ColorVu, basic guidance needed

Jono83

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am a novice regarding operating IP cams so looking for a little guidance. Considering the purchase of a Hikvision ColorVu 4mm camera and I am trying to specifically understand “how to’s” with
(1) alerts/notifications being pushed to my Galaxy Note 9
(2) ability to see live views remotely on my droid phone
(3) 24x7 recording for viewing past activity with a preference to start with using the micro sd card for storage and eventually move to NVR or PC based system/storage
From my research it appears the 3 activities above are all possible through apps provided by the camera supplier or via OEM apps provided by Hikvision. Is this true in theory or true in reality? Does this mean that I need to be very careful where I buy this because I’ll be dependent on their apps?

My current experience is primarily with Wyze cams and Eufy so I understand issues like delayed notifications, false positive notices, slow app response times, rebooting cams/apps/routers etc.

I have a location that appears to be perfect for the ColorVu (driveway under eave placement, relatively easy access for Cat5 cable, good ambient light) so night color should be outstanding.
Trying to understand how much trial and error I’ll be in for in actually utilizing the ColorVu

Reactions: E-Q

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
From my research it appears the 3 activities above are all possible through apps provided by the camera supplier or via OEM apps provided by Hikvision. Is this true in theory or true in reality? Does this mean that I need to be very careful where I buy this because I’ll be dependent on their apps?
I've not heard of apps being provided by Hikvision camera suppliers.
It would be interesting to see some references to your research.

I have a location that appears to be perfect for the ColorVu (driveway under eave placement, relatively easy access for Cat5 cable, good ambient light) so night color should be outstanding.
Trying to understand how much trial and error I’ll be in for in actually utilizing the ColorVu
Members usually get a wealth of useful feedback when some actual detail of a proposed location is provided - it gives something that can be compared with their own experiences and a good basis for feedback.

polaris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you buy a camera with microSD card support, you can write video there and don't need to use NVR. Keep in mind microSD cards have a limited write cycles and it's recommended to buy specialized ones (they are often called "endurance" cards). You can calculate needed space here: Hik Tool Software You will be able to view your camera or recordings though Hik-Connect app.

All OEMs i've seen direct you to official Hikvision apps, so there shouldn't be any problems using them.

Last edited:

Jono83

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thx YG, I plan to use microSD card just as an interim solution until I can get a handle on NVRs/options. Thus the Hik-Connect app will be my only "viewing method" initially and certainly I plan to use the app a lot when away from home/cam.

Do you happen to know if the ColorVu camera is part of HikVision's AccuSense series? I don't think it is which I believe means the ColorVu combined with Hik-Connect app won't provide person alerts. I am very interested in the ColorVu cam because of night clarity with just the ambient light but was hoping for more types of alerts/notifications than just a "motion" alert. Thx again

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You will have no issues doing the things you want with the ColorVu. Put the SD card inside for the recording. Power up the camera with a POE switch or injector and put it on your network. Then activate the camera and give it an IP address. Under network settings you will see the option for Hik-Connect if you want to use the cloud connection. If not then use the IP address to get the access. Make sure the SD card is initialized (formatted) and set up under "storage" and set the schedule for either continuous or event recording. The camera will have the basic motion detection along with line crossing and intrusion detection. You will get less false alarms with line crossing or intrusion. If you want the notifications then go to "linkage action" select "Notify surveillance center" if you want it to send to the app or "send email" to get the email.

polaris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you happen to know if the ColorVu camera is part of HikVision's AccuSense series?
No, but you should be able to buy AccuSense NVR later and get that functionality. Please someone correct me if I am wrong, I am learning this too.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, but you should be able to buy AccuSense NVR later and get that functionality. Please someone correct me if I am wrong, I am learning this too.
Yes. If you have an Acusense NVR then you can have four channels with regular cameras and the NVR will supply the processing of the AI features for them. It doesn't matter if you get the 8CH/16CH/32Ch.... You still just get 4 channels of NVR processed AI. After that (fifth camera and up) will need an actual Acusense/DeepInView camera to get the AI in which the camera itself will do the processing.

E-Q

n3wb
Reaction score
I am a novice regarding operating IP cams so looking for a little guidance. Considering the purchase of a Hikvision ColorVu 4mm camera and I am trying to specifically understand “how to’s” with
(1) alerts/notifications being pushed to my Galaxy Note 9
(2) ability to see live views remotely on my droid phone
(3) 24x7 recording for viewing past activity with a preference to start with using the micro sd card for storage and eventually move to NVR or PC based system/storage

My current experience is primarily with Wyze cams and Eufy so I understand issues like delayed notifications, false positive notices, slow app response times, rebooting cams/apps/routers etc.

May I ask what ColorVu cam are you looking at? I'm exactly in the same boat. I want to start with the standalone camera for my driveway.

I'm pretty much convinced ColorVu is the way to go and I'm thinking on buying the IPC-T2347G-LU 4mm version hopefully from @EMPIRETECANDY :) I believe it's the same version as the Hikvision ds-2cd2347g1-lu but want to support the guys here.

Question for the masses. Is there a better or newer version of this one? I just want to have a clear picture for my driveway and night color is a must for me.

Jono83

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yep E-Q, the same camera Hikvision ds-2cd2347g1-lu or OEM equivalent. I am still a bit confused on the camera app as some seem to indicate its all the Kikvision app, while others talk of a feature that's in the app only from OEM vendor XYZ. Not sure which is true, all apps the same in this case (Hikvision) or does each OEM have a slight variation of the Hikvision app under the OEM's name.

I have heard there may be a slightly newer version coming out potentially this year that is the same ColorVu camera but the newer version would include Acusense. If that's true and the newer version was priced right I would prefer that.

E-Q

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep E-Q, the same camera Hikvision ds-2cd2347g1-lu or OEM equivalent. I am still a bit confused on the camera app as some seem to indicate its all the Kikvision app, while others talk of a feature that's in the app only from OEM vendor XYZ. Not sure which is true, all apps the same in this case (Hikvision) or does each OEM have a slight variation of the Hikvision app under the OEM's name.

I have heard there may be a slightly newer version coming out potentially this year that is the same ColorVu camera but the newer version would include Acusense. If that's true and the newer version was priced right I would prefer that.
I just happened to step into a thread from another forum where someone linked the ColorVu & Acusense camera but it was the bullet kind. I guess it should be released this year. I’m also eager to see that cam but the turret version.

BTW, I changed my mind and I might go with the 2.8mm version.