cpu going up by about 20% on new ui3 connection?

MikeT

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have v5 running with 6 cams.
I was wondering if its normal or the cpu to go up by about 20% on each new ui3 browser connection?
so for example when idle (no one viewing remotely) cpu is about 20%
then on 1st connection it goes up to about 38% and on next connection it goes up to 58 or so percent.
is this normal ?
is there no way to view it from multiple remote locations without having it take a hit on the cpu?
im asking because i view my cams from a local pc and my partner views it from a remote pc and we have 1 or 2 more people that we want to be able to keep the cams open on ui3 and view it incase something happens. thats a total of about 4 to 6 different places we want to view from and that pretty much puts the cpu at 100%.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yup. Every stream eats CPU. I’m guessing it transcodes every stream no matter if all the viewers are watching the same camera.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have v5 running with 6 cams.
I was wondering if its normal or the cpu to go up by about 20% on each new ui3 browser connection?
so for example when idle (no one viewing remotely) cpu is about 20%
then on 1st connection it goes up to about 38% and on next connection it goes up to 58 or so percent.
is this normal ?
is there no way to view it from multiple remote locations without having it take a hit on the cpu?
im asking because i view my cams from a local pc and my partner views it from a remote pc and we have 1 or 2 more people that we want to be able to keep the cams open on ui3 and view it incase something happens. thats a total of about 4 to 6 different places we want to view from and that pretty much puts the cpu at 100%.
What CPU are you using?
What bitrates are you running from the cameras.
Which streaming qualities are you choosing in UI3?
You can adjust the bitrates that the server provides to UI3 in BI.
My setup, my wife and I can both view with UI3 and it raise's Cpu from 5% to 8-9% for both of us.

Be sure you have performed each step in this: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk
Especially be sure you have excluded all BI folders from Windows Defender scans.

MikeT

n3wb
Reaction score
i guess what i wanted to know if the cpu going up on each connection was normal.
but what im reading from you guys is that it should not be going up that much?
or is it maybe due to me streaming to each pc in higher def then i should?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I think it depends upon the CPU and transcoding level as far as how much rise you get for every live stream. I get about a 10% bump for every user stream.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i guess what i wanted to know if the cpu going up on each connection was normal.
but what im reading from you guys is that it should not be going up that much?
or is it maybe due to me streaming to each pc in higher def then i should?
You haven't provided enough info for us to guess. Answering my questions would be a helpful start.