Connector short-circuited

Nick1979

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I never got to finish installing my Dahua camera properly. So with rain water got in the poe rj45 connector. Now both the connector on the network cable as the camera are brown from the short circuit. Does anybody know if installing a new connector on the camera would make it work again? Or will I need to buy a new one?
Thanks

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
As long as you can read the colors of the wire on the camera you can repair it.

One option is to use a regular RJ45 and an RJ45, dual female coupler.

Another way is to use a punch down style RJ45 female on the camera end.

Just be sure to duplicate the order of the wire colors on the new connector, which ever you choose. Also make sure to duplicate the order on the cable coming to the camera, which should be 568-B wiring code.

I'd use the male and coupler method since you're installing in a wet area. Just make sure to completely waterproof it this time. Dielectric grease on the connectors, just a tiny dab on each, wrap with coax seal or other self amalgamating tape well past the connectors, then several layers of high quality electrical tape, again well past the self amalgamating tape. Of course make sure it works before taping it up.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For sure replace the connector on the incoming RJ45 POE feed. Make sure to unplug the wire from your POE injector before you start - learned that from experience and sparks when I cut it LOL. The camera..... you may get lucky so I'd do the POE cable first and retry the camera just in case it can work. I've tried cleaning the connectors with a very small mechanical pencil eraser and had successes and non-successes. If none of that works, you'll have to replace the connector on the cam too and hope they use regular color coding practices on the wires - I'm sure the do.

The use of the F-F coupler is a great idea - I've done that before, but in dry areas.

Do you have another camera to verify your new repair to the POE cable when it's done?

Nick1979

n3wb
Reaction score
hmmm, does sound like ordering a new one might be more efficient :) I don't want to run the risk of burning my house down haha...

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, if you haven't made your own RJ45 cables and don't have the tools it likely seems intimidating. The purchase of the tool (crimper) and pass-thru connectors is under $50 and then you can do as many as you like. I knew absolutely nothing about making my own cables and tried it out a couple years ago and can knock one off in a minute now. The key is using pass-thru connectors, that was a game changer for me in cable making.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Nick1979

n3wb
Reaction score
Sadly no luck so far, I have replaced the connector with a male UTP connector and quite sure I followed the procedures, but no luck so far :( costed me already a few hours, so I think I am going to accept this one being messed up at my own fault. Ah well you learn sometimes :)

Nick1979

n3wb
Reaction score
I wondered from your earlier comments if you were going to bin the faulty camera after buying a replacement.
I am so far out of luck in repairing it, and don't have that much technical knowhow, so maybe spend some time on it, but at certain point need to make a choice.

Nick1979

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok so far the confirmation I am not so good with technical stuff :). I was crimping the wrong part of the connector. This morning the correct way crimped and installing camera in nvr with new connector made it work right away. I think I bought a to cheap connector or the other utp cable is not working, but when using additional cable and connector no luck yet. But that part I should be able to resolve myself.

Thanks for all the patience and good advice!!!