Continous local recording with Dahua Cam - HFW1435S-W

Giovyx

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I've some question about some Dahua cameras.

What I would like to have is a 24/7 continous recording on the SD Card that could be accessible by connecting remotely to the camera, plus the phone notifications for the motion captures (especially the human detection event captures).
The camera will be mounted on a high pole aimed towards the whole house at about 20-25m distance, therefore I needed a good IR and possibly a good motion detection for this distance.
EDIT: I will need to use WiFi connection

So far, I've found this model that could meet the requirements (i'm open to alternatives!), but I'm not really sure if it does record the whole time on the SD Card or just the detection events (aka short videos):

- Model: HFW1435S-W
- Specs: http://www.dahuaconsumer.com/upload/2018/10/10/153913397821633v77v.pdf

I know that there is a Cloud service that does it, but I would like to avoid paying for such thing, if it could be done locally already.

Anyone can confirm how the recording works for this kind of camera?

Thank you

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Terrible choice. Start reading the cliff notes. You can record continuously to sd until the card dies.

Giovyx

n3wb
Reaction score
Terrible choice. Start reading the cliff notes.
Oh, there is a ton of professional stuff in there, thanks i'll have a look!
Even tho i'm not really building up such a big/pro survelliance system, but just a couple cameras (external front view + car parking lot) :)
You can record continuously to sd until the card dies.
Make sense, my concern came out because of some reviews i found on amazon said that this camera would record on SD only upon montion/human detection, and not continously.. since I would like to review to whole day even if there haven't been events (or most likely when I would turn off the motion detection during the day).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, there is a ton of professional stuff in there, thanks i'll have a look!
Even tho i'm not really building up such a big/pro survelliance system, but just a couple cameras (external front view + car parking lot) :)

Make sense, my concern came out because of some reviews i found on amazon said that this camera would record on SD only upon montion/human detection, and not continously.. since I would like to review to whole day even if there haven't been events (or most likely when I would turn off the motion detection during the day).
aside from the camera being crap, you will learn really fast that reviewing video from an sd card is slow and tedious. Then there is the size limit of cards. You need to setup a proper recording device.

Giovyx

n3wb
Reaction score
aside from the camera being crap, you will learn really fast that reviewing video from an sd card is slow and tedious. Then there is the size limit of cards. You need to setup a proper recording device.
I might set up a proper recording device in the future, but since I'm not sure if I'll move out.. I'm looking for a simpler (even if tedious eheh..) solution..

Would you know/recommend already a better camera than the one i linked above for the following requirements:
- 20-25m motion detection / IR range
- WiFi support
- No NVR/Cloud necessary to playback (SDCard history recording)

Thank you again

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I might set up a proper recording device in the future, but since I'm not sure if I'll move out.. I'm looking for a simpler (even if tedious eheh..) solution..

Would you know/recommend already a better camera than the one i linked above for the following requirements:
- WiFi support

Thank you again
Read The Cliff notes....
You can move the recording device they are not crazy glued to the house.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
---------------------------------------------------
Use a quality camera and a quality recording system. Junk will fail when you need it the most. Do you need night recording, if so see #1 below. Most all wifi cameras are junk. You can add an access point to any camera or use a powerline adapter.
---------------------------------------------------

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
12) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS
IPC-HDW5231-ZE
IPC-T5442TM-AS
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I
DS-2CD2325FWD-I

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
The camera will be mounted on a high pole aimed towards the whole house at about 20-25m distance, therefore I needed a good IR and possibly a good motion detection for this distance.
Thank you

- WiFi support

Thank you again
Welcome @Giovyx

You'll need to closely examine your requirement:
20-25m motion detection / IR range

25 meters is very long for most of the cameras you have probably looked at to get any meaningful details.

See the ipvm calculator and look for DORI in the cliff notes to get a better idea.

If you're new to security cameras considering picking up one of the varifocal models that @SouthernYankee posted in his reply, don't worry - you can buy some additional equipment to extend your LAN via WiFi to a good quality IP PoE camera. ( look for threads on it here ).