Dahua Starlight 40x PTZ - SD6AE240V-HNI

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
A thread for discussion on the Dahua Starlight 40x PTZ - SD6AE240V-HNI.

I've got one of these bad boys coming my way thanks to Andy @ Empire Technology.

I'm interested in Installation tips, Reviews, Sample Video/Images, Optimum settings & technical advice.

Looking forward to seeing how we can all get the absolute best out of these Super PTZ's.
sd6ae240V-hni.png

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks Andy.
I have around 1 week to test/ get the cameras up and installed, then I'm away for ~3 weeks. Might have to call in a few favours to get it up and running. Will take plenty of pics so stay tuned. :)

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Installation tip of the day:

This camera is a beast. Almost 23 lbs with the included PFB203W mount. Adding a PFA151 corner mount and PFA120 j-box brings it to nearly 30 lbs. Need a secure location to keep the wobble to a minimum when zoomed in.

IMG_5561.JPG

That security chain on the mount should tip you off.

SD

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Technical tip of the Day: To get the most out of the camera, add an external mic.

The Microseven Outdoor Waterproof Mic ($20) has served the 5 external mic cams I have in service extremely well. They are very sensitive, durable and easy to set up. You will need to power it, either with its own 8 - 20V source, or split the POE/Power feed and step it down.

Amazon.com : Microseven M7WP-MIC waterproof outdoor Microphone for M7B57-WPS / M7B77-W / M7D77-POE Or Any IP Network Surveillance Camera & PTZ IP Camera with Audio Interface - An IP camera external microphone : Camera & Photo

For a clean and easy maintenance set up, I find these inexpensive 2.1mm/5.5mm barrel connectors from Amazon make the connections easy.

inShareplus 20 Pack 5.5 X 2.1mm Barrel Male and Female 12V DC Power Jack Adapter Connector Plug for CCTV Security Camera LED Strip - - Amazon.com

They can hook up power to the camera, power to the mics and/or any alarm sensors you may add to its 7 alarm inputs/2 alarm outputs.

For mic signal, the below RCA adapters work equally as well for a nice clean setup that can be disconnected for maintenance
if necessary.
Amazon.com: Diageng 10pcs Phono RCA Male Plug a AV Tornillo Terminal Plug Conector: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Bluecell 10pcs UTP Cat5/Cat6 Cable to AV RCA Female Screw Terminal Connector: Home Audio & Theater

SD

IMG_5617.JPG

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Solar Deity
Curious, do you have the noise filter on in the audio settings? Those cars should be much easier to hear.
Thanks for doing this writeup.
Lol. Nice call. The SD6AE has two input modes, line in and mic. I inadvertently had it on "line in", AND had the noise filter on. I suspected something was up when it wasn't as sensitive as the SD59's.

Good call. After the uploads, I corrected it and now needed to lower the "mic volume" from 100 down to 50.

SD

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
Technical tip of the Day: To get the most out of the camera, add an external mic.

The Microseven Outdoor Waterproof Mic View attachment 19655
Had the mic for a little while now. M7 were great to deal with for international Orders, took around 5 days from US to Aus.

For a clean and easy maintenance set up, I find these inexpensive 2.1mm/5.5mm barrel connectors from Amazon make the connections easy.

They can hook up power to the camera, power to the mics and/or any alarm sensors you may add to its 7 alrm inputs/2 alarm outputs.View attachment 19655
Easy maintenance and clean...Thanks, ordered them just now on Ebay.
Ive added part numbers/ links for reference or anyone chasing these items at a later date. (Jaycar -Aussie electronics store)
Jaycar Part Numbers PA3711 & PA3713
For mic signal, the below RCA adapters work equally as well for a nice clean setup that can be disconnected for maintenance
if necessary.View attachment 19655
Jaycar Part Numbers PA3717, PA3718

All great tips SD! :)

Attachments

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Had the mic for a little while now. M7 were great to deal with for international Orders, took around 5 days from US to Aus.

Easy maintenance and clean...Thanks, ordered them just now on Ebay.
Ive added part numbers/ links for reference or anyone chasing these items at a later date. (Jaycar -Aussie electronics store)
Jaycar Part Numbers PA3711 & PA3713

Jaycar Part Numbers PA3717, PA3718

All great tips SD! :)
Whoa! Where do you get the mic foam cover? I have wind noise more often than I prefer.

SD

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Frank van der Heide

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I guess the subject is now mics instead of actual footage from the SD6AE at night on autotracking with autozoom and slower moving subjects. I keep wondering why it's so hard to upload some more footage? I am starting to disbelieve that this PTZ is actually so much better than the SD59's. I haven't seen any footage yet that convinced me to buy the SD6AE 'Super PTZ'.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I guess the subject is now mics instead of actual footage from the SD6AE at night on autotracking with autozoom and slower moving subjects. I keep wondering why it's so hard to upload some more footage? I am starting to disbelieve that this PTZ is actually so much better than the SD59's. I haven't seen any footage yet that convinced me to buy the SD6AE 'Super PTZ'.
Pardon me @fenderman if I've crossed the line and overstepped my bounds.

I rescind my previous response. 9 months away, a new employer and a much less hectic schedule has forced me to re-think this reply.

You can read it in Frank's quote below if you need to, but that's not my character, or how I roll.
SD

Last edited:

Frank van der Heide

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Pardon me @fenderman if I've crossed the line and overstepped my bounds.

Hahaha. Hey Frank, go f*** yourself. Don't buy one. It's not for you, never will be, Save your $1100 and buy a Yunch, and change the sensor out. Sick of your bitching. GTFO of here.

I'm certainly not here to serve at your pleasure. Just a hobbyist playing with my new camera. When I get to: 1st finding something that suits you, and then uploading it, you'll never see it. Maybe, maybe not. I could give two shits if you ever buy one, or get your SD59 to operate like mine.

I live on a dead end street with 7 homes. You think I have, "actual footage from the SD6AE at night on autotracking with autozoom and slower moving subjects"??? FO. Buy one and find out if you want to know. I'm done catering to you and your neophyte skills. Actually, you can't even get one if you wanted to. 1st, you can't afford one and 2nd, they aren't available. Andy wouldn't consider selling you one. Why, so you can cry and bitch that you can't get it working correctly? Good luck finding one for $1100 somewhere else. Sorry. Move along. Maybe another forum would suit you and you're f****** crying better?

I'll be damned if you're going to muscle me in to uploading suitable footage so you can consider one? I like the mic covers. I asked about them. STFU. I'm not lifting a finger to help you, ever. You've been added to my ignore list. I'll never even see your shit anymore.........

SD
Hahaha, seems like even the smallest criticism brings out the best in some. Well anyways, my mind is set. No SD6AE for me. And @Solar Deity, I expected this kind of bad mouth reaction, so not really a shocker. You should mind your language though. It's below you (or perhaps not). But whatever, obviously I wasn't about to get the answers I (and not just I) was asking for anyways. Never mind.

And i guess asking @fenderman for His absolution ahead makes it okay to use childish language on a open forum. Hahaha, well i'm on your ignore list anyways now, so i guess you'll never see this.

:goodpost:

Last edited:

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
Temporarily mounted. Will make some adjustments in a few weeks after holidays. I noticed there is a big white thing attached to the underside. Should I remove it? :p

Attachments