Critique my night shots

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
And another - with 8MP and 3MP low-light comparison stills :

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Such informative posts!

I am now contemplating the following:

1. Switch out my front door DS-2CD2385G1-I camera for something lower mounting (possibly just above eye level) such as Dahua hdbw4231f -- this will also give me far superior night vision than i am getting right now - see pics below.

2. I am tossing up if I should change my front driveway camera out for a PTZ starlight camera with tracking (as i've got a wide frontage) and set back quite a distance from the road, or go with something like a Dahua T5442TM-AS-LED??

Here is a daytime picture of a recent doorknocker at the front of my house
1576429042611.png
1576429220739.png

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have the same 8MP Hik (six of them now) and posted some notes here with settings I've been using:

In your initial colour photos I think WDR is eating a bunch of your potential detail, as shown by the indistinct facial features, the nearly-invisible ribs on the hood/bonnet of your car, and the indistinct details on the caravan's ribbed siding. Assuming the security light can be relied upon to light up when needed, I would give the 8MP cam some tuning before you give up on it. You can also try adjusting the camera's Auto-Switch to flip to color mode when the security light is on, and infrared when it's not.

The contours on your car hood would make a good starting indicator. Here is a Honda that sits near one of my cameras, and if I cannot discern the dents and contours in the hood and quarter panel, I know I'm losing detail in general. As you can see, the scene does not look gloriously bright with the settings I picked (this was the Dahua 5442) but it can pick out facial detail, which is my priority.

This is not to discourage buying a 5442 of course :) You could keep the 8MP for daytime ID and add a 5442 for night duty, for the reasons mentioned (bigger sensor and larger pixels on the sensor).

Attachments

Last edited: