Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
SD card filled again and I lost all recordings. Nice!
Use this latest firmware to update. After updating, make a default on the camera.
Have you ever try a different sd card ? Make sure the format is FAT32 , and read it via a SD card reader on your computer.

Last edited:

Zimberto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Use this latest firmware to update. After updating, make a default on the camera.
Have you ever try a different sd card ? Make sure the format is FAT32 , and read it via a SD card reader on your computer.
Thanks, I'll try the firmware. I only ever format the card in the camera.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
All, I’ve been testing the latest VOLT firmware (11/23) over the past week and wanted to share my tests (and video).

Let me get to the punchline that most people want up front. This is the best version of the FW for the VOLT chip (5442 in this specific test) yet. Now onto the details.

So, is this FW perfect, NO. There is still a little too much IR strength especially with off angle targets near center of lens and those that approach the camera in line of the IR beam. You’ll notice it on the face and jacket here. Whether it be in passing or relatively still movement, the IR strength is still not being adjusted enough. The good news is that the adjustments that have been made in 11/23 are happening a lot quicker thanks to notable code changes and certainly adjusting down more than they have in any previous version however there is still some room for improvement that I saw in my testing.

In terms of speed of adjustment seen in code + testing, here are the exposures that have had the most notable changes and react the quickest

IR Only
The 2 following exposures offer the greatest level of noticeable IR adjustment in this section
  • Fixed exposure 1/100 best tweak (quickest to adjust and with the highest level of adjustment)
  • Exposure Ranges = 1/60 to 1/100 (just slightly behind the fixed exposure adjustments expected)

IR + Bulb (1x 60w)
The 2 following exposures offer the greatest level of noticeable IR adjustment in this section
  • 0 to 1/60 (quickest to adjust in this section)
  • 1/60 to 1/100

So how would I recommend fixing the final small adjustments ? Well the adjustments are primarily being made based on size of target in view, portion of FOV it covers and distance to as well as coverage of the sensor. While this is one way to adjust, focusing now on compensating for highlights caused by the IR itself (in much the same manner as HLC helps mitigate inbound target / visible light) would be my recommendation. Therefore a few more tweaks specifically focused on highlights blown out by IR I think will help.

With all of that said, its been great to see the iterative changes Dahua has made to this FW based on the feedback of real world testing and code level I’ve shared along with other testers sharing their experiences with these releases too. I am going to ask that Dahua continue to tweak this a little further based on my findings BUT my advice to the 5442 users (and 5241-Z12, don’t forget that manual focus addition I mentioned HERE !) along with Andy is to upgrade to this FW and I think you’ll be pleased now overall. This is the best version of the FW yet.

Before I forget, SMD is still working well in this release as well, no noticeable regression there.

HTH and as always, reach out with any questions

Now for The Video

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I am waiting the official release for this fw, i will check with dahua when can send me a perfect version, right now the version has 1 step to be perfect ,but it's the best version we have till now.
If you want to test now, can contact me, i can send you for a testing too.

ReXT

n3wb
Reaction score
I am waiting the official release for this fw, i will check with dahua when can send me a perfect version, right now the version has 1 step to be perfect ,but it's the best version we have till now.
If you want to test now, can contact me, i can send you for a testing too.
No rush on my side, I will wait for the official release. Thank you.

Jgree32

n3wb
Reaction score
Recently got one of these cameras to learn the ropes.
My profile settings for "day" and "night" don't seem to be sticking. I adjusted them last night and saved them through web browser interface and this morning they all seem back to defaults.

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Jgree32 - some of these cams get buggy - many of us on here will hit save 3 times and then refresh to ensure they stick. Even if you only hit save once, click the refresh to be sure they stuck.

Also did you make any other changes after this? I have one that resets picture settings whenever I make a change to the IVS rules.

Jgree32

n3wb
Reaction score
Still getting acquainted with this camera and blueiris. Working with only 1 camera until I feel confident to expand system.
Been playing with stream settings comparing CBR vs VBR.
Noticing when using VBR mode, I get a noisy/pulsating image unless I use an I Frame interval of 2x the FPS. Ie a setting of 60 for 30fps. Max quality setting and max bitrate.
Similar to what that link refers to as "Pulsating image"
In CBR mode I do not see this behavior.
Is this to be expected?

Reaction score
Is this to be expected?
Yup. Folks have stated this. I just use CBR. See no reason to vary the bit rate. I am not worried about storage space. I have 3x10TB drives. Gives me about 28 days of recordings. If it was not important enough to save it elsewhere in 28 days, then it is not needed in my book.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yup. Folks have stated this. I just use CBR. See no reason to vary the bit rate. I am not worried about storage space. I have 3x10TB drives. Gives me about 28 days of recordings. If it was not important enough to save it elsewhere in 28 days, then it is not needed in my book.
Can I ask how many cameras? 24/7 correct...?

Reason I ask, I want to add/build another NAS (rack mounted) just for recorded video, presently I am sharing a NAS.

Reaction score
Can I ask how many cameras? 24/7 correct...?
Right now 26 cams running 24/7 recording direct to disk bvr. BI is running about 17,000kB/s and 615 MP/s. All cams are running 15fps except for one 5442 Z4 at 30fps and the two 5241 z12 LPR cams running at 25fps. Not all cams are running the sub stream option. Six are 4MP and the rest are 2MP cams.

I misspoke earlier. The 28 days was before I installed the LPR cams. It is now 21 days of recordings on those 30TB.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Still getting acquainted with this camera and blueiris. Working with only 1 camera until I feel confident to expand system.
Been playing with stream settings comparing CBR vs VBR.
Noticing when using VBR mode, I get a noisy/pulsating image unless I use an I Frame interval of 2x the FPS. Ie a setting of 60 for 30fps. Max quality setting and max bitrate.
Similar to what that link refers to as "Pulsating image"
In CBR mode I do not see this behavior.
Is this to be expected?
Yes especially with H.265.
On a related point I use Intel Quicksync,but I can detect reduced quality compared to using CPU. Something to be mindful of you just need a little bit more detail to make out licence plates.
I have not seen this discussed here so could just be something unique to my deployments.

Arnold Lift

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is it true that these 5442 Models cant do a Motion Recording when mounted at 4,5 Meters height and Hikvisions Colorvu is the better choice?

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is it true that these 5442 Models cant do a Motion Recording when mounted at 4,5 Meters height and Hikvisions Colorvu is the better choice?
Wouldn’t that depend on the focal length?
4-5m is generally too high, not good for making out faces.
I personally record 24x7 and use Deepstack AI to flag any relevant motion events, however during my testing I didn’t encounter any issues with the cam not triggering motion events via onvif.