Comcast/Xfinity Increases 20 million Internet customer's speed

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I'm on an old Blast! Plan, non-contract. My speeds were 125 Mbps. I went online to check our account 10/31 and noticed this:

1667326016309.png

1200 Mbps??? I did not see anything different in the Plan. Did a SpeedTest and now averaging 700 Mbps. Very Kewl...I remember Comcast doubling our speed a few years back, our service was only a 50 Mbps Plan originally...

Last edited:

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was on their 200Mbps / 5Mbps Performance Pro+ plan. My weekly Comcast speed tests have normally reported a bit higher than that on the downloads. Uploads are typically 4-5Mbps.

Checked my Xfinity account today and it states my plan is "Up to 400Mbps" (but no change to upload speed, still 5Mbps). Yoo-hoo, my upload speed was upgraded. But speed testing shows the same download results. Not impressed.

I remember Comcast doubling our speed a few years back, our service was only a 50 Mbps Plan originally...
I was on a 75Mbps plan, but changed to 200Mbps when the pandemic started. To my surprise the higher speed plan saved me $10 month.

- Thomas

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I'm on an old Blast! Plan, non-contract. My speeds were 125 Mbps. I went online to check our account 10/31 and noticed this:

View attachment 144485

1200 Mbps??? I did not see anything different in the Plan. Did a SpeedTest and now averaging 700 Mbps. Very Kewl...I remember Comcast doubling our speed a few years back, our service was only a 50 Mbps Plan originally...
Why is Comcast so whimpy for upload?

10Mbps seems comparatively slow if you want to access your cameras remotely (when out of your house.) ...or...uploading to YouTube.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why is Comcast so whimpy for upload?

10Mbps seems comparatively slow if you want to access your cameras remotely (when out of your house.) ...or...uploading to YouTube.
Agreed, I think this is just from our old Plan. I only had 125 Mbps download, so at the time 10 Mbps upload was the norm. Unfortunately, my uploading is still at that level, hopefully they will fix that.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
It's going to depend on your modem (if cable). Mine tops out at around 350Mbps even though my Superfast plan calls for 800Mbps. I need to upgrade that thing.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just checked my modem specs (Netgear CM500-100NAS). It's advertised as "For Cable Plans up to 400Mbps". But there's some fine print I didn't notice before, which says "Speeds by carrier: Spectrum (up to 400Mbps), Xfinity (up to 200Mbps), Cox (up to 150Mbps). "

So that seems to explain why speed testing my new "400Mbps" plan is such a disappointment. Looks like it's time to upgrade the modem.

- Thomas

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My SB6190 has been a Great Modem. My son got Comcast's Gig service, 1.2 Gig, anyway we got him a SB8200 and he gets a steady 900+ Mbps down no problem and I believe his upload speed is very good too, 300+, I don't fully remember since we were more focused on the download speeds setting it up...

In the Comcast article it was mentioned getting 2 Gigs by 2025.

If it were me, I would get the Arris SB6190 for the low price and wait for future Modems for the future 2 Gig speed.

Reaction score
I just checked my modem specs (Netgear CM500-100NAS). It's advertised as "For Cable Plans up to 400Mbps". But there's some fine print I didn't notice before, which says "Speeds by carrier: Spectrum (up to 400Mbps), Xfinity (up to 200Mbps), Cox (up to 150Mbps). "

So that seems to explain why speed testing my new "400Mbps" plan is such a disappointment. Looks like it's time to upgrade the modem.

- Thomas
I have the Netgear CM500-100NAS and was recently upgraded from 300Mbps to 400Mbps by Xfinity. Running the speed test I'm getting 350Mbps download and 11Mbps upload. Good enough for me. I have been told pricing will be going up as of the 1st of the year for most plans. Hopefully, that's incorrect.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was on their 200Mbps / 5Mbps Performance Pro+ plan. My weekly Comcast speed tests have normally reported a bit higher than that on the downloads. Uploads are typically 4-5Mbps.

Checked my Xfinity account today and it states my plan is "Up to 400Mbps" (but no change to upload speed, still 5Mbps). Yoo-hoo, my upload speed was upgraded. But speed testing shows the same download results. Not impressed.

I was on a 75Mbps plan, but changed to 200Mbps when the pandemic started. To my surprise the higher speed plan saved me $10 month.

- Thomas
I was just thinking, your Modem may need a firmware upgrade. I know on my old Modem, several years back, fixed a slow download issue I was having. Most ISP's control our modems and push upgrades/changes to them. I would call Comcast, now that this speed increase is official, and have them check your firmware. I remember the Tech. upgraded my Modem's firmware while on the phone with him, he then had me check my speed and that fixed it. Worth a Try...

Last edited:

chap1982

n3wb
Reaction score
My SB6190 has been a Great Modem. My son got Comcast's Gig service, 1.2 Gig, anyway we got him a SB8200 and he gets a steady 900+ Mbps down no problem and I believe his upload speed is very good too, 300+, I don't fully remember since we were more focused on the download speeds setting it up...

In the Comcast article it was mentioned getting 2 Gigs by 2025.

If it were me, I would get the Arris SB6190 for the low price and wait for future Modems for the future 2 Gig speed.
The SB6190 is a great modem? I take it you haven't heard of the vulnerabilities (DDOS related) that are still on it with no fix in the pipeline? All of the Puma 6 based modems were garbage. There's still a lawsuit ongoing because of the issues that thing had. They did manage to mostly fix the horrible jitter and latency it had a couple years ago but it's reputation is tarnished. I'm still surprised they're selling refurb units due to how bad those things were. I believe they also pushback with activating docsis 3.0 modems too. They're pushing everyone to docsis 3.1 since that's the future until 4.0 comes out later in the decade.

Comcast is rolling out 2 gig right now. The following areas have access to those speeds right now:
1667397680068.png
The SB8200 is still solid for gig and under but the S33 and MB8611 are the replacements and support 2.5g. Netgear has some good options too.

Reaction score
The SB6190 is a great modem? I take it you haven't heard of the vulnerabilities (DDOS related) that are still on it with no fix in the pipeline? All of the Puma 6 based modems were garbage. There's still a lawsuit ongoing because of the issues that thing had. They did manage to mostly fix the horrible jitter and latency it had a couple years ago but it's reputation is tarnished. I'm still surprised they're selling refurb units due to how bad those things were. I believe they also pushback with activating docsis 3.0 modems too. They're pushing everyone to docsis 3.1 since that's the future until 4.0 comes out later in the decade.

Comcast is rolling out 2 gig right now. The following areas have access to those speeds right now:
View attachment 144551
The SB8200 is still solid for gig and under but the S33 and MB8611 are the replacements and support 2.5g. Netgear has some good options too.
One more thing to remember about refurb modems is they may still be provisioned on whatever carrier you want to use it on. If that happens the MAC address is already registered and you won't be able to activate it. You will be SOL, and need to buy something else, or stick with the original modem. Fortunately, this did not happen with the CM500 I currently use. Luck of the draw.

chap1982

n3wb
Reaction score
One more thing to remember about refurb modems is they may still be provisioned on whatever carrier you want to use it on. If that happens the MAC address is already registered and you won't be able to activate it. You will be SOL, and need to buy something else, or stick with the original modem. Fortunately, this did not happen with the CM500 I currently use. Luck of the draw.
Oh right. I completely forgot about that. I know Comcast is supposed to remove unused modems after a set amount of time but that rarely happens. I like to save money but it's best to just buy a new modem and be done with it. You don't need the greatest one if you don't care about the max speeds but buying an old, used one isn't a good idea. Black friday sales usually knock the sb8200 down quite a bit and I know I've seen $50 off on the S33 too. Also docsis 3.1 gives you extra channels for bonding so you'll get a more stable connection too, regardless of speeds.

At this very moment if someone doesn't have a modem they own I say spend the money, get a docsis 3.1 modem, and be done with it for the decade. Spend more to go past a gig if that's something you really want.

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Update:

Yesterday my CM500 modem (which runs Xfinity's latest firmware) was only getting 200Mbps. Today I see average speeds that range from 310 to 420 Mbps.

And yesterday there was a notice on the Comcast account page that warned of outages in my area due to equipment upgrades. So perhaps today's improvements are related to that effort.

Long story short, I'll skip replacing my modem. Seems to be adequate on my 400Mbps plan. Yoo-hoo!

- Thomas

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Comcast sent me a text 2 weeks ago letting me know that they upped my download speed from 300 to 500 for no apparent reason. But they charge me stupid amounts of money either way, so I think they are trying to avoid me moving to the competition.
And they are correct.