Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

Stephan06

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The 5442 series camera is still the king of camera hill and provides great low light performance.
Would there be something close to this camera with 2-way audio. I want to replace my front yard hikvision 2332 , 2mp camera turret. The camera struggles with AI and miss allot of human detection on Blueiris running on a dedicated i5 hp desktop with 8gb RAm, POE. I looked at the new Eufy 3 with wireless cameras and solar charge. I know people will say it is consumer grade but if I add my hours and time up trying to het Blue iris to work it is tempting. I believe it is the old camera I have that is causing issues. Thanks.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Would there be something close to this camera with 2-way audio. I want to replace my front yard hikvision 2332 , 2mp camera turret. The camera struggles with AI and miss allot of human detection on Blueiris running on a dedicated i5 hp desktop with 8gb RAm, POE. I looked at the new Eufy 3 with wireless cameras and solar charge. I know people will say it is consumer grade but if I add my hours and time up trying to het Blue iris to work it is tempting. I believe it is the old camera I have that is causing issues. Thanks.
I have a camera
I have an old dahua bullet with alarm wires connected to a Bosch 850 pir sensor outdoor which ran rock solid for years.that combo setup only detected cars and people,it was an awesome setup.but then one day I stopped getting notifications.i don't know if it's the app,cam or Bosch unit at fault.i didn't bother investigating but I think it's the cam because it acts wonky and at times I can't login into it from some devices.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
IDK, sort of an OT necro, but I wanted to pop in to this thread and ask if nayr still lurks these parts? He and his original 2mp 1/2.8 starlight dahua reviews were the spur I needed to build out my pro-ish ipcamera setup on my home years ago. Those cameras are still doing great, even better these days with blueiris ai etc. Anyhow, just wanted to pay tribute to ya nayr!

Cheers,
Kev

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
He hasn't been seen for a couple of years now.
Always found it strange that he just went AWOL as he was such a big part of this forum and contributed greatly. @nayr if you are ever lurking and see any of these. Hope whatever happened in your life that stopped you contributing to this forum has sorted it self out and you and your family are self and well. Everyone has the reasons for whatever they do in life just hope your story ended in a positive way! Lots of respect for you man! you were a good one.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Always found it strange that he just went AWOL as he was such a big part of this forum and contributed greatly. @nayr if you are ever lurking and see any of these. Hope whatever happened in your life that stopped you contributing to this forum has sorted it self out and you and your family are self and well. Everyone has the reasons for whatever they do in life just hope your story ended in a positive way! Lots of respect for you man! you were a good one.
If I recall correctly, he had a new baby, and a new job happen all at roughly the same time frame.
Andy has mentioned he has heard from him once in a while when nayr makes a purchase.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe he just got emotionally burned out with IPCT. This happened to me a while back with an RV forum. I was pretty active, mostly with technical electrical things. Some users often posted misinformation out of bad assumptions or stupidity. At first I enthusiastically rebutted and explained things. One wave would die away, only to be replaced by a new wave of bad info from other people to repeat the cycle. One day I had enough and just wasn't interested in the forum any more. Not a calculated decision, but an emotional reaction. I peek at it once every few months and have the same reaction all over again. Similar to the "My brain is full" Far Side, in a sense.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe he just got emotionally burned out with IPCT.
Maybe, but a better guess is life got a lot more busy for him, and life priority changes came along:

If I recall correctly, he had a new baby, and a new job happen all at roughly the same time frame.
20years ago I was in the middle of a major car restoration project when my wife got pregnant with our first child. My wife and I had a lot of momentum going on the project, and put a ton of work in on it at the time. When I brought the engine in for a rebuild to my friend/mechanic, I told him the good news about her pregnancy. He is older, and at the time much wiser (I was in my 20's). He got a coy grin on his face and said, "No worries if this project falls to the wayside. That usually is what happens once kids come along. You can keep the motor in my shop for free as long as you need." I thanked him, then laughed and told him how I was going to stick to my goal of having it done that year; he responded with, "Well, we will see". Guess what... it's been 20years, and that car is still without it's engine and little to no work since oh... IIRC it was right around when we attended lamaze classes, lol.

So I totally understand if that is why he hasn't been around. Hopefully some day when life settles back down for him and there is an abundance of free time, he'll find his way back and enjoy partaking in this community again. At least it seems he is still doing ipcams... protecting my kids is the main reason I got into this myself.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am not sure if I bring this thread back on topic, but my concern is about Dahua, 2MP and starlight vision.

I have just bought one of their 4MP cams on a 1/1.8" sensor, the results seem quite OK. I am going to get a few more cameras, but I am not really convinced that I do need 4 MP for all of them. I was wondering if I would get similar night results when using Dahuas with 2MP and a 1/2.8" sensor. I would get half the pixels for half the price, which would be OK for me.

I was looking specifically at models of the IPC-HDW2230 and IPC-HDW2231 series. (Can anyone tell me what difference there is beween the 0 and the 1 series). I realize that both series do not offer people or vehicle classification. I would want to record who steps in front of my back doors and hope that tripwire or intrusion will suffice if anything shows up in front of that door. I might get a 3.6mm model instead of 2.8mm.
I also think about the DH-SD22204UE-GN, which is 2MP on a 1/2.8" Starvis sensor.

But ultimately, I am asking about their night vision ability. They have the right resolution to sensor relationship for good night vision, but I would like to get some feedback on it before I order one.

If you have any other feedback for these models, please tell me too.

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
My own unscientific side-by-side testing says the 4MP 1/1.8 cameras are clearly better in low-light conditions than the 2MP 1/2.8 cameras. There are a bunch of side-by-side pictures in this post: Detecting wildlife with Dahua cameras

A couple of other pictures are in post #20 of the same thread. A couple of years ago I ran a new at that time 5442 side-by-side with a 5231, with the same result of the 5442 giving a clearly better image in the dark with IR lighting.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am not sure if I bring this thread back on topic, but my concern is about Dahua, 2MP and starlight vision.

I have just bought one of their 4MP cams on a 1/1.8" sensor, the results seem quite OK. I am going to get a few more cameras, but I am not really convinced that I do need 4 MP for all of them. I was wondering if I would get similar night results when using Dahuas with 2MP and a 1/2.8" sensor. I would get half the pixels for half the price, which would be OK for me.

I was looking specifically at models of the IPC-HDW2230 and IPC-HDW2231 series. (Can anyone tell me what difference there is beween the 0 and the 1 series). I realize that both series do not offer people or vehicle classification. I would want to record who steps in front of my back doors and hope that tripwire or intrusion will suffice if anything shows up in front of that door. I might get a 3.6mm model instead of 2.8mm.
I also think about the DH-SD22204UE-GN, which is 2MP on a 1/2.8" Starvis sensor.

But ultimately, I am asking about their night vision ability. They have the right resolution to sensor relationship for good night vision, but I would like to get some feedback on it before I order one.

If you have any other feedback for these models, please tell me too.
The camera models you are asking about are inferior to the 5231 series.
If you want 2mp, then these are the cams to consider.
Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal | IP Cam Talk
Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS Ver 2, 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera | IP Cam Talk

But the 5442 series of cams are still the current champ after dark. You must remember any camera for it to perform it's best must be properly tuned for it's FOV.
Leaving it on Auto/Default settings will not achieve it's best performance.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is my 3241 in color at night ( only because we have an LED street light nearby at the corner. also another shot with one garage light on ( 9w 5000k LED )
Also I have another 3241 ZAS in the back yard. with 2 images. I have 2 IR sources in back as there is still 1 old analog cam running. So it's not apples to apples on a stand alone 3241.
1680203087940.png
1680203149104.png
1680203223088.png
1680203344111.png

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You go me confused now: I was listing the 2231 series. I would just prefer to pick up fixed lenses for certain points. I had a look at your review, seemed quite OK at night. Hard to say without you actually running through the picture. ;)
I would be going for one 3.6mm 2231 to check it out.

I know I edited it in a bit later, but do you guys have an oppinion on this gadget: DAHUA SD22204UE-GN 2 MP. I have a few spots where I could actually make use of it.

Thanks a lot for all the pictures but I learned from these pages as well as my own nightly camera outdoor testing activities that if you don't move fast, you won't know how good it works. (You still have snow? It was getting warm here for a change. Atlantic storm inbound)

Last edited:

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Short update. I just learned that DAHUA SD22204UE-GN 2MP has been replaced by a successor, the Dahua SD22204DB-GNY, which is now part of the WizSense series and has more processing features. It is also offered by EmpireTech Andy as a Loryta SD22204DB-GN. Didn't fing a review here. It has a Starvis sensor.

Reaction score
Short update. I just learned that DAHUA SD22204UE-GN 2MP has been replaced by a successor, the Dahua SD22204DB-GNY, which is now part of the WizSense series and has more processing features. It is also offered by EmpireTech Andy as a Loryta SD22204DB-GN. Didn't fing a review here. It has a Starvis sensor.
Unless you have a lot of white light in the area you want to use the DAHUA SD22204UE-GN, these are not suitable for night use like the 3241/5442 cameras are. The SD22204E-GN does not have built in IR and no cut filter to utilize IR at night. For daytime, they work very well. I have all three models, and run the SD22204E-GN in color at night because of LED street lights in the area they are looking at. The SD22204B-GNY does have a little larger (1/2.5) STARVIS sensor, but still no IR for night use so it too will still need a good amount of white light for night use. An alternative to the SD22204 cameras with IR and still being 3x/4x PTZ, would be SD1A203T-GN or the SD1A404XB-GNR both of which Andy sells, and even has 1 of each on his refurbished list (usually new cameras) at really good prices.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Unless you have a lot of white light in the area you want to use the DAHUA SD22204UE-GN, these are not suitable for night use like the 3241/5442 cameras are. The SD22204E-GN does not have built in IR and no cut filter to utilize IR at night. For daytime, they work very well. I have all three models, and run the SD22204E-GN in color at night because of LED street lights in the area they are looking at. The SD22204B-GNY does have a little larger (1/2.5) STARVIS sensor, but still no IR for night use so it too will still need a good amount of white light for night use. An alternative to the SD22204 cameras with IR and still being 3x/4x PTZ, would be SD1A203T-GN or the SD1A404XB-GNR both of which Andy sells, and even has 1 of each on his refurbished list (usually new cameras) at really good prices.
Thank you for replying. I realized that the cam does not have an IR-illuminator. (From the spec sheet, it says Auto(icr), which I googled to mean automatic IR-cut filter removal). I would set up the cam at a spot where there is quite some regular illumination going on if their PIR is triggered. There are also sodium street lights. So this might work OK? How do your cams deal with motion at night?
The SD1A203T-GN looks interesting. But unless I order it from china, I might as well grab a 5442 varifocal and have the same cost yet a better picture. The other is 4MP on 1/2.8 sensor, so I'll pass that.
It took me a while to find his refurbished list. :p Unfortunately, he won't ship those to Europe. On the other hand, if I were to live in the US, I would be buying too many cams now...

Reaction score
Thank you for replying. I realized that the cam does not have an IR-illuminator. (From the spec sheet, it says Auto(icr), which I googled to mean automatic IR-cut filter removal). I would set up the cam at a spot where there is quite some regular illumination going on if their PIR is triggered. There are also sodium street lights. So this might work OK? How do your cams deal with motion at night?
The SD1A203T-GN looks interesting. But unless I order it from china, I might as well grab a 5442 varifocal and have the same cost yet a better picture. The other is 4MP on 1/2.8 sensor, so I'll pass that.
It took me a while to find his refurbished list. :p Unfortunately, he won't ship those to Europe. On the other hand, if I were to live in the US, I would be buying too many cams now...
The SD22204UE-GN will run fine with light from Sodium street lights, as I had those before the city went to LED lights. I am able to run this cam in color at night with the light I have. Not sure what you mean by PIR trigger, as you would use normally, IVS tripwire or intrusion zones with this camera for motion detection. You can use SMD as well, but you will get many more false alerts with this. Sorry about the refurbished comment, I didn't notice you are in Europe. Note that Andy does ship all his gear to Europe as well as the US.

Last edited:

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score