Cat5e or Cat6 for IP Cameras at long distances?

forumviewer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice about pro's/con's of cat5e versus cat6 for long distance runs to IP cameras.

The distance from the network room to the furthest camera is approximately 450 feet (137 meters). There are several IP cameras at this distance.

We are organizing to use Dahua 4MP cameras using power over ethernet. I do see that Dahua has some proprietary "ePOE" switch but not sure if this is Dahua specific technology or if a Ubiquity or other brand POE switch can do the same.

Do you have any suggestions on cat5e versus cat6 and any particular POE switch recommendation for long distance runs to IP cameras? I'm not against having a POE switch at the mid way point but also don't necessarily want to do so if we can get away with one POE switch.

Also what other characteristics should we go for the ethernet cable in terms of STP/UTP, how much AWG, etc? All ethernet cables will be indoors although may be subject to some high heat (110+ Fahrenheit temperatures during the summer)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice about pro's/con's of cat5e versus cat6 for long distance runs to IP cameras.

The distance from the network room to the furthest camera is approximately 450 feet (137 meters). There are several IP cameras at this distance.

We are organizing to use Dahua 4MP cameras using power over ethernet. I do see that Dahua has some proprietary "ePOE" switch but not sure if this is Dahua specific technology or if a Ubiquity or other brand POE switch can do the same.

Do you have any suggestions on cat5e versus cat6 and any particular POE switch recommendation for long distance runs to IP cameras? I'm not against having a POE switch at the mid way point but also don't necessarily want to do so if we can get away with one POE switch.

Also what other characteristics should we go for the ethernet cable in terms of STP/UTP, how much AWG, etc? All ethernet cables will be indoors although may be subject to some high heat (110+ Fahrenheit temperatures during the summer)
Hi @forumviewer

Thicker copper wires carry power better than thinner wires... that noted, I'd plan to keep runs < 100M

Personally I would rather go with better cat6 when running new cables as the price is typically not much more than cat5e given the amount of labor put in.

Reaction score
You could run a single Cat6 over regular non-POE cable from main network location out to center point of 300' circumference of furthest camera. This center point would be your POE switch. This could be handy for other network devices you have in the area (wireless AP's, printers, etc).

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score

ePOE is specific and proprietary to Dahua. Normally all of the systems incorporate ePOE into their hardware such as camera, Switch, and NVR.

Duhua makes ePOE Injector / splitters though.

In 2021 CAT-6 really is the only way to go which future proofs you as technology updates. Solid 23 AWG pure copper is standard fair and insure the proper Type is used whether it be CM, CMR, CMP, CMG, CMX.

Shielded cable needs to run where there is high voltage or strong RFI / EMI present.

Regardless of what anyone has every told you or seen. Do not power more than one IP camera from a single run.

Each cable is dedicated to that single camera nothing else. You’ll see people running 1-2-3 things over a single run like you see millions of fools using CCA Ethernet cable!

Don’t cheap out on the POE Switch like many do all over the Net. Plan ahead and insure the core Switch is POE+. While the secondary one is POE++ (BT).

This will assure today and tomorrow your hardware can be powered correctly without any voltage sag.

Measure the voltage drop for each run after the cable has been certified while the final hardware is in place. A dedicated pure sine wave UPS should be present to offset any power events.

Proper grounding and SPD’s should be present when and where needed. The security video system should run on a isolated air gapped network that follow all best practices of using different subnet, range, class. Which should be segmented through VLANS and filtered by MAC address.

A separate firewall appliance that manages and oversees IPS / IDS and policies should be in place. The primary role of this Firewall is to block outbound traffic.

Access & Control should be limited to a few key holders. Passwords should rotate based on the level of threat from monthly, quarterly, yearly.

Good luck . . .

forumviewer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Each cable is dedicated to that single camera nothing else. You’ll see people running 1-2-3 things over a single run like you see millions of fools using CCA Ethernet cable!
What exactly do you mean by dedicated run? After reading through this thread the way I was planning on running this is a SINGLE cat6 cable from the network room firewall to the center of the building where a POE+ switch will be hanging out. From the POE+ switch (lets just say 12 port switch) I'll run 10 cameras using 10 different cat6 cables; one per each camera location. Each camera will not be more than 300 ft from the "center" POE+ switch.

I would prefer to avoid proprietary stuff (ePOE stuff) but alas I am certainly open for suggestions.

I was planning on using Ubiquity EdgeRouter and Ubiquity POE+ switch(es) and run the camera's off of a different VLAN subnet that blocks all public communication inbound and outbound with only a local subnet and VPN to be able to access BlueIRIS/camera subnet.

Sounds solid right? :)

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I like the answers already give (use a good quality cable and perhaps shielded just to be safe).

I will add another thought however. If any of this cable will be traveling outdoors (even if buried), then you run the risk of electrical charges (from lighting or other electrical charges like static) passing from one place to another. The longer the cable is, the larger the risk. I would highly suggest using fiber cable anytime you need to run a network cable outside of the main structure. Because fiber is glass passing light, there is no way to conduct electricity through it which will protect electronics located at either end from high voltage being introduced onto the line.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
What exactly do you mean by dedicated run? After reading through this thread the way I was planning on running this is a SINGLE cat6 cable from the network room firewall to the center of the building where a POE+ switch will be hanging out. From the POE+ switch (lets just say 12 port switch) I'll run 10 cameras using 10 different cat6 cables; one per each camera location. Each camera will not be more than 300 ft from the "center" POE+ switch.

I would prefer to avoid proprietary stuff (ePOE stuff) but alas I am certainly open for suggestions.

I was planning on using Ubiquity EdgeRouter and Ubiquity POE+ switch(es) and run the camera's off of a different VLAN subnet that blocks all public communication inbound and outbound with only a local subnet and VPN to be able to access BlueIRIS/camera subnet.

Sounds solid right? :)
Correct, single cable for each IP camera. I called this out because millions of fools in Enterprise & Consumer use a single cable to power multiple end devices!

Everything in the network infrastructure needs to be planned, designed, and implemented with overhead and a margin of safety.

This is the time to put pen to paper and decide what needs to be in place. This means run all the required cable from 22-4, 18-2, CAT-6, Fibre in key areas during the Big Pull.

Which leads to keeping a pull string in place for zones hard to access later on.

All cable must be properly supported at 4 feet intervals unless in a race way. All cable should be labeled and hand written with a sharpie and the back side double slashed.

Leave a generous service loop in case the final placement needs to move a few feet or end of cable is damaged. Which needs to be cut regardless to insure a clean line.

Any electrical tape (ends) should Be kind and leave a line so your brother isn’t fighting to find the end of the tape!

Do not try to use anything else besides certified CAT-6 RJ45 connectors that are staggered and accept 23 AWG solid copper wire! Always install a boot where required to protect the clip. Apply dielectric grease to the connector prior to insertion to displace air & moisture.

Use a wiring schema that by EYE is easily identifiable! Yellow is the preferred colour to denote audio / video such as IP camera.

Always update building plans with the new wiring calling out their general location, final placement, and identifier. We always use neon flag tape and paint to mark each zone so even 50-100 feet away in the dark it will show up with a flashlight when up in the ceiling / roof.

Nothing is worse looking around in complete darkness with a hundred miles of pipe, wiring, HVAC, just trying to figure out a single cable is bundled with something else!!

Reaction score
I was planning on running this is a SINGLE cat6 cable from the network room firewall to the center of the building where a POE+ switch will be hanging out. From the POE+ switch (lets just say 12 port switch) I'll run 10 cameras using 10 different cat6 cables; one per each camera location. Each camera will not be more than 300 ft from the "center" POE+ switch.
That is fine. What @Teken is talking about is running a single Cat6 from a POE port on the switch to multiple cams using a splitter along the way. That would mean that multiple cams are sharing the Power from that POE port. That is done by some when it is the best that they can do in a given situation, but is not recommended in a commercial setting for sure, but folks here have done it just fine. Calling those people 'fools' is kind of offensive.

forumviewer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All cable must be properly supported at 4 feet intervals unless in a race way. All cable should be labeled and hand written with a sharpie and the back side double slashed.
What is "back side double slashed"?
Everything else that you wrote I understand and what a wonderful list! It is easy to think these things out but is best to put pen to paper and be specific so that when the work comes you just follow the plan.

There is going to be a run about 100 to 150 ft from one building to another using underground conduit. I didn't think about using fiber in this situation but we might as well on a fresh install. Any particular fiber cable concerns as there are about ethernet cable concerns? I'm not as familair with fiber. I suspect I'll also need to get a switch at both locations that accept fiber connection or use some type of fiber to rf45 adapter

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
What is "back side double slashed"?
Everything else that you wrote I understand and what a wonderful list! It is easy to think these things out but is best to put pen to paper and be specific so that when the work comes you just follow the plan.

There is going to be a run about 100 to 150 ft from one building to another using underground conduit. I didn't think about using fiber in this situation but we might as well on a fresh install. Any particular fiber cable concerns as there are about ethernet cable concerns? I'm not as familair with fiber. I suspect I'll also need to get a switch at both locations that accept fiber connection or use some type of fiber to rf45 adapter
On the cable there will be marking tape your team defines as the working schema. If we just say it’s a number that number that is also hand written will include a double / triple slash as seen here.

This will affirm that cable is for a IP camera. It’s up to your team to implement a system that is easy to understand and follow and others to use efficiency.

If you start right from the beginning with yellow colour cable - Win!

Same cable is marked with alpha numeric tape in case people’s hand writing is shit - Win!

Cable is marked with a sharpie in case the tape comes off or is covered in goo - Win!

Flag tape and neon paint is applied at the final installation point no smaller than 12” X 12” so anyone looking up a ceiling tile using a flashlight knows He’s Close - Win!

IMG_6315.jpg

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
That is fine. What @Teken is talking about is running a single Cat6 from a POE port on the switch to multiple cams using a splitter along the way. That would mean that multiple cams are sharing the Power from that POE port. That is done by some when it is the best that they can do in a given situation, but is not recommended in a commercial setting for sure, but folks here have done it just fine. Calling those people 'fools' is kind of offensive.
I surely hope you understand my statement comes from being genuinely concerned for all parties! Everyday there is someone who takes a short cut with respect to the NEC / CEC whether it be a professional or consumer. Everyday someone in the security industry who touts having 9999999999999 years of belt time in the field will summarily install CCA cable in a wall and Joe Average follows the same?!?

Why . . .

Because they are cheap, ignorant, and don't care to ask questions! :banghead:

Seeing a persons home or work place burn down to the ground due to abuse, install, to improper wire isn't something anyone should give a pass to. This applies to running multiple loads on a single Ethernet cable and (IF) we go with how common the following scenario is:

CCA cable is 24 ~ 28 AWG, even worse its, not correctly rated for in wall / plenum, now Joe Public decides to run POE+ right off the bat. No idea the cable is already compromised for its intended use. Joe Average decides to run a high power IR, Maybe he see's the next great PTZ which has a heater!

Joe figures I'll just use a Dahua special POE expander! :facepalm:

Best case you burn up a perfectly good camera / accessory, to POE switch / Injector, to raging fire within an enclosed space! :wtf:

Peace . . . :thumb:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
We call those courtesy tabs. Apprentices have been fired for not making them....
Nothing is harder when the mercury is 38’C outside all the while your standing on a ladder / bucket up in the air it’s 45’C with a humidex of 50’C!

You go grab the end of that (3M) 33 speed tape and can’t find the end or worse can’t even separate it from the bundle as it’s fused in place!

A simple tape lead helps everyone when your sweating balls!