Cat5e or Cat6 for IP Cameras at long distances?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm a little different with tape. I leave a pull tab by folding back a 1/4" inch, doubling it up, or so right where the tape ends.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
That works. I try to finish the tape job with a scissor cut edge by the cable end so i can feel the edge and peel it back. I took advantage of this water line repair to fish a 1” pvc conduit 24 feet across the lobby ceiling. I was so proud of myself that i was able to dig in that insulation and pull up the fiberglass sticks...only to have the last segment seperate at the screw-on joint and leave my pull string mired in limbo. Of course the second went as bad as possible. Fish sticks dissappered into blown insulation abyss. I was swearing like a Cable puller on a Friday with a nasty attitude. The cables you see are camera coax/fire alarm in red, and Bell telephone copper used to supply 12 Vdc to the camera runs. That pull string you see laying along the cables worked for 2 pulls, but got really hung up trying to make a 3rd pull. So i abandoned that one unless im pulling the opposite direction.
ATTACH]85574[/ATTACH]F1BA81D1-0B33-490F-A75D-7C45A7CA9EC2.jpeg50C00AF8-7F55-4AA1-91EB-AC3DFCC09093.jpegC54A2EE3-844D-41E4-B5DE-BA7C01FFD27C.jpeg

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I use a remote controlled toy tank to get a pull string in insulated or suspended ceilings. It helps to add a couple of LEDs, one red one green, so they're visible to aid in steering and location.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you get a decent one you can go a few hundred feet that way before loss of signal. No muss, no fuss, no insulation itching syndrome and not all that expensive. I kind of stripped it down, removed the turret and got rid of any other projections that it might catch on. Modified the front a little so it could "climb" over taller "obstacles". Saved me many hours of fooling with ceiling tile and a lot safer than a sling shot or crossbow pistol.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I was between a span of about 16 feet with two block walls and a 1 3/4" gap along the water pipe. if i played tank man from that opening i'da had to cut the ceiling at the other end to push the line thru the 12" cinder block. anyway i muddled thru it. I'm still itchy....

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Just to add to the conversation depending upon the age of the building & environment. It’s imperative to use proper PPE in any enclosed space.

Think rodent droppings, asbestos, fibre glass, etc. Anytime you see a thick blanket of fur in a vent.

Think sick building syndrome which comes from all manner of things from hair, skin, mold, smoke, oil, etc.

You ingest black mold spores for a extended period of time. You’ll have all kinds of health issues down the line!

nostrawag

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice about pro's/con's of cat5e versus cat6 for long distance runs to IP cameras.

The distance from the network room to the furthest camera is approximately 450 feet (137 meters). There are several IP cameras at this distance.

We are organizing to use Dahua 4MP cameras using power over ethernet. I do see that Dahua has some proprietary "ePOE" switch but not sure if this is Dahua specific technology or if a Ubiquity or other brand POE switch can do the same.

Do you have any suggestions on cat5e versus cat6 and any particular POE switch recommendation for long distance runs to IP cameras? I'm not against having a POE switch at the mid way point but also don't necessarily want to do so if we can get away with one POE switch.

Also what other characteristics should we go for the ethernet cable in terms of STP/UTP, how much AWG, etc? All ethernet cables will be indoors although may be subject to some high heat (110+ Fahrenheit temperatures during the summer)
just fyi, I have a cam at a remote point down my driveway whihc is located approx 150m cable run from the internal 'datacentre'.
this cable is a Cat5e cable, outdoor type.
it powers the cam over POE, I have no issues.