Dahua Mini Black Face PTZ (SD29204S-GN & SD29204T-GN)

Promod117

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went ahead and purchased the Dahua bracket as mentioned in Bill's link above. Not sure that it is genuine, but still is more aesthetically pleasing. Gotta love Amazon Prime! You can easily tell from which country it originated. They must have an abundant supply of yellow shipping tape. The bracket comes complete with mounting hardware, BUT this will require a small modification or two, depending on your application. You will find that the heads of the screws supplied to mount the base are too tall. Either grind them down or get some button heads. I'm sure they're metric. The other thing, as suspected (and mentioned) is that the camera is larger than the base. No big deal if mounted indoors. I realize the camera is not IP-66 rated. A bead of silicone around the top circumference will go a long way if mounted outside. Here are some photos.

Dahua 1.jpgDahua 2.jpgdahua 4.jpgdahua 6.jpgdahua 7.jpgdahua 8.jpgdahua 9.jpg

BillG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went ahead and purchased the Dahua bracket as mentioned in Bill's link above. Not sure that it is genuine, but still is more aesthetically pleasing. Gotta love Amazon Prime! You can easily tell from which country it originated. They must have an abundant supply of yellow shipping tape. The bracket comes complete with mounting hardware, BUT this will require a small modification or two, depending on your application. You will find that the heads of the screws supplied to mount the base are too tall. Either grind them down or get some button heads. I'm sure they're metric. The other thing, as suspected (and mentioned) is that the camera is larger than the base. No big deal if mounted indoors. I realize the camera is not IP-66 rated. A bead of silicone around the top circumference will go a long way if mounted outside. Here are some photos.

View attachment 10480View attachment 10482View attachment 10483View attachment 10481View attachment 10484View attachment 10485View attachment 10486
Yeah, good idea about the silicone. Mine's right under the soffit, so I think it will be ok.

Jon Hunt

n3wb
Reaction score
How are you able to track? I going to get this camera and want to make sure I will be able to track. I am running blue iris

springheal

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread nayr. ALL your input has been very useful which made my decision much easier.

Cheers bud.

Reaction score
What do you think, would it be okay to use this camera outside under the roof? Seller didn't recommend using this outdoor, but the other (4x PTZ) Dahua camera lacks audio in, which is needed..

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I recommended to someone else to tape a piece of paper where you want your camera and wait a few big nasty rain storms.. if it has any water damage, think again, so could your camera.

Promod117

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I recommended to someone else to tape a piece of paper where you want your camera and wait a few big nasty rain storms.. if it has any water damage, think again, so could your camera.
That's one reason I haven't mounted mine yet. Not sure I want to risk it. The gable is facing west which will get ALL of the rain!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its really only the top of the camera you need to worry about, the access hole for the SD card slot and reset button are not gasketed.. and not sealed well.. if water gets between the surface you mount it and the camera it will surely leak right down onto the main board until it creates a large enough pool it shorts something out and damages the circuitry.

the body of the turret its self should be fine, motors wont be hurt by a bit of moisture if some managed to find its way in.. the cmos sensor is protected by glass and gravity since its more vertical than horizontal (drips wont pool on it)

as long as you have enough overhang that the surface tension of water wont be likely to reach it if the gutters are just overflowing and pouring over it would be fine in that position, its much like mine and the only real danger is from someone with a garden hose trying to clean the house.

If your really worried about it you can waterproof the camera further by disassembling it and spraying all the circuitry with a water resistant conformal coating.. just dont get any on the cmos sensor of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

dwlnvr

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the good work!
Will this Dahua SD29204S-GN work with my new LTN8916-P16 NVR...?
Newbie here....

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if it will take a generic ONVIF camera or RTSP stream, then it should take this, to some extent.. mixing and matching brands does not always work 100%, ptz functions through NVR may not work and its unlikely audio detection will be usable.

I can make no assurances, I use a Dahua NVR and with that it works perfectly fine.

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any idea where I can get the wireless version? I did search for SD29204S-GN-W and I didn't get much (maybe my google-fu is weak today). I don't care for PoE, since this is going into existing dome enclosure and power adapter is going to sit in the NEMA box.

ilrider78

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any idea where I can get the wireless version? I did search for SD29204S-GN-W and I didn't get much (maybe my google-fu is weak today). I don't care for PoE, since this is going into existing dome enclosure and power adapter is going to sit in the NEMA box.
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32615690571.html same seller nayr linked to.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
heads up, recording over wifi sucks ass.. id only use the Wifi version if I only intended to ever record to local SD Storage...

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
heads up, recording over wifi sucks ass.. id only use the Wifi version if I only intended to ever record to local SD Storage...
I run Ubiquity switched access points in my house (3X of them to cover 1 acre and house), same APs I use in my office filled with engineers. Other option would likely be using Ethernet over powerline adapter.
Really would be nice to have domed PTZ, though I realize I will need to use IR illuminators

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah so I dont care, I have 3 Ubiquiti AC Access points in my 1/4 acre house too and I'd never put an IP Camera on Wireless that was recording to a remote network device...

it will suck, to stream HD video to a remote device and save the file 24/7/365 you need guaranteed throughput always.. and your wifi cannot provide that, my wifi cannot provide that, nobody's wifi can provide that.. because I can kick every device offf all wifi networks with a simple app on my phone, let alone FCC regulations that state all wifi devices have to accept interference without complaint.

It'd be like trying to stream netflix all year long over wifi without ever having it drop and re-buffer, never going to happen... especially on 2.4Ghz

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I hear ya. I am in the boonies, so interference etc. isn't a concern. Cameras that do matter are all wired. This PTZ is more to run patrol of the general open area and act as a fill-in for blind spots. There isn't really crime around here (knock on wood), PTZ is more for checking on random stuff when I am out of town.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Even the boonies can be full of interference, I grew up in middle of nowhere KS without a computer other than mine for miles in any direction.. but the USAF had radar stations and I was in a flight path for landing.. so the'd totally wreck my wifi all the time.

But if your going to use it more as a webcam the recording wont be much concern, just stream off it when you are actually looking at it and it wont be too much of a burden for your wireless network.. you can record quite a bit of video onto the SD card if you set it up right.

FYI, I believe the Wireless version does not include any PoE support.. keep that in mind.

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would be getting one of those mini PTZs if I was looking for purely recording. Looking at theses Dahua PTZs, since I am thinking that they would serve as good deterrent when they are in big ass white dome enclosure. You never know where it is pointing, unlike the mini PTZs