Dahua IP camera recommendation

Which is better for home perimeter monitoring?

• Dahua N45FJ62

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Amcrest IP8M-2779EW-AI

• Dahua N45EJN2

• Total voters

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 5442 and N45FJ62 are the same camera. The 5442 is the unbranded international version and the N45FJ62 is the USA version of the Dahua 5442 camera.

The N45FJ62 is more in part because you are purchasing from a larger company and paying for the Dahua logo. But the 5442 is better built out of metal with a security screw. The N45FJ62 base is plastic with an easy to flip pull.

The 5442 you linked is sold by @EMPIRETECANDY here and that is his camera in your Amazon link (empiretech and Loryta are his names for Dahua OEM). You will get great customer service from him.

The Amcrest is 8MP on a sensor designed for 2MP, so it will be horrible at night and should really be avoided.

Reaction score
The 5442 and N45FJ62 are the same camera. The 5442 is the unbranded international version and the N45FJ62 is the USA version of the Dahua 5442 camera.

The N45FJ62 is more in part because you are purchasing from a larger company and paying for the Dahua logo.

The 5442 you linked is sold by @EMPIRETECANDY here and that is his camera in your Amazon link (empiretech and Loryta are his names for Dahua OEM). You will get great customer service from him.

The Amcrest is 8MP on a sensor designed for 2MP, so it will be horrible at night and should really be avoided.
Thank you for the input!! how about N45EJN2?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The N45EJN2 is the full color version of the 5442.

This camera will not see infrared. It comes with two built-in white LED instead of infrared.

You would only get this one IF you have enough light at night or are willing to run the built-in white LED lights, which most don't use because of bugs or makes the camera obvious.

The 5442 that Empiretech sells can be forced into color, so that is better option that can see infrared if you end up not having enough light, but he does sell the full color version as well if you want to go that route.

But again, these cameras are not magic and don't be fooled by the name Full Color - it still needs light.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See this thread for the most commonly suggested cameras here based on distance to IDENTIFY and represent the best overall value in terms of performance and picture quality day and night:

Reaction score
thanks for your the info, its very helpful.

how is 5442 and N45FJ62 the same? I see some differences which tells me N45FJ62 is better. Please correct me if I am wrong.

5442N45FJ62
Minimum Illumination: 0.002 Lux@F1.6
Minimum Illumination:
[Color] 0.0007 lux at F1.6 (30 IRE)
[B/W] 0.0004 lux at F1.6 (30 IRE)
[IR on] 0 lux at F1.6
StarlightStarlight+
RAM/ROM: 512MB/128MB
RAM/ROM: 1 GB/4 GB
??Four (4) Streams
??Five-year Warranty*

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is the specs of the original 5442.

The newest version is the S3 chipset that has improved performance over the original. It just hasn't been updated on Amazon's site yet.

Here is a thread showing comparisons for the Z4E version of the 5442:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
For 5 years warranty based on the selling price, not worth to buy at such high price to get 5 years, most of our cams can work great at 5 years. Camera have higher rate fail at 1-1.5 years after use, so we do 2 years warranty. The DOA rate around 0.2% at 2 years . 5 years later camera may have update twice. :D

Reaction score
For 5 years warranty based on the selling price, not worth to buy at such high price to get 5 years, most of our cams can work great at 5 years. Camera have higher rate fail at 1-1.5 years after use, so we do 2 years warranty. The DOA rate around 0.2% at 2 years . 5 years later camera may have update twice. :D
what cost difference? 5442 is for $160-5% off on amazon while N45FJ62 is $155 on bhphoto. I am not able to understand what you are saying.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bhphoto shows $286.18 to me.

If the prices are comparable, personally I would purchase from Empiretech as he will get better firmware due to his relationship with Dahua. There are plenty of examples demonstrating this.

Nolesfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would buy the 5442s and NVRs from Andy at Empirecandy all day long. Over the past several years I have purchased probably 200 cameras from him, and always received quality products, great and fast support. You will not find better service or product. I have dealt with several different distributors in the past, and prefer to buy directly from Andy now.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 same above.

His cameras and NVRs are international models and many of them are not available through Dahua USA authorized dealers, but his cameras and NVRs are usually better than what you can find from a USA authorized dealer.

You can update the firmware on Andy's cameras and NVRs from the Dahua website, thus proving they are real Dahua. But you will find that the firmware we get from him is actually better and more recent than what is on the Dahua website because many members here provide feedback to Andy and then Dahua makes modifications to the firmware and sends back to him and then he sends out to his customers. These have been great improvements that Dahua doesn't even update their firmware and add to their website. So many of us are running a newer firmware than those that purchase Dahua cameras through professional installers. Smart IR on the 5442 series is one such improvement. Autotracking on the 49225 and 49425 PTZ is another. We got the next version of AI SMD 3.0 prior to anyone else as well.

Look at the threads here where members are actually testing firmware and improving it for Dahua - find a Dahua dealer with that type of relationship that Andy has with Dahua - I don't think you will find it. Look at the Dahua 4k camera on the 1/1.2" sensor as an example - Dahua provides cameras to Andy to sell before Dahua even made it available and look at all the improvements being made to the firmware from input from customers right here on this site. And the kicker is, we are not Dahua's target market - it is the professional installers...