Country house in Italy

mcfly76

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm an happy Blueiris + Deepstack user. My system is composed by a few Mobotix outdoor cameras and a QNAP NAS as NVR. Unfortunately my house got hit by a lightning, and some of my Mobotix cameras got toasted, despite the surge protections.
I'm planning to extend/replace my current system. I already ordered a couple of cams from @EMPIRETECANDY.

Here to learn and help wherever I can.

Cheers,
Fabio

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Welcome. Sounds like you run a lot of cameras if you have to run both Blue Iris and a separate NVR.
I run 16 cameras on my Blue Iris install.

mcfly76

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome. Sounds like you run a lot of cameras if you have to run both Blue Iris and a separate NVR.
I run 16 cameras on my Blue Iris install.
In the process to fully transition to BI. The NAS was already there, for now it's recording continuously. BI for now is only used to trigger some automations via MQTT, thanks to DeepStack person recognition.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I run HomeSeer which is tightly integrated with BlueIris. Below are some examples of HS working closely with BI.

I don’t use a queue of any sort, it is a home not a business and both systems are on the same subnet.
I find queues just another layer to implement, debug and maintain. In 2 years I have yet to have a single HTTP call from either system to the other fail for any reason

Here are some examples of the 2 systems working together:
When I exit my car in the garage and stare at the garage cam I get a greeting with my name through the Sonos system (AI facial recognition)
When the back gate z-wave sensor triggers it signals the PTZ to zoom in on the gate area only and record, then pan back out and continue recording
When any of my back doors break contact (z-wave) the back yard cameras all stop sending me alerts (so I can walk around without dozens of alerts triggered by me)
When it is between 10pm and 7am if someone steps onto my front porch, the dining room light comes on 4 seconds later
I use a z-wave LuxMeter to auto switch camera profiles from day to dusk to night
When my front door is opened (smart lock) 4 different cameras start recording so I see all activities from many angles
I generally know when someone is on the front porch about 2-3 seconds before the doorbell can be rung (unless they are moving exceptionally fast, which happens)
When my garage door is opened beyond 10 inches I can enter/exit the garage without getting alerts. I chose 10 inches so that I can open the garage door ‘just a little’ to get fresh air and still get alerts if someone steps onto my driveway or front yard.

mcfly76

n3wb
Reaction score
I run HomeSeer which is tightly integrated with BlueIris. Below are some examples of HS working closely with BI.

I don’t use a queue of any sort, it is a home not a business and both systems are on the same subnet.
I find queues just another layer to implement, debug and maintain. In 2 years I have yet to have a single HTTP call from either system to the other fail for any reason

Here are some examples of the 2 systems working together:
When I exit my car in the garage and stare at the garage cam I get a greeting with my name through the Sonos system (AI facial recognition)
When the back gate z-wave sensor triggers it signals the PTZ to zoom in on the gate area only and record, then pan back out and continue recording
When any of my back doors break contact (z-wave) the back yard cameras all stop sending me alerts (so I can walk around without dozens of alerts triggered by me)
When it is between 10pm and 7am if someone steps onto my front porch, the dining room light comes on 4 seconds later
I use a z-wave LuxMeter to auto switch camera profiles from day to dusk to night
When my front door is opened (smart lock) 4 different cameras start recording so I see all activities from many angles
I generally know when someone is on the front porch about 2-3 seconds before the doorbell can be rung (unless they are moving exceptionally fast, which happens)
When my garage door is opened beyond 10 inches I can enter/exit the garage without getting alerts. I chose 10 inches so that I can open the garage door ‘just a little’ to get fresh air and still get alerts if someone steps onto my driveway or front yard.
Very interesting use cases!
At the minute my main goal is to trigger back BI to activate AI person recognition only when certain conditions are met (eg. when specific sectors of my alarm system are armed), so that I can use BI person alerts to trigger the alarm and make it sound, but only when these conditions are met. Unfortunately it's not a smart alarm, so I plan to use ESPhome and connect some relays to the alarm system inputs.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Facial recognition ain't Hollywood level at all.

You may want to consider not using facial recognition for mission critical security use cases.

But if you do, please report back as I would be interested in how well it works for you.

mcfly76

n3wb
Reaction score
Facial recognition ain't Hollywood level at all.

You may want to consider not using facial recognition for mission critical security use cases.

But if you do, please report back as I would be interested in how well it works for you.
My target is to aim at person recognition (not facial) to trigger the alarm system. I aim at reducing false positives in order to avoid unnecessary alarm triggering, but a thief is a thief, no matter which specific person he/she is :)