Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
wow thats a great color image, guess IR wont be a problem... rotate it sideways and run it in corridor mode, can you move it out from the corner a lil bit and take that wreath down?

mebe a bit more zoom and down tilt in corridor mode
Sure can, just give me until tomorrow night or Saturday. I took quick snapshots and video recordings to see if the install spots will work, but I haven't messed with any settings yet. Just pics/video with my lights on and off, and me walking by the area.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe a pointless question but Im seeing some mounting pics here and there where the two IRs are above the lens and others mounted with the IRs below.
Ould it possibly make a difference somehow in image or IR lighting affect one way or the other?
IR projecting out above vs. Below the cam?
Like maybe eve mounted it would be better to have them beneath the lens as it would be a touch further away from the roof area and maybe cause less IR reflection.
Depending on which way you set it, I assume there is maybe a flip image option, but I could not find it yet.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
typically you wanna put it as far away from the nearest surface as possible.. otherwise you wont really notice.

you can rotate the video in 90 degree increments, so whatever orientation suits you best and fix it in config.

I was flipping through the quick start guide earlier, you guys checking out this camera for install options should RTFM lol, plenty of diagrams show how the mount goes together and adjustments.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
typically you wanna put it as far away from the nearest surface as possible.. otherwise you wont really notice.

you can rotate the video in 90 degree increments, so whatever orientation suits you best and fix it in config.

I was flipping through the quick start guide earlier, you guys checking out this camera for install options should RTFM lol, plenty of diagrams show how the mount goes together and adjustments.
Some basic networking knowledge also helps.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I went through the manual. It is pretty detailed. I know how I'm installing....I was just curious about the possible effect of IR positioning even though it will not affect me.
I think it is a condition...like when my wife wonders why I'm reading technical specs of some product online I'm never going to buy anyway... curiosity + a little insomnia + access to infinite information on the net. o_O

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I went through the manual. It is pretty detailed. I know how I'm installing....I was just curious about the possible effect of IR positioning even though it will not affect me.
I think it is a condition...like when my wife wonders why I'm reading technical specs of some product online I'm never going to buy anyway... curiosity + a little insomnia + access to infinite information on the net. o_O
Best way to see what it will do is try it. :)

DuncanMcDonuts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I finally picked up my NVR 5216-16P-4KS2 and single 2MP Starlight yesterday and was setting it up. The image quality is great. I'm a big noob at any networking other than following the install wizard for my router, but I paired it using the native software app and the P2P and it was as easy as scanning a barcode to get remote access.

I'm still working my way through the manual to get the settings right, but some of the menu options don't match up with the different firmwares making it a little tricky to follow along. I can at least remotely access the cameras and watch playback for now. Next up is learning how to set alarm notifications. I have it set up for 24/7 recording on two 3TB HDDs. Does anyone know how much I'll be able to record at 1080p for 5 cameras before it overwrites?

Thanks, ipcamtalk, nayr, and Andy for your help and recommendations. I definitely need to order more and wire my house soon to complete my setup once I get the settings tweaked with the one camera.

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For this cam on the BEC and Empire store front.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
wow thats a great color image, guess IR wont be a problem... rotate it sideways and run it in corridor mode, can you move it out from the corner a lil bit and take that wreath down?

mebe a bit more zoom and down tilt in corridor mode.. this one is going to take some hand tuning with a display in view.
Can't seem to find corridor mode.. word search in manual or looking on my own in the settings. Wanna give a hint?

Bob Sherger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Andy can do discounts too if you contact him directly. These things are selling like hot cakes though.