JBiz

n3wb
Reaction score
I have come across an AXIS Q6055-e from an online purchase and can't figure it out. I have never used a "POE" device but from what I can tell I need a "POE injector" so I got the 30W one and used standard cat5 patch cable from home router to injector and from that to the AXIS camera. I believe that is the only connection that goes to the camera. I have downloaded the AXIS companion & AXIS device manager but neither one of them are detecting the camera. It is preowned, but do I have it hooked up so far? Should I be able to tell if the camera works at least by just plugging in that cat5 and/or is cat5 cable even the right cable? I am completely new to this and read something about assigning an IP address to it, not sure if that is done on the downloaded software I have and can that IP address be found on the camera? Also I see that it might have a storage card(haven't opened it up yet to check), does it need to have that card installed to function. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure these will not be my only questions. Thank you for your time.

JBiz

n3wb
Reaction score
I do thank you kindly for that. I just tried that with no luck. No flashing lights of any kind. However, after opening it up I noticed what looks like a button battery inside. Could this be the issue? Also it the memory card slot is empty.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The specs here state to use a 60W POE injector.

On injector, insure "POE" goes to camera and "LAN" goes to your router or PC / LAN.

Insure Ethernet cables are copper (not CCA) and are wired to T-568B spec, test both for correct operation with a cable tester or on another device.

Assign your PC a static IP like 192.168.0.91, connect it directly to the "LAN" port on the injector, reset the camera as mentioned by @IReallyLikePizza2 and attempt to access its webGUI using its default IP of 192.168.0.90 by putting that IP into your Chrome browser and hitting <Enter>.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

JBiz

n3wb
Reaction score
I set static IP to 192.168.0.91 on pc, connected pc to data port on injector and data+power port from injector to camera and tried to reset and get no response on camera. I have tried changing ethernet and wifi adaptors to that static Ip, still no response on camera. I have two separate injectors and both do the same thing, power led lights solid blue and the power+data led blinks. I do get a very faint ticking sound, about every second from inside the camera. Also inside the camera there are three buttons, one that is triggered when dome is removed, one push pin that is on the cam turret and another one one the cam turret but recessed about an 1/8". I tried resetting using each and both in the reset process. I was unable to access the webGUI, whenever I put "192.168.0.90 " in the address bar I get "This site can’t be reached 192.168.0.90 took too long to respond." after pressing enter. Thank you

JBiz

n3wb
Reaction score
Ahhh, scratch all that. I will get a 60w injector. I'll give update once that is tried. I do thank you for all the advice to both of you. Cheers

JBiz

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, I guess I'm at a loose with this device. Possibly it (or me) is broken. I tried it with the Axis High PoE 60 W SFP midspan injector and still getting the same results. Zero results.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you verified that both cables, from switch to PoE injector and from the PoE injector to the camera are good?

JBiz

n3wb
Reaction score
Wait.....switch? What is that and is that needed for setting up one camera ? I am VERY new to this and this is for a home network.

Reaction score
From what I have read, you have a computer and assigned it the IP address of 192.168.0.91
You have a 60W POE injector. You have connected the POE injector 'data' port directly to your computer (without going through your router), and the 'power+data' port to the camera. The injector lights work.

Have you attempted to reset the cam to factory defaults with the 60W POE injector connected? Since this was preowned, the IP address may not be on the zero subnet (192.168.0.xxx). It may be on something like 192.168.1.xxx. If that is the case, then your computer will not see it since it is 192.168.0.91.

Does the cam have IR lights? If so, do they come on when the room is full dark?

Open up a cmd window and type arp -a

It will list all IP connections on the subnet your computer is connected to. Maybe this will help you find the cam's IP address.

Wait.....switch? What is that and is that needed for setting up one camera
A switch is like a router, in that it has ports to plug the Cat5 cables into and connects your devises together. But it will not route traffic between networks. You can get POE switches that supply the Power over Ethernet so you do not need to have an injector.

Last edited:

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I got different info on factory default. This is from the user manual.

Step 4 is IMPORTANT

IF there is no dhcp server on the network, you'll get the 192.168.0.90 address. If you're connected to your router, you should get a local LAN IP. Using the Axis Device manager software, it should be detected.

Assuming it's s a used unit, sure you haven't purchased a dud ?

JBiz

n3wb
Reaction score
@samplenhold, yes I have assigned static ip address to my laptop by editing "Internet Protocol 4 (TCPIPv4) properties" changing it from automatically obtaining IP address to 'Use the following IP Address' 192.168.0.91 and it made me enter a subnet mask so I used what popped up on its own which was 255.255.255.0, I am using the recommended(I believe) 60w SFP MIDSPAN INJECTOR 5901-001 POE60S-1BT and I am getting solid green lights on the injector. I just got the RJ45 push pull connector today and have not installed that yet on the cable. I not sure if that is required or not. I am getting zero response from the camera. No lights or movement of any kind. All I get is a very faint clicking sound at the rate of one click per second. Am I assigning a static IP address correctly? Does the RJ45 push pull connecter need to be installed for the camera to get power( I am using UTP CAT6 550MHZ PATCH ISO/IEC 11801 & EN 50288 & ANSI/TIA-568-C.2 3P CONFORM FOR GIGABIT ETHERNET 24AWGX4P TYPE CMX(UL) E153116-Y RoHS) cable. If all this is as stated and no reply from camera, would it be safe to say the camera is bad?
Just wanted to add that it is the "ethernet" properties I edited when setting the static IP address...

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK, so the push pull connector is for terminating the ethernet cable without using a crimper. But if you have premade cables, with RJ45 plugs on each end, you do not need this. This would be used to take bulk cable and put an RJ45 plug on one end.

I take it this is how it is set up?
1612421598172.png

You state you are getting solid green lights on the injector. So the 'Power' light is solid green and the 'Port' light is solid green? That means the injector has connected to the cam and the port is providing load.

So per post #13, do the factory reset.

By the way, you might have to turn off the WIFI to the laptop so that the cam does not get a DNS IP address and will take the default 192.168.0.90

JBiz

n3wb
Reaction score
I think I have hit a brick wall. I'm getting zero response from the cam. I am caught up with all you mentioned. I guess my final question would be does it need a memory card to work? It does not have one, I do thank all of you for your help.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The crimp connector I believe provides water proofing, I would use a normal patch lead while testing on the bench.

The midspan injector likely doesn't support mdix, you should connect your PC and the midspan device to a switch.