lose their distribution rights. Dahua has drastically changed it business model for USA distribution and if you want to get authentic dahua products here in the USA you will pay a lot more now. Now running a business and brick and mortar store you have overhead, employees to pay utilities, taxes, extreme increases in healthcare costs for your employees, it goes on and on. mainland China Ali sellers have none of that to worry about. Hopefully all your products you are purchasing on Ali hold up for you and don't start crapping out with some unknown defect because they cut corners on some component. If that were to happen(and it has) you will have zero recourse with the seller. History tells us these sellers come and go like the weather. Sellers on ali that have there own sub store of a larger store change companies like the wind. Beside the fact that they are selling unauthorized products with ZERO support from Dahua. Yes you saved $100 dollars but you are rolling the dice if you product craps out. I myself will most likely buy from ALI at some point for my personal use. If I were doing a job and i needed 20 cameras and a NVR I would buy from someone like Nellys again just knowing they will answer the phone if a major problem pops up.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
To each his own man, I don't buy Willy nilly Andy has a good rep, I let others be the guinea pigs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Now running a business and brick and mortar store you have overhead, employees to pay utilities, taxes, extreme increases in healthcare costs for your employees, it goes on and on. mainland China Ali sellers have none of that to worry about.
Wholesaler's have overhead too whether they're in the US or China.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd agree with this in most cases... I'm huge on supporting American products and business, even if I pay more.... but there is a line. If this cam is 170 shipped from Andy, and 250 or 300 in the US... it just makes no sense if I'm buying 5... even if one cam is bad, I'm still safe...

The difference is I've talked to Andy and he actually cares and will make things right. If there was no support from him... i would be more hesitant... he has helped the community by giving cameras to nayr for review to help people gather their own opinion instead of relying on dahua marketing or rolling the dice.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yep, really comes down to brick and mortar shops trying to compete with internet shops, I could fill my garage up with cameras and have UPS come by every day for a pallet of outgoing items and kick the shit out of any place in town that has to pay a couple grand a month on a lease..

controlling distribution is about controlling prices, pure and simple.. luckily China leaks like a sieve.. but w/electronics measures can be put in place to enforce distribution.. My company makes most physical hardware in China, but we have all the keys for the software and the trusted platform.. we also happen to be the most expensive and largest entrenched, wonder how.

I dont mind supporting local companies at all, as long as they are not just an online vendor reselling stuff.. if they add some value, then lets do it.. otherwise they are just a middleman and im not supporting the middlemen just out of some blind patriotism.. do you love ticketmaster or would you rather just give your cash to the artist? Your buying it off the internet, your money is leaving your local area all together.. who cares if it crosses a border, im sure that money goes alot further in China than Seattle towards helping hardworking people.

Security companies make most of there money installing and supporting them for businesses, they typically are quite hostile to us DIYers except a few trying to make a lil extra cash on the side w/an internet store.. most wont even acknowledge a need for residential use because were so damn cheap.

no US companies are offering these products yet; and im not waiting to pay double to the middleman when there's another middleman willing to give it to me for a better deal today.. u think if this was on Amazon Prime for $230 anyone would give andy the time of day? please.. just wait and see.

If you support Capitalism then you know that brick and mortar shops going extinct is just how the market works, adapt or die.. as a Consumer I have zero obligation to keep your dying business model alive

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
yep, really comes down to brick and mortar shops trying to compete with internet shops, I could fill my garage up with cameras and have UPS come by every day for a pallet of outgoing items and kick the shit out of any place in town that has to pay a couple grand a month on a lease..

controlling distribution is about controlling prices, pure and simple.. luckily China leaks like a sieve.. but w/electronics measures can be put in place to enforce distribution.. My company makes most physical hardware in China, but we have all the keys for the software and the trusted platform.. we also happen to be the most expensive and largest entrenched, wonder how.

I dont mind supporting local companies at all, as long as they are not just an online vendor reselling stuff.. if they add some value, then lets do it.. otherwise they are just a middleman and im not supporting the middlemen just out of some blind patriotism.. do you love ticketmaster or would you rather just give your cash to the artist? Your buying it off the internet, your money is leaving your local area all together.. who cares if it crosses a border, im sure that money goes alot further in China than Seattle towards helping hardworking people.

Security companies make most of there money installing and supporting them for businesses, they typically are quite hostile to us DIYers except a few trying to make a lil extra cash on the side w/an internet store.. most wont even acknowledge a need for residential use because were so damn cheap.

no US companies are offering these products yet; and im not waiting to pay double to the middleman when there's another middleman willing to give it to me for a better deal today.. u think if this was on Amazon Prime for $230 anyone would give andy the time of day? please.. just wait and see.

If you support Capitalism then you know that brick and mortar shops going extinct is just how the market works, adapt or die.. as a Consumer I have zero obligation to keep your dying business model alive
Amen, where's the US competition? Are there even any American companies making surveillance cameras?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Amen, where's the US competition? Are there even any American companies making surveillance cameras?
not any companies paying taxes in America heh; probably in Ireland or Isle of Man.. like Apple is an American company, based overseas and making everything overseas.. but they have HQ in Merica!

anyone big enough is international, and nobody makes electronics in USA.. far too expensive, we'll design, develop and write code for em.. but only prototyping scale electronics manufacturing is done on US Soil, and its a f'n fortune compared to offshoring the same task... they pay for the fast turn around that you need in R&D, with months lead time getting shit done overseas you'll never get your product to market trying to get all the kinks worked out like that.