Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Argh, too many models --- lol

pretty much the same as the Z (4x)

The 8231 is an UltraWDR, not an UltraStarlight.. it does have starlight capabilities, but not Ultra Starlight capabilities that your paying for.. that money gives you no better low light capabilities, just a stronger DSP that can handle 140dB WDR and SSA.. it runs same IMX291 found in the Eco Savvy starlights.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The 8231 series are no slouch in the Starlight department however. Sure the 8232 is better, but at a lux rating of .005 vs .002 they're still pretty damn good at night.

Here's a clip of the 8231 we use for Overview at our cul-de-sac at 11pm. The streetlights help a ton, but there is no where NEAR as much light present as the camera (WDR on) makes it appear.

The center of the circle is about 60 feet from the camera. Lens is just zoomed to maybe 4mm o so.

*Make sure and choose 1080p

Here's another..Tow truck trolling for a repo I suspect..

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
While I'm at it, here's a comparison with our entrance overview cam which is an older (2015) HFW52A1EN-Z(I) rated at just .01 Lux

I'm really stretching the limitations of this cam forcing color mode at night. The area is actually better lit than the cul-de-sac, so you can see how far the Starlight technology has come in just a couple of years.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
The 8231 series are no slouch in the Starlight department however. Sure the 8232 is better, but at a lux rating of .005 vs .002 they're still pretty damn good at night.

Here's a clip of the 8231 we use for Overview at our cul-de-sac at 11pm. The streetlights help a ton, but there is no where NEAR as much light present as the camera (WDR on) makes it appear.

The center of the circle is about 60 feet from the camera. Lens is just zoomed to maybe 4mm o so.

*Make sure and choose 1080p

Here's another..Tow truck trolling for a repo I suspect..
Perfect LPR spot.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah it's marginal without a lit tag. The good news is that's one of 3 tag cameras on the street so we have a pretty good capture rate regardless...

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Can we edit the original post and include the prices? I'm trying to narrow down camera choices by set budget (a couple of premium and eco-savvy models). As many are on a budget, it would make sense to include the prices (est.) to make swift and reasonable choices. Thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can we edit the original post and include the prices? I'm trying to narrow down camera choices by set budget (a couple of premium and eco-savvy models). As many are on a budget, it would make sense to include the prices (est.) to make swift and reasonable choices. Thanks
Simply do a search on Aliexpress with the model #'s of interest.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah it's marginal without a lit tag. The good news is that's one of 3 tag cameras on the street so we have a pretty good capture rate regardless...
"We"?
So is this setup like a HOA owned/managed/paid for camera system for the neihborhood or just a few neihbors working together?

After a few minor incidents I have been trying to get my subdivision board interested in paying for an overview cam and LPR cam at the entrance gates so we can ID who has driven through if ever necessary but so far they are not biting after a couple of small thefts and an arwon incident.
Gates are not entry proof, ( push hard enough and a pi shears off and you are in)...they keep the casual thiefs out...if your board decides to ever close them.
It is march and ours are still "open for the winter'.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
"We"?
So is this setup like a HOA owned/managed/paid for camera system for the neihborhood or just a few neihbors working together?

After a few minor incidents I have been trying to get my subdivision board interested in paying for an overview cam and LPR cam at the entrance gates so we can ID who has driven through if ever necessary but so far they are not biting after a couple of small thefts and an arwon incident.
Gates are not entry proof, ( push hard enough and a pi shears off and you are in)...they keep the casual thiefs out...if your board decides to ever close them.
Haha, that false sense of security from being in a gated community lol there are scum everywhere and the biggest ones wear suits, but I digress, sounds like the HOA doesn't care until it's their house so I'd just worry about me and locking my stuff down and let them fend for themselves.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Couple years back there was this big extravagant 5 figure xmas light decoration on a house not far away that made national news and stuff, decided to load the kid up over the holiday to go check it out; found the address and drove over.. only to find he lived in a gated community and nobody could actually see it, hah.. what a dumbass.

When I was a kid it was tradition to go out on a cruise and look at lights in the posh neighborhoods and the'd be lit up every one; but here none will let you in.. so I gave up on the idea, too big city to drive around aimlessly looking for random displays.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
"We"?

This is an HOA owned/managed setup, just small single cul-de-sac street (41 homes), not gated and definitely not fancy ;)

I happen to live dead center of the street so my two street facing cams supplement the 5 HOA cams and we have pretty good coverage. We use a cloud based service to store the video and access it.
here's our layout via a neighborhood "camera tour"

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
This is an HOA owned/managed setup, just small single cul-de-sac street (41 homes), not gated and definitely not fancy ;)

I happen to live dead center of the street so my two street facing cams supplement the 5 HOA cams and we have pretty good coverage. We use a cloud based service to store the video and access it.
here's our layout via a neighborhood "camera tour"
so how does that work, a few people volunteer to mount cameras on their house for the HOA, and run the video through their home internet? Does the HOA give them some money to cover electricity and bandwidth usage?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
so how does that work, a few people volunteer to mount cameras on their house for the HOA, and run the video through their home internet? Does the HOA give them some money to cover electricity and bandwidth usage?
srsly? electricity would be around $1-2/year.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You do any LPR tracking or just record the video for later review if ever needed?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
No, the HOA ( I happen to be the current President) bought the 5 cameras and had them installed at the entrance and cul-de-sac. The HOA owns that equipment. We use EagleEye as a cloud vendor to store and access the recorded video, and the HOA pays for the bandwidth and dedicated IP's.

Simply because I happen to be camera geek like many of you, I installed my own system at home and happen to be in a good spot in the middle of the street. My cameras simply compliment those owned by the HOA. The HOA doesnt pay me or anyone else, and my cameras only benefit the HOA by happenstance as my two overview/driveway Starlights happen to cover the middle of the street pretty well. There is no direct connection, networking, or commitment between my cameras and those of the HOA. if I were to move, they would lose that added "bonus" coverage.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You do any LPR tracking or just record the video for later review if ever needed?
For now we just store everything for use - 30 days. I also installed SD cards into all of the cameras for backup and am getting 2.5 days or so on the 2MP overview cams and about 4+ days on the 1MP tag cams.

Would love to work with OpenALPR? just haven't had the time to get into it yet and no where near as smart as many of you so it will take me some time to spin it up. I think it would ulitmately be cool to have the DB of tags and be alerted on certain criteria of "unknown" tags... someday maybe..