CPU going to 100% overnight

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks southern Yankee,
I can do that or just keep the faster Nvidia board in since I think it may be doing a better job of offloading from the CPU..(I know how to set for Max power and never sleep)
you mentioned above that these cameras may be phoning home, you mean like back to HIKvision? (I wouldn't doubt it for one second)
I'm interested in your thoughts as to the best way to isolate them.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use the nivida for your display , use the intel quicksync for BI video decoding and processing. Use both of them. Look at my screen shots I have two gpu , the system is using both.

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
got it, just ordered the dummy
Now onto best practices networking design..

Reaction score
you mentioned above that these cameras may be phoning home, you mean like back to HIKvision?
Yes, exactly.

I looked at your network diagram. Why do you have two BI computers?

You really do not need all those routers. That can really slow things down. Does your switch that connects to the router have the ability to set up VLANS? You need to isolate the cameras from the internet, but not the BI servers. There are a few ways to do that. Some folks like using VLANs, where as myself, I find it simpler to just use a second NIC in my computer. Some motherboards have two Network Interfaces. If not, a PCI NIC is simple to install and configure in WIN10.

1586237798168.png

So each BI box has two network connections. One goes to the router and is the same subnet as all of your other LAN devices. (Say 192.168.1.xxx). The second network connection in each BI PC and all of the cameras are on a SEPARATE subnet (say 192.168.2.xxx). The switches that the cameras are connected to have no physical connection to the internet, but your BI boxes do. If you need more ports for your other LAN devices to connect to, then replace the router on the right with a switch.

That is how I have mine set up and I can use UI3 on any PC on my LAN to view BI. For remote viewing (outside of your LAN) make sure you set up something like a VPN (See cliff notes and thread don't get hacked).

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so what data do you suppose HIK vision would be getting from those millions of cameras?

I have 2 BI machines because they are in different locations with drastically different monitor configurations, and one is set to record continuously and one is upon motion.
believe it or not the additional routers only slow things down imperceptibly, still getting hundred megabit per second download everywhere.
Also I don't want the other computers on the same network as the BI boxes are on.

thanks so much and by the way the BI Box having the original CPU problem is running smoothly this morning and I think we have that problem whipped.

are there any recommendations you know of for Intel graphics drivers that are known to work well with BI?
I seem to remember a while back that some of them had memory leaks and other problems…

Reaction score

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What hack cameras provide , a sniffer on your network collecting any data on the network, your bank account, credit card info.... They can be used of additional processing of bitcoin... They can be used of denial of service attacks on other companies or organization.

For security, cameras must be physically separated for the internet.

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Southern Yankee,
In your view is using dual NIC's in the BI machines sufficent isolation for the cams?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use the dual NIC approach on my BI system. It is easy to understand and easy to set up. With two BI machines sharing the same cameras I would need to think about that for a while.

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am happy to report this system is running nicely and quite stable utilizing quick sync hardware decoding and my cameras are isolated from the Internet, thanks to all your help.

I have a question, since my cameras can no longer directly link to a time server, why can they not just get their time from the PC clock that is running BI? (and the PCs clock gets synced to a server) and
or do I need to get some software utility to run on the PC that the cameras can look to?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am happy to report this system is running nicely and quite stable utilizing quick sync hardware decoding and my cameras are isolated from the Internet, thanks to all your help.

I have a question, since my cameras can no longer directly link to a time server, why can they not just get their time from the PC clock that is running BI? (and the PCs clock gets synced to a server) and
or do I need to get some software utility to run on the PC that the cameras can look to?
search forum for timesynctool

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks Federman,
but curious why standard Windows PC clock that is tied to a time server is not adequate?

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
okay thanks, that answers the question.
Now on to post the problems with my second BI system..

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks southern Yankee,
I can do that or just keep the faster Nvidia board in since I think it may be doing a better job of offloading from the CPU..(I know how to set for Max power and never sleep)
you mentioned above that these cameras may be phoning home, you mean like back to HIKvision? (I wouldn't doubt it for one second)
I'm interested in your thoughts as to the best way to isolate them.
IS there an issue with the Hikvision cameras? I've been running thirteen of them for years now. And so far I haven't noticed any problems.

Instead of using a VLAN I have my cameras and BI machines physically separated on my network. So the only time it should go outside that section is to access the internet or to send video to a PC or tablet that is on another physical section of my network. I did this because I have over 120 devices on my home network. And I had no desire to spend the money to replace my fifteen or so unmanaged switches and five Access Points with more expensive managed equipment, capable of VLANs.

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no problem with the cameras, it was just a network topology question that got answered by having 2 NIC cards in the BI PC, one for the cameras and one for Internet connectivity.

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so got the time sync app installed and it seems to be happy and updating itself.
but cameras don't seem to be able to reach it?
Not quite sure if this is right but in the camera NTP setting I put 0.nettime.pool.ntp.org port 123.(is this correct?)
Turned off Windows time service and all Windows firewalls (no other firewalls installed)