Close up Camera project

Zwox

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all, :wave:

I need help choosing a camera for a special project.
I need a camera (dome) that can shoot very close video. (~25 cm)
I have already tried a few brands, but none satisfied me so far. It should cost a maximum €400 (~$450) if possible.
Does anyone have experience with this and know a camera that can do this? Resolution should also have at least 1080p, better still 1440p.

Thanks a lot :)

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
What type of focus range do you need? You need something as close as 25cm, but how far away will the farthest object be? Can it be a fixed focus lens, or do you expect to need autofocus?

Zwox

n3wb
Reaction score
What type of focus range do you need? You need something as close as 25cm, but how far away will the farthest object be? Can it be a fixed focus lens, or do you expect to need autofocus?
20-30 cm. It can be a fixed lens, but I tried already one (HIKVISION DS-2CD2186G2-ISU) and the outcome was, that the focus was around the object but not on the object itself.

Zwox

n3wb
Reaction score
To get focus that close to the lens I think you'll need to take the camera apart, remove the glue around the threads of the lens and manually focus it yourself.
That's not an option, since I don't want to produce e-waste if it fails. I'm not really experienced with Focal Lengths. Is there something specific I can look out for to achieve that kind of close range focus?
There are 100% Dome cameras out there that can do that, I just have no idea what exactly I need to look out for in terms of specs.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I haven't found anything specific yet, but I was going to suggest that perhaps a pinhole camera or a project board camera might work in this situation.

EDIT - here is a camera for the Raspberry Pi that can focus from 8cm out to infinity. Arducam Auto Focus Camera, Autofocus for Raspberry Pi Camera Module, Motorized Focus Lens, OV5647 5MP 1080P, Compatible with Pi 4/3B+/3 Of course you'll need a Raspberry Pi as well. I also don't know if you could integrate the camera/Pi combo into a larger system. They tend to be one camera solutions most of the time.

Zwox

n3wb
Reaction score
I think I saw a "Stream" of some sort of Birdwatcher or something. That was extreme close, even closer than I need (~15 cm) and he had an extreme sharp picture.

Zwox

n3wb
Reaction score
I haven't found anything specific yet, but I was going to suggest that perhaps a pinhole camera or a project board camera might work in this situation.

EDIT - here is a camera for the Raspberry Pi that can focus from 8cm out to infinity. Arducam Auto Focus Camera, Autofocus for Raspberry Pi Camera Module, Motorized Focus Lens, OV5647 5MP 1080P, Compatible with Pi 4/3B+/3 Of course you'll need a Raspberry Pi as well. I also don't know if you could integrate the camera/Pi combo into a larger system. They tend to be one camera solutions most of the time.
I kinda need to integrate that too my system :confused:

Zwox

n3wb
Reaction score

Could something like that work? In general

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Typically the minimal focal distance for a 2.8mmlens is abut a half meter. As I said, the only way to shorten that focal length is a manual adjustment. I terms of "producing e-waste", you're making a mechanical adjustment, not doing SMD electronics repair. The hardest thing is figuring out how to get the camera apart so you can get to the lens.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I need help choosing a camera for a special project.
I need a camera (dome) that can shoot very close video. (~25 cm)
It might help if you described the "special project" in more detail.

You'll likely need to adjust the focus manually or even swap out the lens. The simplest style of camera to do that on is a generally a "box camera" like this IPC-HF5241E-E or pinhole type.

Other options include a high quality usb webcam or a USB / HDMI connection to a photography type camera (Mirrorless or DSLR). More detail about the use case would help.

Last edited:

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Another one, a POE 1080p bird box camera. I have not used it.

Adjusting the lens:

Zwox

n3wb
Reaction score
Another one, a POE 1080p bird box camera. I have not used it.

Adjusting the lens:

It has to be Water-resistant.
I will try the Hikvision DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3

I also looked for Dahua option, but every model that was an option for me was nowhere to buy.