Comcast/Xfinity Increases 20 million Internet customer's speed

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The SB6190 is a great modem? I take it you haven't heard of the vulnerabilities (DDOS related) that are still on it with no fix in the pipeline? All of the Puma 6 based modems were garbage. There's still a lawsuit ongoing because of the issues that thing had. They did manage to mostly fix the horrible jitter and latency it had a couple years ago but it's reputation is tarnished. I'm still surprised they're selling refurb units due to how bad those things were. I believe they also pushback with activating docsis 3.0 modems too. They're pushing everyone to docsis 3.1 since that's the future until 4.0 comes out later in the decade.

Comcast is rolling out 2 gig right now. The following areas have access to those speeds right now:
View attachment 144551
The SB8200 is still solid for gig and under but the S33 and MB8611 are the replacements and support 2.5g. Netgear has some good options too.
Thanks. Yeah, I have read several articles in the past about this. I have 4 people I know who have/had the 6190 and all of us has not experienced any of the issues mentioned. 3 of the 4 mentioned are Gamers. I would say even hardcore, playing everyday. These days I avg. a couple hours a day. Also do my fair share of downloading, we all do. We have had zero DDoS hits, no issues with latency, of course now and then Comcast has their issues each time verified on their end, our speeds have been pretty solid, of course I stayed on the old Blast service but Zero issues gaming or downloading. For myself and a friend who still have the 6190, we both have pfSense Routers which is easy to check logs for issues, we also check our Modem logs, but each time we have had any issues, it was Comcast and not our Modems...

Maybe it is hit or miss to get one of the Modems that had issues, don't know, but my 6190 is rock solid, even better than my previous Arris modem, I believe it was the 6120, can't remember. But it's issues were due to Comcast upgrading their network, I was told, talking to Tier 3 level Comcast Techs, they suggested the 6190, way back then. At this point, I am getting a solid 700 Mbps on my 6190, probably won't change anything, it is a big jump from 125 for me. If I had more users I would think different, only my wife and myself and about 40 WiFi devices, which use very little bandwidth :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One more thing to remember about refurb modems is they may still be provisioned on whatever carrier you want to use it on. If that happens the MAC address is already registered and you won't be able to activate it. You will be SOL, and need to buy something else, or stick with the original modem. Fortunately, this did not happen with the CM500 I currently use. Luck of the draw.
Good catch. But it can always be returned to Amazon, unless stated otherwise. I know on cell phones, I have read about a few locked phone issues non-returnable...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh right. I completely forgot about that. I know Comcast is supposed to remove unused modems after a set amount of time but that rarely happens. I like to save money but it's best to just buy a new modem and be done with it. You don't need the greatest one if you don't care about the max speeds but buying an old, used one isn't a good idea. Black friday sales usually knock the sb8200 down quite a bit and I know I've seen $50 off on the S33 too. Also docsis 3.1 gives you extra channels for bonding so you'll get a more stable connection too, regardless of speeds.

At this very moment if someone doesn't have a modem they own I say spend the money, get a docsis 3.1 modem, and be done with it for the decade. Spend more to go past a gig if that's something you really want.
Agreed. What most people don't realize is our Gigabyte networks are our bottleneck. I have 5 Managed L2/L3 TP-Link Switches, all Gigabyte. My trophy switch is my Main, 2600G-28MPS (TL-SG3424P) which is now double in price from what I paid for it...crazy...but it is great running an Enterprise Network at home. Talk about zero latency, these switches Rock, glad I got rid of my cheap unmanaged switches a few years ago, also the SOHO Asus router and APs. Running pfSense on an i5 Qotom box, a bit over kill, with less than 5% CPU usage :) I know I use Rock Solid a lot :), but my EAP660 AP is Rock Solid too. I can have 16 SSIDs, it is great at handling VLANs, and WiFi 6 along with WPA3 is a nice upgrade from my previous EAP245 and EAP225

Hopefully when the 2Gig speeds come the 2.5 and 10Gig switches will be more available and prices will be more reasonable. Not holding my breathe though.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got a similar upgrade notice. Rebooted my router / modem and now get 220mbs down but still the pathetic 5.7mbs upload. which makes remoting in via vpn painful. I'd much rather have 100 down and 25 up.
I am with you but strangely enough, I come in around 10 and for what I do, check Cams, my Alarm system, Thermostat, etc. it works for me. But it really depends on my Cell service on my phone. Even with 5G, I have issues at times.

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
My Comcast download speed has been at 75 Mbps for a few years. I checked my Comcast account page and it said my download speed is now 800 Mbps. I rebooted my old Arris SB6183 which is rated up to 400 Mbps. When I run a speedtest now I get 573 Mbps. I've had this SB6183 since September 2015 and it has been rock solid. I guess if I upgrade my cable modem I could get the 800 Mbps, but for now I'm happy with the speed upgrade.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Relatively-slow upload speeds isn't just ISPs being jerks, although sometimes it is. Many of the connectivity technologies between your PC and the servers you're contacting are half-duplex. So they can either be connecting you for download during a timeslice, or they can be connecting you for upload for a timeslice, but not both. They alternate between the two so quickly that you can't tell that they're separate timeslices, but they are separate.

But that means they have a choice between how many time slices to allocate for download vs. upload. Since 95% of traffic from 95% of people is download (those are totally made-up numbers, but they're directionally correct), it makes sense to allocate 90% of the time slices for download.

That said, remote work and remote school have really changed the traffic mix, plus there's been a lot of fiber (full-duplex) deployed recently, so a lot of ISPs are now offering symmetric service.

I ditched my $220/month o_O plan (50/20 + TV + phone) for a $75/month 1000/1000 plan from the same company (Frontier Fiber) and then added YouTubeTV for $65/month. So I'm saving a ton, plus getting massively faster upload for all my BlueIris traffic.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My Comcast download speed has been at 75 Mbps for a few years. I checked my Comcast account page and it said my download speed is now 800 Mbps. I rebooted my old Arris SB6183 which is rated up to 400 Mbps. When I run a speedtest now I get 573 Mbps. I've had this SB6183 since September 2015 and it has been rock solid. I guess if I upgrade my cable modem I could get the 800 Mbps, but for now I'm happy with the speed upgrade.
That is great. Two of my friends had the 6183. Yes, they also had no problems...both were on Comcast too...
Have to say, this was a big surprise for me...I assume this is to keep Comcast competitive since there are more Fiber companies now, like TheWaterBug mentioned. We almost had one of those companies install in our neighborhood, what they did was if they could get 250 people to commit, I think they asked for $50 each, then they would install. They advertised 1000/1000 plan too, no contracts, no data limits. Hopefully in the future but for now it is Comcast for me. Been with them a few decades now.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Relatively-slow upload speeds isn't just ISPs being jerks, although sometimes it is. Many of the connectivity technologies between your PC and the servers you're contacting are half-duplex. So they can either be connecting you for download during a timeslice, or they can be connecting you for upload for a timeslice, but not both. They alternate between the two so quickly that you can't tell that they're separate timeslices, but they are separate.

But that means they have a choice between how many time slices to allocate for download vs. upload. Since 95% of traffic from 95% of people is download (those are totally made-up numbers, but they're directionally correct), it makes sense to allocate 90% of the time slices for download.

That said, remote work and remote school have really changed the traffic mix, plus there's been a lot of fiber (full-duplex) deployed recently, so a lot of ISPs are now offering symmetric service.

I ditched my $220/month o_O plan (50/20 + TV + phone) for a $75/month 1000/1000 plan from the same company (Frontier Fiber) and then added YouTubeTV for $65/month. So I'm saving a ton, plus getting massively faster upload for all my BlueIris traffic.
Makes very much sense. If Frontier were available I would jump on it too. I think Tachus was the one trying to come into our subdivision. Presently we have Internet and Basic Cable, mainly local channels, I think around 30, though we do have HD channels too now, but an antenna would do the same. I remember when the Blast service came available, we paid $3 more for Basic Cable :), that was when our bill was around $60 a month, a couple of decades later we now pay $90...but no contract, which I don't mind paying a little extra for. A few of my family members/friends got burnt at the end of their contracts. All their savings got eaten up within a few months...

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am not following the math. You are happy to pay 30 extra each month to have no contract, adding up to hundreds a year extra, but somehow friends got burned with a contract?
Meaning they were somehow charged thousands (or way more than hundreds)?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am not following the math. You are happy to pay 30 extra each month to have no contract, adding up to hundreds a year extra, but somehow friends got burned with a contract?
Meaning they were somehow charged thousands (or way more than hundreds anyway)?
These were old Plans I was referring to. Back a couple of decades ago there were no contracts. AT&T started the contract nonsense...

The family member and friend I was referring to did not have a non-contract option back then around when the contracts started. Since you mentioned $30 a month, I think that was around the price they paid extra on their new contract but with less channels. I just know both were very upset saying they did not save anything with the promotional contracts they had and to get what they had would of cost much more than what they saved.

Yeah, I should of not made that statement at today's prices. Good catch.

EDIT: Now rereading my message and your comment I see where you got the $30 from. That was just the increased pricing over the 2 decades of our Plan. Sorry for my confusion...

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
20 and 30 years ago...
Gawd I am getting old...:) Most of my stories are from a few decades back :(

I use to call Comcast every few years to see if they had a better plan than what we have, every time the Rep. would tell me not to change our old Plan. We had a similar old plan with Sprint, same thing there, "Do not change your plan"...We finally jumped over to a Senior plan on T-Mobile. Now the overseas Reps never said that and tried to always sell us on a more costly plan. We don't need a $200 Cable Bill...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glad you posted this. New modem arrived today. My old modem topped out at ~280 Mbps. New modem is topping out at ~750Mbps. Big upgrade!
I bet there will be a Modem shortage :)

What Modem did you get?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I get to my Modem via 192.168.100.1

1667615682593.png

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
There is no access to my modem as I have a router in front of it. It’s basically in gateway mode. My Peplink router handles everything.

You would have to physically connect a PC to the routers Eth port in order to connect to it directly and manage it.

EqaqBqaq

n3wb
Reaction score
Tbh, I’ve not noticed it’s been increased. The speed test still shows the same result. I hope it’s not a scam. Oh, guys, I guess I have a too-old router. I’ve read an article about my problem with Xfinity on , which says that one reason that speed has not been increased may be a too-old router. Of course it’s old! It has only one antenna, lol! Guys, do you have any recommendations for a router? I used to have a TP-Link one. If some details are needed, let me know. Actually, I only need WiFi to send a signal away 200-300 meters.

Last edited: