Coyote Up to no Good

DezertManiac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Site has been pretty quiet lately. Here is an interesting video from last year (first time sharing here). PTZ camera (Amcrest) manual tracking and auto settings (thus all the blur).
Coyote notices underground motion (about 30ft away) proceeds to investigate, pin points location, digs out rodent, kills it, abandons it, coyote goes on with his life as normal.

View attachment Video Sep 16, 2 18 02 PM.mp4

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 'yote may not be hungry but enjoys the hunt. One of our rescues, a 10 year old (we think, we've had her 6) Chihuahua-Corgi mix, loves to catch any of the 3 types of lizards we have here in the summer, plays with them, they get hurt in the process and when they stop moving or quit trying to get away, she's done.....no more fun. :(

Same way with grasshoppers, crickets and katydids.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, we've got them here too. The occasional snake has fun with them. Keep in mind that what you see on the ground, the hump style tunnels, are the moles feeding, looking for grubs for example. They also tunnel far deeper, like a foot to 18 inches for their "commuting" tunnels. I found one in our back yard, near the stockade fence, that was over a foot down. I'd love to find a cheap, reliable, way to get rid of the little $(*&%^^s.

DezertManiac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, we've got them here too. The occasional snake has fun with them. Keep in mind that what you see on the ground, the hump style tunnels, are the moles feeding, looking for grubs for example. They also tunnel far deeper, like a foot to 18 inches for their "commuting" tunnels. I found one in our back yard, near the stockade fence, that was over a foot down. I'd love to find a cheap, reliable, way to get rid of the little $(*&%^^s.
Yeah we got them too, last summer I tried to extinguish them, to no avail. I'm pretty sure that's what it was, next day I attempted to look for it, but it was nowhere to be found.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah we got them too, last summer I tried to extinguish them, to no avail. I'm pretty sure that's what it was, next day I attempted to look for it, but it was nowhere to be found.
Yeah, I just hope I can keep Sophie, the 10 yr. old Chi-Corgi mix and my stepson's dog, a 7 yr. old Yorkie (bred to get rodents) from getting any ideas...between the 2 of them digging after moles, it would look like it had been carpet-bombed.

Never thought I'd say this but I think I'd rather have the @#$% armadillos....at least I have a method of exterminating them that works pretty good with a little effort....and I can see the little bastids. :wtf:

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a friend in Cali that was a welder. We had a big garden that I participated with him. Veggies and "other things" (it was California after all)
were grown there. One problem was some pesky gophers. He said he had a plan and would give me a ring to come over when ready.

He called and over I went. Fortunately I arrived to to see the whole of the garden smoking with trenches all through the garden!
Phil (we called him Crazy Phil) looked dazed with singed eye brows and hair with no more hair on his arms. He still had a death grip
on his glass of iced tea.

He had hooked his commercial welding rig up, turned it on full blast into the gopher hole, went in made a glass of tea, gassed
some with me and well kind of over did it. BOOM would have been an understatement! More like WW1 trench warfare. He remembered
lighting the cigar lighter and starting to bend down wooosh!

As we were tidying up, I called his attention to some water leaking down one of the new excavated trenches leading to a wall separating
the properties. What might be on the other side one might ask. Ah the neighbor's swimming pool that for some explainable
reason was dropping it's level fast.

"Hey Phil, I think my dead mother is calling me and I need to hit the bricks" I said. Let me know what happens dude.
The neighbor came over and asked if Phil knew about how a hole could have gotten in the side of his pool. Phil
told him it had to be gophers as they had tore the sh_t out of his garden and even trenched it!