Dahua HDW-4631C-A

laner

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey All,

First time poster and a bit of a cam noob.

My questions are about the Dahua HDW-4631C-A:
I purchased the one in the link below but from what Ive read, it wasnt a good choice because it is Chinese?

Can anyone confirm and maybe explain (in laymans terms) why that is a bad thing?
I vaguely remember a few years back that Dahua had some kind of security breach/hack thing happen, Is that all cleared up?

I really just bought this thing out of ignorance, so it seems, and I really just want to have some security at the front of my house.

Thanks for any help :) Its much appreciated.

Dahua DH-IPC-HDW4631C-A 6MP POE Network IP IP67 H.265 Built-in Mic Dome Camera | eBay

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey All,

First time poster and a bit of a cam noob.

My questions are about the Dahua HDW-4631C-A:
I purchased the one in the link below but from what Ive read, it wasnt a good choice because it is Chinese?

Can anyone confirm and maybe explain (in laymans terms) why that is a bad thing?
I vaguely remember a few years back that Dahua had some kind of security breach/hack thing happen, Is that all cleared up?

I really just bought this thing out of ignorance, so it seems, and I really just want to have some security at the front of my house.

Thanks for any help :) Its much appreciated.

Dahua DH-IPC-HDW4631C-A 6MP POE Network IP IP67 H.265 Built-in Mic Dome Camera | eBay
Welcome @laner

Please note we've covered this topic numerous times here in the forum as well as the cliff notes.

Recommend seeing the cliff notes if you have not yet looked at them, they are created from a good collection of knowledge and experience shared by members here.

laner

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome @laner

Please note we've covered this topic numerous times here in the forum as well as the cliff notes.

Recommend seeing the cliff notes if you have not yet looked at them, they are created from a good collection of knowledge and experience shared by members here.
Hey mat200,

Thanks, Ill be sure to have a more thorough read. How do I confirm if mine is, in fact a Chinese cam? It was purchased from a Chinese guy in Australia. :confused:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey mat200,

Thanks, Ill be sure to have a more thorough read. How do I confirm if mine is, in fact a Chinese cam? It was purchased from a Chinese guy in Australia. :confused:
Hi @laner

1) Google: "Dahua IPC-HDW4631C-A"
2) See if the first page results return a Dahua website with a page listing for the camera in English - if not, then you have a non-international / non-usa market camera.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm and maybe explain (in laymans terms) why that is a bad thing? I vaguely remember a few years back that Dahua had some kind of security breach/hack thing happen, Is that all cleared up?
IMO, one of the bigger things with this camera is that the official Dahua firmware for it only supports Chinese.

If your camera has English prompts in the WebUI, then it's running a "hacked" (unofficial) version of Dahua's firmware. Obviously someone added other languages to the firmware, but who knows if other things were added/changed, or if the firmware includes the fixes for the known security issues (that Dahua fixed in official firmware versions). There don't seem to be any updates to the unofficial firmware, and trying to restore the original firmware (which is Chinese only) has caused some folks cameras to brick, so you're more or less stuck with this specific firmware version.

No matter what camera you have, the general security recommendation is "don't make it directly accessible from the Internet" (i.e. do not port forward to it, or allow it to use uPNP), which reduces the chances anyone can reach into your network and hack the camera.

Last edited:

laner

n3wb
Reaction score
The seller has agreed to have it returned for a refund so I will be able to get something else.

No matter what camera you have, the general security recommendation is "don't make it directly accessible from the Internet"
I think I might be missing the point of having an IP Camera?

Is there an option to have a simple setup with an IP camera that I can remote view without needing a degree in IT to install? lol

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
The seller has agreed to have it returned for a refund so I will be able to get something else.

Is there an option to have a simple setup with an IP camera that I can remote view without needing a degree in IT to install? lol
Camera(s) connects to POE switch. POE switch connects to PC running Blue Iris. PC connects to router. Router creates VPN accessible from the internet.

When home, connect directly to BI PC to watch camera or view clips. When out and about, connect to VPN then open BI app.

Works a treat.

To isolate camera from internet, I have a separate network card in the PC, which connects to the POE switched(es). All cameras are on a subnet that the PC can reach via network card 2 , but the cameras themselves have no route to the internet or vice versa. The PC is connected to the router via network 1 (motherboard built in network).

Lots of other ways to do it but this way is simple enough for me to figure out, cheap, and works!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Hi @laner

Simple solution - DO NOT view it from outside the home, use your router firewall settings to block it.

Seriously, consumers are being sold all sorts of internet connected devices which will someday be cyberjacked. Just like all the folks buying cars which unlock automagikally when you walk by it.... just a question of when a clever thief gets your car...

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bigger consumer brands like Nest, Arlo, etc take care of that for you, but as you've probably noticed, they charge a monthly fee for that convenience.

Many Dahua models (with official firmware) support a service called P2P which allows you to remotely view your camera without having to make it publicly accessible to the Internet (i.e. no port forwarding/uPNP required). IMO, this solution is significantly less risking that port fowarding/uPNP, but there is risk if someone gets your P2P credentials (either from your not protecting them, or from someone hacking Dahua's P2P server).

I'd guess that most folks here setup their own VPN for remotely viewing their cameras. I'd also guess that 95% of them don't have IT degrees. There's a big VPN HOW TO thread floating around here that gets used a lot.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I was shocked how easy it was to set up a VPN. Like, 3 minutes maybe? My Asus AC 86-U has built in VPN server capability, so I just told it what password and Username to use, and was off and running. Input that information and my IP address into my phone's VPN configuration and boom all set.

laner

n3wb
Reaction score
Awesome info guys, I really appreciate it.

A Degree was a bit of an over statement, but to someone that just wants to plug and play, VPNs, POEs and Subnets seem arduous.

So, if I am not using an IP camera for what seems to be one of its main selling points, (to view over the internet) I could technically just run the Chinese Dahua (HDW-4631C-A) that I bought and run it straight to PC via an injector and view it via Blue Iris or other suitable app? If it is not connected to the internet there really isn't that much of an issue with the Chinese firmware...right?
Not being able to remote view is by no means a deal breaker for me.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem with the hacked firmware is that you have no idea, at all, exactly what it has, can do, or do to you. For all you know it will happily report everything it "sees" to someone else for their use as well. Setting up a VPN may seem "arduous" but is worth the effort. Plug and play does not mix with security at all.

Short answer, there is no plug and play solution unless you use a cloud based device. That has a monthly fee for that convenience and makes you reliant on their servers/cloud to be able to watch your own camera. WiFi is even worse since it can be hacked locally as well.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, if I am not using an IP camera for what seems to be one of its main selling points, (to view over the internet) ..
Hi @laner

I have IP cameras which are not connected to the internet as I do not see connectivity to the internet being the main point for an IP camera.

To me there's a lot more flexibility in a IP + cat5e/6 solution than the more traditional coax bnc based one.

Granted, connectivity to the internet is certainly one of the benefits of any IP based system - and note that DVRs now are able to be connected to your LAN so you can view DVR feeds via the internet.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Yes, you are missing the point. There is an option that does not require any work on your part. Its called nest/ring. Crappy cameras with crappy images. But its easy to setup. They charge a lazy/stupid tax for people who dont want to work at learning basic setup. This tax is lifetime and perpetual. You are reminded of your laziness each time you pay the monthly fee or look at their subpar images or missed captures. Alternatively, you can pay an installer to install proper ip cameras with good images, if reading a few threads is too difficult.

laner

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, you are missing the point.
Using an IP Camera to view images over the internet? Unless you are going to tell me that yours also makes toast in the morning, I think I've got a firm grasp of what their primary intended function is.

Any recommendations for an entry level unit that might suit my needs (obviously non subscription type)
The area is approx 15 meters x 10 Meters, It is very well lit at night with sensors and a large array of lights.
I really don't need anything over the top, just 1 cam and decent enough clarity.

Thanks for all your info so far :)

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Get a 1 camera license for Blue Iris. Run BI on a PC on your LAN. Get a Dahua Starlight camera English/Intl version from Andy on this forum. Connect camera to network with POE injector. Configure camera in BI. Set up VPN on your router so you can connect remotely via app or web without port forwarding. Done.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Using an IP Camera to view images over the internet? Unless you are going to tell me that yours also makes toast in the morning, I think I've got a firm grasp of what their primary intended function is.

Any recommendations for an entry level unit that might suit my needs (obviously non subscription type)
The area is approx 15 meters x 10 Meters, It is very well lit at night with sensors and a large array of lights.
I really don't need anything over the top, just 1 cam and decent enough clarity.

Thanks for all your info so far :)
Ring/nest is for you. Trust me on this.

laner

n3wb
Reaction score
Ring/nest is for you. Trust me on this.
Why would Ring/Nest be for me?

Get a 1 camera license for Blue Iris. Run BI on a PC on your LAN. Get a Dahua Starlight camera English/Intl version from Andy on this forum. Connect camera to network with POE injector. Configure camera in BI. Set up VPN on your router so you can connect remotely via app or web without port forwarding. Done.
Thanks Frankenscript,

That was the general direction I was heading before I realised that the Dahua HDW-4631C-A was not suitable. if I were to decide not to use the camera for remote viewing at all, would BI still be the best option in your opinion, or would there be a more suitable app? Finding a Starlight in English in Australia is going to be the biggest issue I think. Shipping from the US is so expensive and this forum seems predominantly US.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why would Ring/Nest be for me?

Thanks Frankenscript,

That was the general direction I was heading before I realised that the Dahua HDW-4631C-A was not suitable. if I were to decide not to use the camera for remote viewing at all, would BI still be the best option in your opinion, or would there be a more suitable app? Finding a Starlight in English in Australia is going to be the biggest issue I think. Shipping from the US is so expensive and this forum seems predominantly US.
Because you are too lazy to read and learn.