Dahua Enable Telnet

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Speed666 A big more information would be nice. On which device/ Firmware ? How did you connect?

Speed666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Little more info. Latest FW: DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_Eng_P_Stream3_V2.460.0000.14.R.20170720.bin
Mode: IPC-HB5330.

Firmware is signed using RSA key, files inside also checked on upgrade. Nothing can be done. Inspecting right now, instead of telnet, there is SSH option in Security where you enable SSH on WebIF. Password trick same as on older models with padded string on front of password.

Code:
#shell

Domain Accounts:

Domain Accounts  not avaliable
#

spring2017

n3wb
Reaction score
Little more info. Latest FW: DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_Eng_P_Stream3_V2.460.0000.14.R.20170720.bin
Mode: IPC-HB5330.

Firmware is signed using RSA key, files inside also checked on upgrade. Nothing can be done. Inspecting right now, instead of telnet, there is SSH option in Security where you enable SSH on WebIF. Password trick same as on older models with padded string on front of password.

Code:
#shell

Domain Accounts:

Domain Accounts  not avaliable
#
could you have a remote guide for me , after all ,when using the ssh , my computer can't log in the camera by ssh . skype fengyundym ,for further guide for experience .tks.

cor35vet

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Enabling telnet worked NP. How might I un-hack my cameras that have some auto delete script running. The latest firmware for my camera prevents downgrade to older firmware. Is there a way to downgrade using the config tool? I have flashed and hard reset my hacked cameras and the auto delete bug remains thru it all. And my SD52C225U-HNI writes to the FTP logs like crazy from day one. I want to know how to extract the code, edit the code and then reflash but it seems a bit over my head without perfectly clear instructions and allot of copy and pasting. Just removing the auto delete bug would be huge. I guess it's possible to extract the loaded image and compare to factory maybe - but factory flash and hard resets didn't remove the auto delete bug. Telnet is easy to enable and disable - thanks.
In telnet try: killall upgraded then upgraded and connect to the camera via ConfigTool on port 3800.
If that doesn't work the TFTP method always does but is obviously more complicated.. Dahua IPC unbricking / recovery over serial UART and TFTP

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
dropping telnetd back into the image and adding it to init scripts?
Can someone elaborate on how this is done? When trying to start a Telnet connection, I never get the chance to enter a name/password; it gives a "cannot connect" immediately. When looking through the firmware files of the firmware that I have installed, there is a file already present called "telnetd" located at romfs-x.squashfs.img/sbin .......When opening the "telnetd" file in a text editor, it says "../bin/busybox"......

Does this mean telnetd is already present? If not, how would I add it back to the firmware file so that I can reinstall the firmware?

cor35vet

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can someone elaborate on how this is done? When trying to start a Telnet connection, I never get the chance to enter a name/password; it gives a "cannot connect" immediately. When looking through the firmware files of the firmware that I have installed, there is a file already present called "telnetd" located at romfs-x.squashfs.img/sbin .......When opening the "telnetd" file in a text editor, it says "../bin/busybox"......

Does this mean telnetd is already present? If not, how would I add it back to the firmware file so that I can reinstall the firmware?
Which camera / firmware ? I could probably put it in there (or already have: Dahua Firmware Mod Kit + Modded Dahua Firmware )
The way I do it is compile a custom telnet server "utelnetd" for the cameras architecture, put it into romfs /sbin and put /sbin/utelnetd -p 2300 -l /bin/login & into romfs /etc/init.d/rcS before the line /usr/etc/imod

cor35vet

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to have to buy another camera from Dahua to install in the place of this wonky SD52C225U-HNI. After I have swapped the new with the wonky camera I'll hit you up again and be for warned. I'll be asking for detailed how to's. Also thoroughly prepared to make a donation of some yet unknown price. You can PM me maybe. The interaction would start of with - So I've enabled telnet supposedly, now just type, killall upgrade somewhere? Between now and the time I have the camera down I'll read more thoroughly thru the post you have linked. Would anyone have any interest in seeing what the script is that is auto deleting files written to the FTP after 26 hours? I'd happily post it if I could display it somehow. Thanks again and until then...
Well once you enabled telnet, use putty to login to the telnet server on the camera.
There you get prompted with a login, instructions in the OP of this thread.
After you've logged in you have a root shell on the cameras linux system. And that's where you put those commands in.
killall upgraded = kills all processes with the name upgraded, in case it's already running
upgraded = runs the program called upgraded (if it exists and is in PATH)
I suggest that so you can see what it says, if there are any errors ^
If you've never touched linux before then messing around with embedded linux on ip cameras might not be the best thing to start with ^^

cor35vet

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, why do you want to downgrade your camera?
Wouldn't an upgrade be a better idea?
If you need telnet on the newer firmware I can patch it for you, if I'm correct that SD52C225U-HNI | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology is your camera.

Edit: One reason I can think of that your camera won't let you flash older firmware is that the new firmware has signature verification while the old one doesn't and does not come with a sign.img

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Which camera / firmware ? I could probably put it in there (or already have: Dahua Firmware Mod Kit + Modded Dahua Firmware )
The way I do it is compile a custom telnet server "utelnetd" for the cameras architecture, put it into romfs /sbin and put /sbin/utelnetd -p 2300 -l /bin/login & into romfs /etc/init.d/rcS before the line /usr/etc/imod
Attached is the firmware I'm using. If you would be willing to add it, I would greatly appreciate it. Or perhaps see if it's already there and I'm doing something wrong...Having very little Linux experience, it's all greek to me!

Attachments

cor35vet

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Attached is the firmware I'm using. If you would be willing to add it, I would greatly appreciate it. Or perhaps see if it's already there and I'm doing something wrong...Having very little Linux experience, it's all greek to me!
Are you sure that's the correct firmware for your camera? Probably why you can't flash it is because it's the wrong firmware?
The Firmware tab on SD52C225U-HNI | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology says that this camera is using SD-Eos firmware, you linked SD-Mao.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are you sure that's the correct firmware for your camera? Probably why you can't flash it is because it's the wrong firmware?
The Firmware tab on SD52C225U-HNI | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology says that this camera is using SD-Eos firmware, you linked SD-Mao.
I think I'm getting crossed up with the other poster...lol. My cam is SD49225T-HN which uses SD_Mao_Rhea that I posted above. It flashes fine on my cam and have been using this firmware for months....It just doesn't seem to support Telnet access...Trying to get Telnet support added to it.

cor35vet

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, that was my fault, I got the two of you mixed up.
So Miles wants to flash DH_SD-Eos_EngSpnFrn_N_Stream3_V2.420.0001.0.R.20161220 on his SD52C225U-HNI.
Though I'd suggest just setting up an NFS share, FTP sucks.
Would that be a possibility for you?

And wxman wants telnet access to his SD49225T-HN.
The firmware you posted looks old though, how about DH_SD-Mao-Rhea_Eng_P_Stream3_IVS_V2.600.0000.2.R.20170905 from here: SD49225T-HN | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology ?

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay, that was my fault, I got the two of you mixed up.
So Miles wants to flash DH_SD-Eos_EngSpnFrn_N_Stream3_V2.420.0001.0.R.20161220 on his SD52C225U-HNI.
Though I'd suggest just setting up an NFS share, FTP sucks.
Would that be a possibility for you?

And wxman wants telnet access to his SD49225T-HN.
The firmware you posted looks old though, how about DH_SD-Mao-Rhea_Eng_P_Stream3_IVS_V2.600.0000.2.R.20170905 from here: SD49225T-HN | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology ?
Correct. The reason I'm wanting the old firmware is because the new firmware (v2.6 from last month) has a number of bugs in it. Another poster upgraded to that a few days ago and was having all sorts of problems. The one I posted from November of last year has been fairly stable for me, so I'm a bit scared to chance the newer one just yet.

cor35vet

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure. What I have setup here is the cameras write to FileZilla that is running on a laptop and the FileZilla folders are also DropBox folders so pretty near to real time uploads of video clips and there is a DropBox link that a few people use to see the activity on the apartment complex drives. Client for MS networks is un-installed as is file and print sharing. TCP/IP over netbios is disabled on all my PC's. I don't think well of anything that uses share as part of the description but that just may be because I'm naïve. It's cleaner than windows 10 built in FTP that required client for ms and file and print sharing along with a user for each of the 6 cameras. I'm not aware of anything about FTP on a local network - transferring files between only local, (LAN), devices - that sucks. Care to elaborate?
My suggestion is to use Linux with XFS or ZFS (depending on how many disks / RAID) so you can split up HDDs into smaller blocks and export those through NFS (Network File System - it's a protocol).
For syncing I'd use syncthing, free software and self hosted.

But not everyone can be an expert so try this:
There seem to be some implementations of NFS for windows, I've never used them but you can try your luck:
WinNFSd
Networking Software for Windows
Free Network File Server (FreeNFS) for Windows
( NFS For Windows )

And others if you google "windows nfs server"
In the Dahua WebUI go to the Storage tab and instead of FTP select NAS, there you can enter your NFS servers IP address and the path of the share (that you've set up).
You can also use SmartPSS to search and play back recordings from your camera this way.

Correct. The reason I'm wanting the old firmware is because the new firmware (v2.6 from last month) has a number of bugs in it. Another poster upgraded to that a few days ago and was having all sorts of problems. The one I posted from November of last year has been fairly stable for me, so I'm a bit scared to chance the newer one just yet.
Alright, I'll try to patch it today.

cor35vet

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I asked for it I guess. Thanks for the elaboration. Maybe your recommending the sounder NFS file system that I have heard about is because then I would most likely have switched over to Linux in which case support for the Dahua cameras would be less of a stretch for me. My first inclination was to respond with, file systems aren't my problem currently, wonky hacked cameras are. Point taken and interpreted correctly I hope. Currently only windows 10 Pro PC's without any file system issues, except for the Dahua camera file system that needs manipulating - and I gather that manipulation is easier to do from a Linux box and by a person who is familiar with Linux.
NFS is not a filesystem, it's a protocol for transmitting files, just like FTP - but way better.

So you want to downgrade from DH_SD-Eos_Eng_P_Stream3_V2.600.0000.3.R.20170630 to DH_SD-Eos_EngSpnFrn_N_Stream3_V2.420.0001.0.R.20161220, correct?
20170630 has signature verification.
20161220 DOES NOT.
This is why you can't downgrade the firmware. The old firmware lacks a signature and the new firmware requires it.
So you have to flash the firmware through the TFTP recovery method or using serial UART.
Do you have a serial UART converter? If not read on ...

I need some info to make the correct package for your camera.
So I need you to follow this tutorial: Dahua IPC unbricking / recovery over serial UART and TFTP
with this package: /home/david/DahuaRecovery/Dahua_TFTPBackup_printenv.zip
The window from Console.bat should hopefully print out a bunch of info which I need to make the proper package to flash the old firmware.

Do note however that this process is risky and could brick your camera and I really advise you to give NFS a try before, it might just make you happy.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but will try to tonight and let you know how it works....

I just looked through the files on your edited file and comparing with your earlier notes to (hopefully) get a better understanding of how you did it. I see in the romfs-x.squashfs.img /sbin directory, I see a new file "utelnetd".....and under the /etc/init.d/ directory, I see you've edited the file "rcS" by adding the line "/sbin/utelnetd -p 2300 -l /bin/login &"....

If I decide to go with the newer firmware in the future and want telnet access, would I just copy and paste that exact same "utelnetd" file and put it into the new firmware's romfs /sbin directory and add the same "/sbin/utelnetd -p 2300 -l /bin/login &" line to the /etc/init.d/rcS file? Or would a custom utelnetd file and/or script need to be made for the new firmware?

Also, since the newer firmware has some kind of "signature" thing that prevents downgrading, would it be possible to transfer signature files to the old firmware in order to make the old firmware become signed? or is that something that's not transferable?

Again, forgive my ignorance. I've never had any sort of Linux training, so I'm still trying to understand the basic concepts of what things mean.

cor35vet

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but will try to tonight and let you know how it works....

I just looked through the files on your edited file and comparing with your earlier notes to (hopefully) get a better understanding of how you did it. I see in the romfs-x.squashfs.img /sbin directory, I see a new file "utelnetd".....and under the /etc/init.d/ directory, I see you've edited the file "rcS" by adding the line "/sbin/utelnetd -p 2300 -l /bin/login &"....

If I decide to go with the newer firmware in the future and want telnet access, would I just copy and paste that exact same "utelnetd" file and put it into the new firmware's romfs /sbin directory and add the same "/sbin/utelnetd -p 2300 -l /bin/login &" line to the /etc/init.d/rcS file? Or would a custom utelnetd file and/or script need to be made for the new firmware?

Also, since the newer firmware has some kind of "signature" thing that prevents downgrading, would it be possible to transfer signature files to the old firmware in order to make the old firmware become signed? or is that something that's not transferable?

Again, forgive my ignorance. I've never had any sort of Linux training, so I'm still trying to understand the basic concepts of what things mean.
Some cameras use different libc or have different processors so the same compile of utelnetd will not work on all cameras.
For example eos uses uclibc while these ones use armhf gnu libc.
Also if you edit any file the signature changes and you have to flash through u-boot / recovery.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Some cameras use different libc or have different processors so the same compile of utelnetd will not work on all cameras.
For example eos uses uclibc while these ones use armhf gnu libc.
But as long as it's just a different firmware for the same exact camera, then the same utelnetd will work?

Also if you edit any file the signature changes and you have to flash through u-boot / recovery.
So if I patched the new firmware (that has signature) then I could not load this firmware through the web interface like normal?

My hesitation to try the new firmware is because another poster had problems with it. I would be willing to try it if I could easily downgrade back to the old firmware if I had the same problems...If I'm understanding correctly, there's no way (other than a serial cable connection) to downgrade the signed firmware to older non-signed? Not even a TFTP connection alone could downgrade it to an unsigned firmware?