Configuring IP cams with NVR

Robinbanks

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I am looking for some advice. I have purchased 2 x Hikvision POE cameras and a Hikvision NVR so that i can look back on any events that might have happened in the sheds outside.

This is what i would like to do and hoping someone can advise what hardware i need.

1. Router installed in house ----> connected via ethernet cable to the LAN port Hikvision NVR (DS-7604NI-E1/4P) sitting beside the router in the house.
2. Run an ethernet cable from the PoE port on the back of the NVR outside to the garage where 2 Hikvision POE cameras will be installed

I have already configured the NVR and assigned an IP address so i can connect into it through my local network. I connected the 2 cameras into the POE ports on the back of the NVR and both automatically popped up and i can see both cameras through HIkvision iVMS-4500 client software. This setup is working perfect for me.

What I am wondering is what hardware do i need outside to connect the single ethernet cable running from the NVR in the house to 2 cameras in the shed. I don't have the option to run 2 ethernet cables from the NVR outside to the sheds so i am wondering what options have i to connect the single cable from the NVR to the 2 cameras outside. The cameras will be placed approx 20 metres apart,

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can either put a POE switch on the other end if you have power in the shed or add one of these on the end if the distance from the home to the shed is not excessive (like less than 100-150 feet, but you might get a little more).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Robinbanks

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the advice. I will take that spec to local shop to see if they have something like it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Be sure you can return it if you go to the local shop - many of these passive splitters only work with one device at a time. This is the cheapest I have found that actually works.

Robinbanks

n3wb
Reaction score
Be sure you can return it if you go to the local shop - many of these passive splitters only work with one device at a time. This is the cheapest I have found that actually works.
I am able to soured one these locally. Tech spec attached. Do you think this is suitable?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh yea, for a plug-in POE switch those can be found locally! It is the passive ones that you have to watch out for.

Robinbanks

n3wb
Reaction score
Now i am totally confused. I was able to borrow a Netgear GS105 ethernet switch on my way home to try out. I have attached a picture of the setup in the house. (the NVR is under the netgear switch) At first i thought it worked but then i realized i was only able to see 1 of the camera's on the iVMS client software. I played around with the connections but no matter what i done only 1 camera was online, each would work on their own but when both were plugged into the back of the netgear switch only 1 was online (visible).

Now this is where it gets confusing, i continued to play around with connections and got both to work so i was pretty happy with that, but then as a test i turned the power off to the netgear switch, i didn't touch any other cable or connections. When i turned the power back on only 1 camera came back online. After a while i got both working again by playing around with the connections, moving from port to port swapping over and back. At this stage i didn't want to turn anything off but being clumsy i tripped on power cable to the camera and this was enough to cause the problem to occur again. I haven't been able to get them both to work together since.

I dont believe its an issue with the switch because 1 camera will always work, it doesnt matter which port i use or which cable. Its just when both are connected it doesnt work. I also noticed that when both are working, 2 led light are flashing on the netgear switch, when the problem happens the led on the netgear for the camera that is not online is solid, not flashing. so flashing obviously means online.

I have also ruled out the nvr because when i bypass the netgear switch completely both cameras are online.

To solve the problem i could place the NVR out in the shed and forget about using a switch but i don't like putting it outside in that environment.

Hope someone can help me figure this out

Attachments

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Put a POE switch at the shed and connect the switch to the router OR use a regular switch and add two POE power injectors for each cameras. Connect the NVR to router.

I'm pretty sure each POE port can only power up ONE device. I'm pretty sure somewhere in that manual of that Hikvision says the POE port is only for the POE camera and not for a switch and two cameras on it.

Last edited:

Robinbanks

n3wb
Reaction score
I think I have that setup as you described in your first paragraph. Each camera was supplied with a poe midspan. In my picture above. The 2 cables go into the poe supply and on the other side of that poe a cable goes to the camera to supply the power

Actually, just reading your comment again. I don't think I have it setup like you described. I have the switch connected to the nvr. I will try connecting it to the router and see what happens

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No, most of them can accept a POE switch on them and/or take two cams in one port. You just cannot go over the number of cams the NVR is capable of. You can't add 9 cameras to an 8 camera NVR...

The manual may say not to because they don't want to field phone calls from people that it doesn't work LOL (without using a POE switch you may be over the total wattage the NVR can put out for cams, but probably not unless they are all PTZs)...but I know many that are doing this just fine.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
No, most of them can accept a POE switch on them and/or take two cams in one port.
A Hikvision NVR will only establish a single camera connection when a PoE switch with multiple cameras connected to it is connected to an NVR PoE port.

Robinbanks

n3wb
Reaction score
Put a POE switch at the shed and connect the switch to the router OR use a regular switch and add two POE power injectors for each cameras. Connect the NVR to router.

I'm pretty sure each POE port can only power up ONE device. I'm pretty sure somewhere in that manual of that Hikvision says the POE port is only for the POE camera and not for a switch and two cameras on it.
I give up. Nothing seems to work. I plugged cameras into the ethernet switch and then plugged the switch into the router as shown attached.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting, my neighbor is doing it with a HIK NVR - he had to manually add the cams as it would not find them automatically (plug & play). But his is several years old, so maybe it used to work that way.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The fix is to connect the cameras to the external PoE switch, connect the switch to the LAN as opposed to the NVR PoE port, configure the camera IP addresses to be valid for the LAN.
Then pick an unused NVR PoE channel, set it to manual mode, and configure it with the LAN IP address of the camera to be associated with the channel.
This converts that NVR channel to connect to LAN-based devices instead of NVR PoE port based devices.
Plug&Play mode can't be used in that scenario.

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I give up. Nothing seems to work. I plugged cameras into the ethernet switch and then plugged the switch into the router as shown attached.
With that network you have in picture:

Does the NVR, camera have static IP or DHCP?
What are the IP address of the NVR and the cameras?
When you have a PC in that network, can you ping any of them? If you don't know how to use ping, read this.