Configuration of NetHDD of NVR with under Windows 7

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have tried unsuccessfully to configure the NetHDD of an NVR 7604NI/SEP with windows 7.
Is there any specific configuration to be done in Windows 7 before the NVR NetHDD can access it?

Has anyone succesfully used a NetHDD of an NVR in windows 7?

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
did you install nfs server on windows 7?

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have used the Free NFS Server.
Would you recomend a different NFS server for winows?

A additional HDD appears at the HDD Management screen of the NVR as offline.
How do I make it online?
How do I use this?
If I enter IP of the PC that has the server and the shared directory and press search, It finds nothing.
What if I want to create snapshots in this NetHDD?

I have tried to configure a camera connected at the PoE switch of the NVR in order to send the snapshots to the PC, but I have not managed it.
Please provide examples of the relevant settings.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
post the nfs export page from the nfs server

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect that how this works varies with the firmware version, and perhaps the model.
On my 7816N/E2 with 3.0.8 and 3.3.4 firmware, it's necessary to use the 'Search' button to find what NFS shares are being offered at the IP address you specify.
The NetHDD cannot be added manually in the table, that doesn't work.
Does yours have a Search button, as in these examples?
NVR_50.jpgNVR_51.jpg

*edit* Didn't read your post properly ...
"If I enter IP of the PC that has the server and the shared directory and press search, It finds nothing."
Suggest the NFS share isn't being exported.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In my IP settings the IPs are:
NVR=192.168.1.151
Camera IP through virtual host feature of NVR=192.168.1.151:65001
Camera IP as connected in the PoE switch of the NVR= 192.168.254.2 (mind you I have created a static route in my router to go through the 192.168.151 and it works. I can access my camera web gui at 192.168.254.2 from my LAN)
So as alastair suggests te NFS share is not exported or the FreeNFS server is not working properly.
How can I verify from windows which are the NFS accessible shares?

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
remove all the ips from the client settings in nfs server on windows. this will allow all to connect for now. Are there any other settings in nfs server? is the service running?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a camera that you could also use to test the share?
Do you have telnet access to the NVR?
If so, this minimalist example command would test if the access works - though this would not survive a reboot:
Code:
mount -t nfs -o vers=3,noac,sync,relatime,soft,nolock 192.168.1.201:/cctv1 /mnt

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Even if I remove all IPs, the searching from within the NVR as alastair suggets, does not find anything. In the camera gui there is no search feature under storage/NAS interface.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a camera that you could also use to test the share?
Do you have telnet access to the NVR?
If so, this minimalist command would test if the access works - though this would not survive a reboot:
Code:
mount -t nfs -o vers=3,noac,sync,relatime,soft,nolock 192.168.1.201:/cctv1 /mnt

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@alastair I run the command through the telnet of the NVR. check below response. I think I do not support relatime or there is something wrong.
NVR-1.jpg

Now with or without the FreeNFS server running both the NVR and camera can not find anything either through the NVR search button or through the camera Test button.
However when I disable my ESET smart firewall the /NFS share is accessible as SMB/CIFS but not as NFS.
With disabled the ESET firewall the NVR can not find anything.

In the FreeNFS I also deleted all IPs.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just found out that in the NVR if I define the PC IP and /NFS share as NAS and save, then in the HDD Management another HDD17 appears with 0GB capacity and 0GB free space and Offline status. Is this supposed to be the NFS share? Then how do I make it Online and how do I format is since this is a shared directory in my PC?

Similarly in the camera another HDD number 9 appeared with 0GB free space and Uninitialised status. Again how do I initialize it and format it as I said above?

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@alastair I run the command through the telnet of the NVR. check below response. I think I do not support relatime or there is something wrong.
View attachment 7757

Now with or without the FreeNFS server running both the NVR and camera can not find anything either through the NVR search button or through the camera Test button.
However when I disable my ESET smart firewall the /NFS share is accessible as SMB/CIFS but not as NFS.
With disabled the ESET firewall the NVR can not find anything.

In the FreeNFS I also deleted all IPs.
where is it available as /NFS smb? in nvr?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a weird error message! Failure: Success
You can just take the 'relatime' out of the command line - it's just for testing.

Interesting about the add-on firewall - it makes sense that it would get in the way of something outside the PC trying to access it.
Do you also have Windows firewall active?

I just found out that in the NVR if I define the PC IP and /NFS share as NAS and save, then in the HDD Management another HDD17 appears with 0GB capacity and 0GB free space and Offline status. Is this supposed to be the NFS share? Then how do I make it Online and how do I format is since this is a shared directory in my PC?
I believe this is because you added the entry manually - and it does not actually exist, or is inaccessible. ie Offline.
Either FreeNAS is not offering the NFS share - or maybe another firewall setting is blocking access to it.
If Windows firewall is active (and I don't know if the FreeNAS configuration would include adding rules to it automatically) check the inbound allow rules.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A few more comments.
I finally found ot that the ESET Smart Security firewall was blockingthe communication from the camera and the NVR to the Windows 7 PC. When I unblocked the camera and the NVR in the ESET and having shared a directory in the Windows 7 PC with Read/Write rights for everyone, then I could create a NetHDD havig specified at the NAS section of the camera SMB protocol, the IP address of the PC and /<theShareName> at the PC. Finally I formatted the NetHDD at the storage tab of the camera. Now the camera can record (in any mode, continuous, motion etc) and send timing snapshots at the PC. All this independently of how the NVR has been configured for the specific camera.

Unfortunately, the bove does not work for the NVR. It seems that the NVR does not support SMB shares. It ony support NFS shares. Therefore I installed the haneWin NFS server 1.2.18 and created the NFS shares at the windos PC. Now the NVR can search and find these NFS shares at the specified IP. However the formatting of the created NetHDD does not complete and finishes wit an error. This error in conjuction with the weird reply from the command that alastair suggested in theprevious post, leads me to the conclusion that either there is a bug in the 3.0.9 version of the firmware, OR my firmware installation/configuration is partly corrupted/incomplete.

So the question is: Has anyone succesfully configured, formatted and used the NetHDD feature with a Windows 7 shared directory? If someone is succesfull, Please provide details of firmwre versions and H/W models.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I finally found ot that the ESET Smart Security firewall was blockingthe communication from the camera and the NVR to the Windows 7 PC.
Ah, so that was the culprit all along. It makes sense.

On the problem with the NFS share and the NVR - what is the volume size that the haneWin server is offering?
I'm wondering if the NVR netHDD storage configuration has a similar size limit to the cameras.
I use NFS shares on my NVRs, but they are offered from a NAS that has the ability to set the volume size. They are at 200GB to match the requirements of the cameras, I've not tried the NVR with larger sizes.
Does your haneWin NFS server have the ability to specify the volume size it offers on the shares? Or the ability to set a quota per IP address?