Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

In 2nd half of this video there is no external light source other than tonights 1/2 moon, audio had to be disabled for that part because youtube didnt like it for some reason.

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah smartIR is enabled, exposure is auto, WDR is enabled, FPS is 15 and bitrate is 8192.. youtube compression is then added makes it look like the bitrate is worse than the raw.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Very nice. Like mine I notice the onboard IR seems pretty darn good.

danhimal

n3wb
Reaction score
I was looking to purchase 5x but your stores limit 2x each @EMPIRETECANDY . Will you be lifting that restriction any time soon? What are the odds of these being on sale for Singles Day 11.11? :D

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Fliped my rig arround, now here is a head to head with a 4MP Dahua w/IR Cannon.. this is not a low light situation really, I have 10W of IR power blasting this space and wow it does great with the starlight camera!

Dahua 4MP HFW4421D-AS (6mm):
Galileo NVR-Channel4-2016-11-09-20-48-15.jpg

Dahua 2MP Starlight Varifocal @ Half Zoom
Galileo NVR-Channel9-2016-11-09-20-49-11.jpg

Last edited:

Tsikura

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
wow. That's crazy. There's like no difference from the other video. Really tempted to get this cam. Are there cheaper versions of this thing without the zoom or something but just as good?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its worth every dollar of $170, as soon as I can get my hands on the bullet version of this with external audio and alarm IO I have 2 4MP Dahuas that will be replaced after only a few months.. they are that good.. turrets are hard to get with wide optic ranges, so the varifocal makes this a king among turrets.

next year's bonus might be spent on a black face starlight ptz :D

Last edited:

Tsikura

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah... I was planning on buying 2 x SD29204T-GN and 4 other turrets (haven't decided on yet) but I'm gonna put the money for those turrets and just get 2 of these and buy 2 more when I get the money. That 2nd shot looks so nice.

Tsikura

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I forgot to take one thing into consideration with these cameras. I want to place one facing towards the car, these things turns enough without issue right? There's not much light in the alley so I'd be happy buying this camera.

car.jpg

danhimal

n3wb
Reaction score
its worth every dollar of $170, as soon as I can get my hands on the bullet version of this with external audio and alarm IO I have 2 4MP Dahuas that will be replaced after only a few months.. they are that good.. turrets are hard to get with wide optic ranges, so the varifocal makes this a king among turrets.

next year's bonus might be spent on a black face starlight ptz :D
Which bullet are you referring to, the IPC-HFW5231E-Z? Why would one choose bullet over turret? My intended application is for monitoring exterior points of entry: front door, backyard gate, rear door. Decisions decisions...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Tsikura, you have full range of motion when installing, should be able to clock it 90 degrees offset on the mount.. that looks like you'll want to run it in cooridor mode, and it does support rotating the image in 90 degree offsets and mirroring it.

Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 9.25.36 PM.png

@danhimal, yes the IPC-HFW5231E-Z is what I am after next.. those have alarm inputs/outputs unlike the turret, and I rely on those on my existing cameras..

im not quite sure what to do with this one yet, think its going to replace the 4300S on the back porch.. or I might use it up front and convert the 4MP bullet into a secondary LPR camera.

Tsikura

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You are the man nayr. I'm sold on this beauty.

sodabrab

n3wb
Reaction score
I was thinking of using this for my driveway. Can this camera be mounted on a wall and still get a good angle of the driveway/road. Having a hard time picturing how it tilts.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you mean like this:
DH-IPC-HDW23A0RN-ZS.jpg

as I said earlier you can rotate the image in settings by 90 degree intervals.. so clock that flat side to whatever orientation you desire.

just be weary of IR reflection, I suspect with as sensitive as this thing is it wont take well to soffits blasting most of the IR back

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Picture quality is very nice. Might better take these than the mini ptz on some locations where i have not much use for panning.

And corgis are very nice dogs, i grew up with them. Basically a large dog personality packed in a small body :)