Checking IP camera if it's in good condition.

totik

n3wb
Reaction score
How to check hikvision IP camera if it's still in good condition? I have 5 IP camera 3 of them is offline I don't know why there are offline. any idea? please help. thank you.

totik

n3wb
Reaction score
How old are the cameras? Manufactured in the last ten years?
How is the Ethernet cable? New? Solid? Reliable? Or old and battered?
when they install it around 2016 until today no maintenance what so ever has been done the same as the cable but the cables are reliable old but not battered.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How to check hikvision IP camera if it's still in good condition? I have 5 IP camera 3 of them is offline I don't know why there are offline. any idea? please help. thank you.
Can you access the cameras easily? If so, I'd take them down, one at a time, and plug directly into them and see if they come up. If they are hard to get to, I'd confirm that the port on the switch that they are connected into recognizes that there's a device in that port based on the lights on that port. Is the POE working to them? Tried a reboot of them either thru their interface or just cycling the power to them? Did they have a static IP address? If not, could they have changed their IP address and you need to "find" them again? Weird that so many went down though - may be power or switch related...

totik

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you access the cameras easily? If so, I'd take them down, one at a time, and plug directly into them and see if they come up. If they are hard to get to, I'd confirm that the port on the switch that they are connected into recognizes that there's a device in that port based on the lights on that port. Is the POE working to them? Tried a reboot of them either thru their interface or just cycling the power to them? Did they have a static IP address? If not, could they have changed their IP address and you need to "find" them again? Weird that so many went down though - may be power or switch related...
Im working on it searching for link lights in the switch, maybe the problem is the cable?
If i reboot them it will not affect the IP addresses? Yes, the IP addresses are static each camera has own ip address.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the IP address is static, then there won’t be any effect from rebooting them. You should reboot both NVR’s. That will also reboot the cameras if they are powered by the NVR (most likely)