Dahua Starlight 40x PTZ - SD6AE240V-HNI

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@pinko I changed the ivs to intrusion 1st and 1 trip wire i had people walking down the street started to zoom in then just went around and looked at my bushes.

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
very interesting discussion, the same dilemmas went thru my head many times. I am not a virgin on buying camera from China, it was a Foscam PTZ and still working after some years, but of course always the "what if I need to return", anyways I may give it a try buying from Andy as basically everyone likes him on this website. I could wait max 3 weeks for the delivery, if it takes longer, well than may not be the price but the delivery time makes me decide.

Last edited:

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
@pinko I changed the ivs to intrusion 1st and 1 trip wire i had people walking down the street started to zoom in then just went around and looked at my bushes.
@jaycanter Did the Autotrack follow a target (as determined by your rules) then it either lost the target or wandered off chasing movement in the bushes? If so thats a start I guess :) If you could post footage and a screen shot of the your settings might help to improve results. Are you also using Blue Iris with this camera?

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@pinko It did for a few then just went off here's 2 videos where i was loading stuff in my truck then as i started walking towards it it just drifted up and right. the other as i started down the street it zoomed and went right up in the trees zooming also here's a couple pics of both my presets and yes i am using Blue Iris but the videos are off of the memory card in the cam

Attachments

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@pinko while i was taking pics it seen someone walking then it drifted off and then keep spinning till i stopped it. Lol I don't know why it didn't go back to preset. What annoying is i have 2 dji drones it can lock in on a subject and follow or just rotate around and move the camera to follow an object and is very accurate.

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
@pinko while i was taking pics it seen someone walking then it drifted off and then keep spinning till i stopped it. Lol I don't know why it didn't go back to preset. What annoying is i have 2 dji drones it can lock in on a subject and follow or just rotate around and move the camera to follow an object and is very accurate.
Sorry for late reply,been busy with other projects.
I was able to replicate the camera spinning and chasing branches. The only problem is I am not sure what I have changed to get the camera to do this?
Are you using Blue Iris too? I ask this because I have made more changes to BI than the Dahua camera settings. I have deliberately left the settings alone and will try to document, each step to get it back to the more reliable tracking setting I had previously.

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@pinko yes i am using Blue Iris but i just have it set to record continuously. Can BI change the settings in the camera? I was under the impression that it can only access presets nothing else.

Mats Frost

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently updated my SD6AE240V-HNI with the latest firmware; PTZ (V3.02.93.R.170518) and MAIN (V2.460.0000.8.R.20170329). All went well, and the camera has been working well a week or so after the update.
Now, after the weekly automatic reboot, the camera got stuck in an endless reboot cycle, and I cannot connect to the internal web server any longer. The camera responds to ping, but Telnet does not seems to work (probably because I haven't enabled it before).
Have anyone else here experiensed anything similar, and what is the cure?
Are there any known backdoors to the Dahua cameras that can regain control, or force a factory reset?

Thanks
//Mats

Mats Frost

n3wb
Reaction score
And yes, I know that there is a newer firmware out now (V2.600.0000.3.R.20170717), and I will of course update as soon as I can access the camera again.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Once you gain access, turn off nightly reboot. As you have found, that's a good time for things to go south.

You will probably want to open the cam up and press the reset button inside.

Mats Frost

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, good point. I will do that.

I guess I will have no other choice than to climb up that pole then and bring that camera down for an old fashioned reset. I kind of was hoping for a magic trick via the Ethernet instead... :)

I wonder if anyone has contacted Dahua about this and filed a bug report. Shouldn't it be possible to retrieve some debug files from the camera, if configured?!

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
Once you gain access, turn off nightly reboot. As you have found, that's a good time for things to go south.

You will probably want to open the cam up and press the reset button inside.
Does the reset just go back to the factory settings?

I just did a firmware update (V2.600.0000.3.R.20170717) and the cam is nowhere to be found on the network..

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, I cycled power and the config tool couldn't find it...

Mats Frost

n3wb
Reaction score
The latest firmware release notes did mention something about "Unsigned firmware can’t be upgraded." Could this be the reason why you lost contact with the camera?
What is Dahua's definition of "unsigned firmware"? Would that include the "General" branch"?

Mats Frost

n3wb
Reaction score
:)
So very true, indeed,
but I consider the actual firmware to be still under development, and hope for improvements in every new release. Besides stability improvements, I would really like to see some enhancements in the autotracking algoritms. And maybe we could get an "advanced" mode, enabling more customization. One can wish anyway...

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
The latest firmware release notes did mention something about "Unsigned firmware can’t be upgraded." Could this be the reason why you lost contact with the camera?
What is Dahua's definition of "unsigned firmware"? Would that include the "General" branch"?

I would like to think if it was downloaded from Dahua site it would be a signed firmware, so I would hope this is not the case with the lost connection to the camera.
From what I have seen the general / DH_ is the same, just not the DH logo on the splash screen.

As far as "If it's not broke, don't fix it." I would totally agree in most cases.
But I also believe the firmware is still under development for this camera as well as the SD6AE830V-HNI.
As the last update included auto tracking with out having to use a IVS rule, and it works pretty well.

I was counting on their release notes for a improvement for this camera to make it worth the upgrade :
Smart codec
PFA+ Keep image clear during zooming

But now I am paying the price and can't connect to it....

Last edited:

Mats Frost

n3wb
Reaction score
Short update.
I brought down the camera today, and made a factory reset. Now everything is working fine again :). So no more nightly reboots for me. Thanks @looney2ns.

While at it, and for the common good, I tried to update to the latest firmware. Thankfully, the update process went well, and I was able to login afterwards. No extra reset needed after the software update.

@jmcu, when you tried to reset your camera, did you make a full factory reset (more than 60 seconds), or did you only press it briefly? If only the latter, then I would recommend a long reset and see what happens.

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
I did a long reset, I am able to ping the default IP address of the camera, but it is not in constant contact with the camera.
I am unable to use PSS or config tool to reach the device.
p1.JPG

Last edited: