Considering buying Dahua equipment

aporopos

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello!

I have thought about investing in an IP-cam system and on the basis of talks with a local dealer and internet reviews I have somehow decided to go for Dahua. Mostly the argument has been the price / quality ratio but as you can see my references are more or less subjective. I'm no camera or photo professional so it's been a hard road to reach even this level of knowledge on ip-cams so far... so bare with me.

The setup would be as follows:

NVR4104-P
SD40212S-HN (PTZ)
IPC-HFW1320S (Bullet, 3x)

The location is in the middle of nowhere so no light pollution "available" and on these 60°N latitudes there's basically pitch black between 5pm and 9am - at least now when typing this message. Later in Summer it's again the opposite with constant brightness.
The use is more or less for fun / hobby and the surveillance part comes as a nice bonus at the moment.
The intention is to hook up everything on PoE and UPS, just to be sure. Internet connection will rely on 4G LTE (generally up 24/7 and a solid 10 to 30 mb connection).

Is that equipment capable of detecting movement and more importantly record video under the above mentioned conditions? Possibly an extra IR spot along with motion detector?
As these toys are quite expensive the working life is also important. Today they might be there but perhaps after a few years I want to move the PTZ elsewhere or something. The environment can also be quite harsh what comes to wind, rain, snow, temperature etc. Can they handle that environment and whats a reasonable life expectation of such a system?

My concern is also about the abilities of the camera software. The NVR has some sort of OS right? How smart is that OS?
Can I for instance program the PTZ on patrol mode to check for certain perimeters or is it only available on static picture triggering? Meaning that the PTZ would check places A,B and C and if there's movement in B then it stops the patrol and starts recording? And after a trigger event is over it continues the patrol? Can this Dahua NVR send events to iCloud for example? And can you manage the NVR HDD in general over the internet, like download, empty and check events locally?
I've checked some youtube videos and tried to understand the basics of motion trigger on Dahua, but it's hard to say without any hands on experience. Perhaps I have high expectations for features that might be available on the year 2020 model? :D

How about the bullet cams? I understood that model would be a 3mp cam?

As said earlier I talked with a local dealer and they gave me just eye popping prices on these equipment so I'm thinking about ordering the kit from Aliexpress instead - in case nobody knows a better option to buy Dahua online in Europe? The local dude asks for only the PTZ and NVR close to 900 USD so I didn't even bother asking for the system mentioned earlier. From Aliexpress I could get this whole system for the same price.

I almost ordered the whole package but then I got second thoughts as I read about people getting 1mp cams instead of 3mp, Chinese software versions, empty boxes etc. Well I guess that's the problem whatever you order from there. In addition I understood that the firmware updates might be a hassle / impossible. Does the NVR software need some sort of regular updates or can this whole system be a brick even if you wouldn't try to update anything? Another concern is the general IT-security of those Aliexpress models.Does the NVR need some updates or connection to Dahua servers, ever?
Perhaps there's some Aliexpress Doe checking out my videos on the other side of the globe? :D Or Dahua servers recognize a counterfeit product and shut it down? ;) ... okay okay, enough conspiracy theories .. but what if? LOL

And about the bullet cams - they market them as "a replacement" for some HFW4300(?) model, but is that just a hoax? They claim to have all the latest versions and recommend some other models due to that reason - well - what to say when all the cameras tend to look the same from the outside and of course you are temped to get the latest version. Some tech details are also a mismatch since Dahua website might say 90° angle while Ali Doe claims it to have only 50° angle. One seller was pushing to choose this model since "the Chinese have hacked the software and no safe anymore." Wtf?

Would you recommend an Aliexpress dealer that supplies proper Dahua cameras?

Okay okay, this post is already simply too long and a mess in general so I will stop here. I'll put the actual questions on underlined font so they are more easily recognizable (or perhaps they aren't even questions after all).

Suggestions, thoughts, comments?

Cheers!

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Welcome and where are you located?

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh okay. Was just trying to see if you can purchase from a US retailer. I don't use any Dahua equipment, only Hikvision. Are you sure you only want to use Dahua?

aporopos

n3wb
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Just that I spent hours and hours of understanding the differences between different models and model codes ... and the Hikvision product codes are just as confusing. So perhaps I chose Dahua because I wouldn't want to go through that all over again. Aren't they almost the same?

In case you can recommend something similar from Hikvision by technical specs I would be thankful though.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I only use Hikvision and from camera build quality, ease of setup and use to after support for me is better.

aporopos

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! I actually could find easily a few online stores in Europe that will deliver genuine Hikvision with a reasonable price.
So the journey continues with models and codes :)

----

For mods: If you consider this post as irrelevant or annoying or whatever just delete it. Perhaps I'll post something similar on Hikvision-section after a few days :)

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The hot items right now are Hikvision turret cams and the Huisun ptz bullet.

marid2apterbilt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As a newb that just installed a dahua system with 8 cameras I can say Technical info for dahua is hard to find, Mostly hands on learning. This forum seems to be mostly pro-hik but Ive learned the most about Ip systems in general here at IPcamtalk.

Sorry I cant answer any of your tech questions but I can say from my own research Dahua - less expensive - no tech support - Yes I ordered my cams from ALI
Hikvision - a little more expensive, Tech support easier to find.

For the DIY guy willing to research and read a lot of web pages in order to understand, Dahua isn't a bad choice. You will become your own IT tech just no college degree.

thesleepy_slee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! I actually could find easily a few online stores in Europe that will deliver genuine Hikvision with a reasonable price.
So the journey continues with models and codes :)

----

For mods: If you consider this post as irrelevant or annoying or whatever just delete it. Perhaps I'll post something similar on Hikvision-section after a few days :)
Can you give a few links to these stores? Thru pm if not accepted on the forum. Thanks.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This NVR is massively underrated: NVR4104-P

Most people have a thing for what they have, and they have Hikvision.

I have both systems within my immediate family and tbh I actually prefer Dahua, but the difference isn't huge. You don't have to buy from the US. "You will become your own IT tech just no college degree." <- this is true :)

As for "replacement", most of the time it's Chinese lies to sell you a Chinese market version.

I will check your post later and try to recommend you a system!

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the NVR4116-P and it's great. Although if I was to do it again I'd go for external POE as you can't access the cameras directly. You have to go through the NVR and can't change all of the settings.

The cameras are all plug and play with the NVR. I've never had a problem with any of the Dahua gear. Some of my cameras are Chinese firmware but Chrome does all the translation for me.

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the NVR4116-P and it's great. Although if I was to do it again I'd go for external POE as you can't access the cameras directly. You have to go through the NVR and can't change all of the settings.

The cameras are all plug and play with the NVR. I've never had a problem with any of the Dahua gear. Some of my cameras are Chinese firmware but Chrome does all the translation for me.
I don't understand can't access cameras directly. If I use the poe on an nvr I can't remotely change setting? But if I use a non poe nvr and a poe switch then I can change things through the wifi?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
most NVR's with built in PoE put all the cameras on a completely separate LAN and do not do any routing between yours and its.. so the only thing exposed to your LAN is the NVR.

if you provide your own PoE switch you can put your IPC's on your LAN with all your other devices..

jazzy29

n3wb
Reaction score
most NVR's with built in PoE put all the cameras on a completely separate LAN and do not do any routing between yours and its.. so the only thing exposed to your LAN is the NVR.

if you provide your own PoE switch you can put your IPC's on your LAN with all your other devices..
Are you saying my IP cameras would be more accesible if I were to just connect them up to my LAN?
My problem is that my current DVR with analog cameras is not always accessible unless my iPhone is connected to a WiFi somewhere.
My idea was to buy an NVR and start investing in IP cameras for better quality image, but have not been able to pull the trigger due to all the confusing spec's.
I want a 16ch nvr, that is less than $500. I don't know if it's best to have built inPEO or simply use a switch.
Can you recommend an NVR? This is the one I've narrowed it down to... DAHUA NVR5216-16P-4KS2

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Are you saying my IP cameras would be more accesible if I were to just connect them up to my LAN?
My problem is that my current DVR with analog cameras is not always accessible unless my iPhone is connected to a WiFi somewhere.
My idea was to buy an NVR and start investing in IP cameras for better quality image, but have not been able to pull the trigger due to all the confusing spec's.
I want a 16ch nvr, that is less than $500. I don't know if it's best to have built inPEO or simply use a switch.
Can you recommend an NVR? This is the one I've narrowed it down to... DAHUA NVR5216-16P-4KS2
For the POE nvr the easy thing is to power the cams easily, and easy manage the cams, buy another POE switch have to add more costs.