CPU setup for getting started with BI ?

Leroy60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm a recently joined member who's spent lots of time reading threads about cameras, nvr software and network considerations. As I am putting together my initial foray into this endeavor I'd like to run my current plan by others. I'm starting out with 5 dahua cameras from Empiretech - all 4 Megapixel. I have a 8 port PoE switch that should work well. The idea is to repurpose a "spare" desktop with these features:

-Intel i5-7600 cpu
  • 8 GB RAM
  • Win 10 Pro on SSD
  • 2nd NIC to segregate the cameras from the internet.
  • Blue Iris software
  • Home network is opnsense router connected to att fiber.

Beyond replacing the cpu/system how should this fare? Enough processing power? Adequate memory? OK sticking with the onboard Intel 630 graphics, or retain an NVidia 750Ti gpu that exists in the system currently?

I plan on adding a Western Digital (purple) HDD, either 4 or 6 TB.

Any and all input will be welcomed! Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That CPU is more than adequate. I would only consider adding 8GB more RAM to get to 16GB.

People run way more cameras on a much lessor processor.

Make sure you do the optimizations in the wiki

A GPU is not needed unless you plan to run CodeProject for AI, but if you are getting the 5442 series cameras from Andy, they have built in AI and you might get by with it.

Do not use your GPU for hardware acceleration in BI - only use it to offload CodeProject to if you decide to go that route.

Leroy60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That CPU is more than adequate. I would only consider adding 8GB more RAM to get to 16GB.

People run way more cameras on a much lessor processor.

Make sure you do the optimizations in the wiki

A GPU is not needed unless you plan to run CodeProject for AI, but if you are getting the 5442 series cameras from Andy, they have built in AI and you might get by with it.

Do not use your GPU for hardware acceleration in BI - only use it to offload CodeProject to if you decide to go that route.
Thank you. I will grab new RAM (it's a MSI "budget gaming" mobo with only two slots, both populated with 4 GB modules).

BTW, yes (4) 5442 cams and 1 mini PTZ for watching the dog, lol).