Changing the ip on a plug and Dahua PTZ ?

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

This is one the newer plug and play cams.
I know I read somewhere that you should not to try to change.the IP address but I ran into a problem. I reset two cams to try to fix a connectivity problem and somehow I now have two with the same ip, verified individually on the config tool. I tried plugging both in one at a time thinking thinking the second camera would chose a new ip but no go. So is there a potential problem changing the ip on the second cam?
Thanks,
Tubac

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried plugging both in one at a time thinking thinking the second camera would chose a new ip but no go.
With the caveat that I've not used that specific camera - usually after a full reset the IP address will go to the default fixed value of 192.168.1.108 which should then be changed to a static address that is valid for your LAN, outside the scope of the DHCP pool.
Then power up the second one, and repeat the process.

I know I read somewhere that you should not to try to change.the IP address
Do you recall where you saw that?
It's not correct.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to plug one camera in at a time. Go into the camera web GUI and set an IP address that is outside of the range that your router uses for DHCP addressing. The do the same with the next one.

There is no such thing as a "plug and play" Dahua camera. All the settings need to be customized for each, specific, installation. Actually the same is true for every camera it's just that the consumer grade cameras won't allow you to do that and leave you stuck with "auto" on everything which is a plan doomed to fail when you need the camera the most.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
How are you powering the cameras? Are you connecting both to PoE ports on a Dahua NVR?

What model us the second camera? Are both the same PTZ model?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
All Dahua cameras, and Lorex is rebranded Dahua, come with a fixed address of 192.168.1.108, no matter what model is involved, which makes it mandatory to change the IP address manually when the camera is initially configured.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes using an external switch, but what I was trying to get at was if he was using the built in PoE ports on a Dahua NVR?. Cameras plugged into them will be assigned a unique 10.1.1.x address to each port. Was guessing that’s what he meant by plug n play …?

Using the ports on a Dahua PoE NVR, Dahua cameras are truly plug n play with regards to IP address. Of course all other settings would still need to be adjusted to the scene..

Last edited:

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you for responding to my post.
Let me try and answer your questions.

valid for your LAN, outside the scope of the DHCP pool.
I have an Apple Extreme router 4th generation. I don't understand what "outside the scope of the DHCP pool" means.
Can you explain?

It's not correct.
[/QUOTE]

I thought I saw it here but could have misread or misinterpreted it.
I couldn't find it last night but will look further.

Regarding the reset...
I lost power after a monsoon storm, and when the power came back on these two cameras would not power up, so I opened them up to
reveal their reset buttons. I held the reset button down for a few seconds, plugged the cable back into the POE+ switch and the first camera
booted up. Then I unplugged the first camera and plugged in the second camera and the second camera booted. The original ip's were gone on both, replaced with a new ip which
happened to be the same number!

This is my set-up.
Netgear modem to an Apple extreme router. The router is hardwired to another Apple Extreme (garage) which is wired to the BV-Tech POE+ switch.
The two cameras are wired to this switch.

Camera is a Dahua PTZ-https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071NNG1XC?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details wired via cat 6 to the BV-Tech switch below.

BV-Tech Poe switch-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0754P9KLN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The BV-Tech switch is hard wired into a Netgear switch which is some 200 feet of Cat 5e away-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006RVPW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Netgear switch is hard wired to a Dahua 16 port NVR with built in POE switch-https://www.securitycameraking.com/product/elite-4k-16-channel-h-265-1u-nvr-w-16-ports-poe/

I have eight cameras plugged into the NVR, and five cameras into the BV-Tech Poe switch where the cameras in question are plugged into. Sharing that switch is another Dahua PTZ, the same model as the problem camera, and two OEM Dahua PTZ cams-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XZGQJ8N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 th

Thank you,
Tubac

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you for responding to my post.
Let me try and answer your questions.

valid for your LAN, outside the scope of the DHCP pool.
I have an Apple Extreme router 4th generation. I don't understand what "outside the scope of the DHCP pool" means.
Can you explain?

It's not correct.
[/QUOTE]

I saw it here but could have misread or misinterpreted it.
I couldn't find it last night but will look further.

This is my set-up.
Netgear modem to an Apple extreme router. The router is hardwired to another Apple Extreme (garage) which is wired to the BV-Tech POE+ switch.
The two cameras are wired to this switch.

Camera is a Dahua PTZ-https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071NNG1XC?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details wired via cat 6 to the BV-Tech switch below.

BV-Tech Poe switch-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0754P9KLN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The BV-Tech switch is hard wired into a Netgear switch which is some 200 feet of Cat 5e away-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006RVPW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Netgear switch is hard wired to a Dahua 16 port NVR with built in POE switch-https://www.securitycameraking.com/product/elite-4k-16-channel-h-265-1u-nvr-w-16-ports-poe/

I have eight cameras plugged into the NVR, and five cameras into the BV-Tech Poe switch where the cameras in question are plugged into. Sharing that switch is another Dahua PTZ, the same model as the problem camera, and two OEM Dahua PTZ cams-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XZGQJ8N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 th
You need to plug one camera in at a time. Go into the camera web GUI and set an IP address that is outside of the range that your router uses for DHCP addressing. The do the same with the next one.

There is no such thing as a "plug and play" Dahua camera. All the settings need to be customized for each, specific, installation. Actually the same is true for every camera it's just that the consumer grade cameras won't allow you to do that and leave you stuck with "auto" on everything which is a plan doomed to fail when you need the camera the most.
Hello,

Thanks for responding.
Could you explain when you say " set an IP address that is outside of the range that your router uses for DHCP addressing"
I have Apple Extreme 4th generation routers. Where would I find those settings so I would know what is outside its range?

Thank you,
Tubac

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I am not a user of Apple products, but it will probably be in the administration GUI of the router probably under LAN > DHCP.

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes using an external switch, but what I was trying to get at was if he was using the built in PoE ports on a Dahua NVR?. Cameras plugged into them will be assigned a unique 10.1.1.x address to each port. Was guessing that’s what he meant by plug n play …?

Using the ports on a Dahua PoE NVR, Dahua cameras are truly plug n play with regards to IP address. Of course all other settings would still need to be adjusted to the scene..
Hello,
This is my setup.
Netgear modem to an Apple extreme router. The router is hardwired to another Apple Extreme (garage) which is wired to the BV-Tech POE/POE+ switch.
It is a 130 Watt model.
The two cameras are wired to this switch. They are in the 10.X.X.X scheme.
Thank you,
Tubac

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Hello,
No, both cameras are on a BV-Tech ten port POE/POE+ switch.
All Dahua cameras, and Lorex is rebranded Dahua, come with a fixed address of 192.168.1.108, no matter what model is involved, which makes it mandatory to change the IP address manually when the camera is initially configured.
Hello,
With these two cams, I did not change the default ip at all when I got them. I plugged them in and they booted right up with a 10.xxxx ip.
I am assuming the plug and play aspect of these cams was that, by DHCP, they assigned a new ip. Is that correct?

Thank you,
Tubac

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If those cameras came up with a 10.x.x.x address they were either not new or had been powered up to an NVR. The default, fixed, address of Dahua cameras is 192.168.1.108.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^^
Yep
Now the question is, being as they worked initially with a 10.1.1.x address prior to this event, is his internal lan/router assigning the 10.1.1.x or is he feeding the switch from one of the PoE ports in the NVR which is assigning a 10.1.1.x ?

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am not a user of Apple products, but it will probably be in the administration GUI of the router probably under LAN > DHCP.
Checking further it seems the D6400 Netgear model is doing the routing as the Apple Airport Extreme is set to Bridge Mode which is a passthrough mode.
The D6400 DHCP settings are the following :
192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254. Pretty much the whole enchilada
I have just 2 cameras in the 192.168.xx scheme
Do these DHCP settings affect the the cams which are in the 10.xxx scheme?

Reaction score
Checking further it seems the D6400 Netgear model is doing the routing as the Apple Airport Extreme is set to Bridge Mode which is a passthrough mode.
The D6400 DHCP settings are the following :
192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254. Pretty much the whole enchilada
I have just 2 cameras in the 192.168.xx scheme
Do these DHCP settings affect the the cams which are in the 10.xxx scheme?
yes, you need to asign them an unused ip in your range if you want to view them in bi