Dahua & DDNS No-IP

Seb76

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all.

I was recently able to connect to my Dahua through a LAN cable with the help of this forum and I now stumbled upon DDNS...

I followed a very good step by step instruction found here
I have created an account, activated it, chose my domain name and user name and did the configurations in my Dahua camera (I do not have an NVR yet and am recording on the on-board SD card).

I have it set to update every 3 minutes (just like in the instructions) but when I access the domain name I get the login screen from my D-link router (DSL-2740B).

I'm quite a network noob but I somehow remember (from experimenting with Arduino) that I need to do a port forward or something? Is that correct?

I see my old Arduino is still left in the list. Should I use the same build-up?
Name: Dahua
Application name
External TCP: 80
Internal TCP: 80

IP address: 192.168.1.108 (dahua cam)
Computer name
External UDP
Internal UDP

Is it only the TCP section I need to fill in and leave the UDP section empty?
PortForwarding.png

EDIT 1:
I just gave that a try but it still gives me the router. I did reboot the router and checked if the settings were still there (they are) but I still get the router...
Also tried accessing using DOMAIN.ddns.net:8080
PortForwarding_02.png

EDIT 2:
The IT fairy came by.. Now it works. I guess there was some kind of delay somewhere. Glad it works. Sometimes I can even impress myself :-D

Last edited:

0blar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi

Please try to use a vpn to access your camera
Port forwarding is not secure

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What model dlink router do you have ?
Does the router support a OpenVPN ?
Do not use port forwarding. It is a major security problem.
What are you using the camera for ?
Are you planning on adding more cameras ?

Seb76

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you all for the feedback. I have a D-link DSL-2740B. I have only 1 camera to motion record the living room when on holiday. The data will be stored on the SD card. I have a simple home alarm system that sends me a text message when a PIR motion detector or magnet door sensor is triggered. I would then like to use an Android streaming app to see if something is going on so I would be able to call the police. When returning home I would disconnect the internet between the camera and use it stand alone.

So it is more of a temporary solution (3 months max)

Seb76

n3wb
Reaction score
Hm... I need to have a look at this then. I do have a paid subscription for NordVPN and did a quick google search and they do seem to offer VPN for D-link routers so I guess I will have to try to get it to work. Could a hacker get access to the sd card and be able to delete records from it remotely?

NordVPN

I will have to experiment

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's a different type of VPN than you need.
The danger is that your camera could become part of a botnet attacking other devices on the internet.

Seb76

n3wb
Reaction score
Hm... in that case, should I be unable to get the VPN working before I go on holiday I will just leave the camera disconnected from the internet.