CodeProject.AI Version 2.0

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@Pentagano Here are the settings I'm using trying to detect and alert on the raccoons on my property. In CPAI, I'm using the Large model and YOLOv5 6.2. Should I put something in the To Cancel field so each trigger has all 16 images analyzed to decide the best result? Thanks

Attachments

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have been monitoring the activities associated with the Coral accelerator for the last couple of months but for all the hype, IMHO it's performance is significantly less than my Nvidia 1060 card. Presently, Coral performance seems to be limited to a tiny or small model size which in turn substantially reduces reliable identification.

Coral is also said to use very low power in the range of 2-4 Watts. My 1060 card idles between 4-5 Watts and runs large models and very rarely needs to turn on the cooling fan.

So, my question is, am I missing something? I can imagine many less informed people jumping on the band wagon placing orders for Coral processors and then being very disappointed with the outcome.

Presently from everything I have read, the Coral accelerator is not suitable for serious security applications. Unless the accelerator has hidden untapped potential that I am unaware of, its use will be best utilised in other less demanding applications.
Excellent question, but I would challenge your 1060 card idles between 4-5 watts (that may be what it reports, but even under clocked\volted will be 10+), secondly that is idle most 1060 will be running 55w plus, but agree they won't hit their peaks.
On-Paper the Coral has extreme performance at 1.5watts.
In the real-world, paired with Frigate or ProjectAI agree the performance is far from extreme.
It's also far too new for Production Use, but here is the thing, it holds extreme potential to improve the efficiency of NVR solutions and is closer targeted at Image Recognition than a GPU.
My primary NVR has a 3060ti (just happened to be the most affordable GPU I could find at the time), and I was getting 30ms response times.
With Coral (default clock), and CodeProhect-Ai I get around 110ms response times. So much slower, but actually more than sufficient for an NVR use case.

If I was doing a new build, would I consider a Coral over a GPU? Honestly unsure, but the module that fits in the WiFi slot for $29 with 1.5w power draw is very tempting for a low power consumption build.

Another use case may be poor\low ventilation, removing the GPU from my rig, drastically reduced the heat output.

Last edited:

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Excellent question, but I would challenge your 1060 card idles between 4-5 watts (that may be what it reports, but even under clocked\volted will be 10+), secondly that is idle most 1060 will be running 55w plus, but agree they won't hit their peaks.
On-Paper the Coral has extreme performance at 1.5watts.
In the real-world, paired with Frigate or ProjectAI agree the performance is far from extreme.
It's also far too new for Production Use, but here is the thing, it holds extreme potential to improve the efficiency of NVR solutions and is closer targeted at Image Recognition than a GPU.
My primary NVR has a 3060ti (just happened to be the most affordable GPU I could find at the time), and I was getting 30ms response times.
With Coral (default clock), and CodeProhect-Ai I get around 110ms response times. So much slower, but actually more than sufficient for an NVR use case.

If I was doing a new build, would I consider a Coral over a GPU? Honestly unsure, but the module that fits in the WiFi slot for $29 with 1.5w power draw is very tempting for a low power consumption build.

Another use case may be poor\low ventilation, removing the GPU from my rig, drastically reduced the heat output.
My present understanding is that the Coral accelerator is unable to process medium and large models theirby reducing recognition accuracy. 110ms is an excellent response time for the Coral. Can you clarify if the 30ms and 110ms response times were using the same model size.

It is indeed a fact that software is limited in its capability to accurately determine power consumption. I am curious my self how much power is actually being consumed by the 1060 GPU and have decided to measure my dedicated system with and without the card. I will post the results tomorrow if I find the time.

tofu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My present understanding is that the Coral accelerator is unable to process medium and large models theirby reducing recognition accuracy. 110ms is an excellent response time for the Coral. Can you clarify if the 30ms and 110ms response times were using the same model size.

It is indeed a fact that software is limited in its capability to accurately determine power consumption. I am curious my self how much power is actually being consumed by the 1060 GPU and have decided to measure my dedicated system with and without the card. I will post the results tomorrow if I find the time.

To clarify, it's 20-30ms on the cp console, and 100ms average on the blue iris status window.

Small and tiny are about the same for me, so I'm just using small.

Attachments

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you share any info on inference times with a medium size model with the OrangePi units?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@MikeLud1 Was your animal model trained with any night images for the animals, or was it all day time images? I’m still fine-tuning things from the settings I showed above, just want to use the most accurate model and CPAI settings.

I have declared war on the raccoons, and I will be victorious! :p

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@MikeLud1 Was your animal model trained with any night images for the animals, or was it all day time images? I’m still fine-tuning things from the settings I showed above, just want to use the most accurate model and CPAI settings.

A couple of years ago saved a load of cat jpegs at night and ran them through the deepstack training module process. Wasn't an easy process and took 12 hours with the cpu at max.
At the end I had my own cat py model.
Did work better with deepstack.
But now CPAI works so well I don't need it for the feline creatures that deficate on my grass (not now with with the automatic sprinklers now)

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
But now CPAI works so well I don't need it for the feline creatures that deficate on my grass (not now with with the automatic sprinklers now)
I'm curious how you trigger your sprinklers. Can you tell me about that?

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm curious how you trigger your sprinklers. Can you tell me about that?
Nodered.
The sprinkler solenoid is connected to a simple sonoff device.
When nodered receives the mqtt payload for example ai/rear/motion with cat then this fires the sonoff device to open the pipe solenoid. Delay node for x minutes and close.
Result cat is scared shitless and runs off.
They are persistent though so need it on every night.
Knows when we leave the house so is on daytime when out.

1689719652024.png

1689719720579.png

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Most of the raccoon images I used is from the below link. Also Dennis for CP made a critters model that you can try, link below.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
cool, going to see how it works for the small feline creatures also
Is it possible to run old clips through to see how the critter model does? Other than dropping DAT files on the AI tab, I'm not sure how to do it. Thanks