Can't tell if HW Acceleration is working.

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 2 reolink cameras a 410 and 420, running the latest BI5 on a i3-i8100 and server 2016 essentials, using intel driver 25.20.100.6326 which was installed by windows. I know quicksync works on this driver as i use it to convert mpeg2 to h264 using MCEBUDDY.

CPU hovers at about 20%, i have made sure hardware Acceleration is set to intel and have also set the camera option to intel, read the wiki and optimization thread.

I also installed a demo version of BI5 on a i7-3520M with Intel driver 10.18.10.5069. The CPU also hovers at about 20%, checking task manager the GPU usage is always zero.

What do i need to do to get HW Acceleration working on the I3 8100?

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Weird I'm seeing 10% usage on the i7 in gpu z but task manager shows 0%.

Haven't checked on the i3.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The demo version has features disabled. The Hardware acceleration is disabled in the demo version.

Reolink cameras may not support hardware acceleration as they do let allow you set the iframe.

Reaction score
@JonSnow the other option is to go to settings in the Smart Client and select the advanced option and choose the overlay diagnostics option and set it to level 2 and this will let you know if the Intel hardware acceleration is active. Also the GPU feature should also be available within task manager to see if the application is utilizing the GPU. Right click within the status pane at the top and you can also enable that.

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@JonSnow the other option is to go to settings in the Smart Client and select the advanced option and choose the overlay diagnostics option and set it to level 2 and this will let you know if the Intel hardware acceleration is active. Also the GPU feature should also be available within task manager to see if the application is utilizing the GPU. Right click within the status pane at the top and you can also enable that.

By smart client do you mean the BI settings? On server 2016 the GPU option is not available in task manager since it's the same code base as Windows 10 1607.

Using GPUZ, the readings definitely say quicksync is working, with the gui not open im at 1% but then it jumps to 14% as soon as i launch BI.

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The demo version has features disabled. The Hardware acceleration is disabled in the demo version.

Reolink cameras may not support hardware acceleration as they do let allow you set the iframe.
As i understand direct record to disk is disabled but not HW Acceleration.

Reaction score
@JonSnow no not at all you need to go into the Smart Client settings and this is common across all the versions including the free version as the client is the same. If you enable that feature you will see an overlay per camera that will show you relevant diagnostics for hardware acceleration. Hardware acceleration for Intel is available on the free version but not Nvidia as per the comparison chart.

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@JonSnow no not at all you need to go into the Smart Client settings and this is common across all the versions including the free version as the client is the same. If you enable that feature you will see an overlay per camera that will show you relevant diagnostics for hardware acceleration. Hardware acceleration for Intel is available on the free version but not Nvidia as per the comparison chart.
Still not sure what you mean by smart client