Can't Run Smart PSS

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This smart PSS thing asks me to set a password 'on first installation' but doesn't allow me to input anything.. then if I try to click 'next' it complains the password field shouldn't be empty....

I'm stuck..

trying to use it and config tool to find my dahua cameras.

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think that must have been the problem. Anyway it is all good now. Thanks.

I've got a hardware NVR, contacam, blue iris, PSS, web service... no single one of them seems to do the job of finding all my dahua cams and my foscams...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that must have been the problem. Anyway it is all good now. Thanks.

I've got a hardware NVR, contacam, blue iris, PSS, web service... no single one of them seems to do the job of finding all my dahua cams and my foscams...
Blue iris certainly will, its just user error...pss will only work with dahua and dahua rebrands...blue iris works with every single dahua and foscam camera you own.

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
well it can't see this particular camera. i've had many hassles with it. it is on ethernet cable. I came with a default IP something like 192.168.1.108 and for a long time I couldn't connect with it because I was trying to use the 12V input.

It just wouldn't work.

Eventually I got a PoE switch and then it sprang to life. And I set it to 10.0.0.108 and it worked for a few days.

Then I unplugged it for something and when plugged back in it couldn't be found.

Then I got a hardware NVR and plugged it into that and found it: at 10.1.1.67 !

A mysterious change. And contacam and blue iris can't see it.

So your statement that they'll see everything is good, means I have further indication that it is a faulty camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
well it can't see this particular camera. i've had many hassles with it. it is on ethernet cable. I came with a default IP something like 192.168.1.108 and for a long time I couldn't connect with it because I was trying to use the 12V input.

It just wouldn't work.

Eventually I got a PoE switch and then it sprang to life. And I set it to 10.0.0.108 and it worked for a few days.

Then I unplugged it for something and when plugged back in it couldn't be found.

Then I got a hardware NVR and plugged it into that and found it: at 10.1.1.67 !

A mysterious change. And contacam and blue iris can't see it.

So your statement that they'll see everything is good, means I have further indication that it is a faulty camera.
No, reset the camera and start over..the camera is just fine...set the camera to a static ip within the SAME SUBNET as your router...there are many threads discussing it.

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
well that's what I did at the time - same subnet - that's what 10.0.0.108 was about. Now it has leapt over to 10.1.1.67 all by itself.

That's why it couldn't be found until the nvr came along with a massive search apparently across different subnets.

You think the camera's fine when it does that?

But, yes, I don't mind setting it back to the 10.0.0.0 subnet, quite happy to.

But tell me, what's the best way to access it? Originally I had to isolate my pc from the lan and put it on the 192.x.x.x net and hook the camera straight into the pc. then i could interface with it and configure it. give it an IP on the lan subnet.

then put my pc back on the lan and there we go...

i've got to do all that again or there's an easier way?

why are these dahua so tricky when my foscams are easy? it it because they use a special protocol or something where the foscams perhaps use a bog standard old method?

p.s. 'reset the camera' ? you mean some kind of hard reset? there's a pinhole or something?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
well that's what I did at the time - same subnet - that's what 10.0.0.108 was about. Now it has leapt over to 10.1.1.67 all by itself.

That's why it couldn't be found until the nvr came along with a massive search apparently across different subnets.

You think the camera's fine when it does that?

But, yes, I don't mind setting it back to the 10.0.0.0 subnet, quite happy to.

But tell me, what's the best way to access it? Originally I had to isolate my pc from the lan and put it on the 192.x.x.x net and hook the camera straight into the pc. then i could interface with it and configure it. give it an IP on the lan subnet.

then put my pc back on the lan and there we go...

i've got to do all that again or there's an easier way?

why are these dahua so tricky when my foscams are easy? it it because they use a special protocol or something where the foscams perhaps use a bog standard old method?

p.s. 'reset the camera' ? you mean some kind of hard reset? there's a pinhole or something?
it didnt leap over by itself...when you connected it to an NVR the nvr changed the ip to its own subnet...the dahua cameras are not tricky...the difference is the foscam comes with dhcp enabled-this causes problems in the long run when the ip changes....use the dahua config tool

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
but, but, but... the nvr is on 10.0.0.91.... not on the 10.1.1.x at all.

The dahua config tool can't find it.

I find it by using the 'web plugin' that browsers always ask for when following the url to the nvr. and then they ask for chrome. and then it asks me to download the plugin no matter how many time I do it. :)

nowadays I've got a desktop icon to 'easy viewer' which seems to be exactly the same thing.. it calls itself 'web service' once I get there.

it has a 'configure' or 'modify' screen when I click on that camera and it shows the display okay. but it won't allow me to modify anything. just nothing happens.

i do all this because i don't have a monitor handy for the nvr and i'd much rather interface with the nvr via my computer anyway.... i'd expect to be able to do that remotely when i finally get everything going...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
but, but, but... the nvr is on 10.0.0.91.... not on the 10.1.1.x at all.

The dahua config tool can't find it.

I find it by using the 'web plugin' that browsers always ask for when following the url to the nvr. and then they ask for chrome. and then it asks me to download the plugin no matter how many time I do it. :)

nowadays I've got a desktop icon to 'easy viewer' which seems to be exactly the same thing.. it calls itself 'web service' once I get there.

it has a 'configure' or 'modify' screen when I click on that camera and it shows the display okay. but it won't allow me to modify anything. just nothing happens.

i do all this because i don't have a monitor handy for the nvr and i'd much rather interface with the nvr via my computer anyway.... i'd expect to be able to do that remotely when i finally get everything going...
the NVR creates its own subnet, its not the same as the NVR itself which is on your routers...the config tool will not find the camera if its still plugged into the NVR

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
aaahh... so simple...... but the wifi cams the nvr lists it leaves their ip's untouched.

and I just unplugged the cam and put it back into the plain poe switch and there's no sign of it yet.

The router doesn't list it. The config tool can't find it. What IP might I expect to find it at now? Something random? Without an IP? The one given by the NVR?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
aaahh... so simple...... but the wifi cams the nvr lists it leaves their ip's untouched.

and I just unplugged the cam and put it back into the plain poe switch and there's no sign of it yet.

The router doesn't list it. The config tool can't find it. What IP might I expect to find it at now? Something random? Without an IP? The one given by the NVR?
wifi cams are different because they transmit to the router not the NVR...
router wont find it because its on a different subnet...reset it...then try the config tool..make sure you are using the latest...
if that does not work, use the other method if changing your pc's ipv4 address to the default dahua subnet.

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
'..on a different subnet..' you think it still has the 10.1.1.67 address.. ?

i was just thinking what's the point of all this? it has to go back in nvr, that's what it's for.

then it'll get another IP again...

and 'reset it' ... the camera? how?

and p.s. it won't ping at the old factory IP: 192.168.1.108, or 'my' IP: 10.0.0.108, or the nvr IP: 10.1.1.67

the switch has leds and they're alight.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
'..on a different subnet..' you think it still has the 10.1.1.67 address.. ?

i was just thinking what's the point of all this? it has to go back in nvr, that's what it's for.

then it'll get another IP again...

and 'reset it' ... the camera? how?
there is no point...as i understood it you were trying to use it with blue iris...my point is there is nothing wrong with the camera or blue iris, its user error.

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes what I mean is how does this help see it with blue iris. where's my 'user error' ? we do all this, plug it back into the nvr and it disappears again...

except you say no, blue iris will see it.....

".set the camera to a static ip within the SAME SUBNET as your router...there are many threads discussing it."

that's where I came in.. that was the first thing I did...

any idea where the reset button is? under the screwed down cover over the memcard slot i guess?

why reset? whats wrong exactly? one minute you're saying there's nothing wrong (except me) and now you're saying reset the camera...

and change the IP but it'll be changed again as soon as I plug into the nvr...

i just struggle to understand the rationale...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yes what I mean is how does this help see it with blue iris. where's my 'user error' ? we do all this, plug it back into the nvr and it disappears again...

except you say no, blue iris will see it.....

".set the camera to a static ip within the SAME SUBNET as your router...there are many threads discussing it."

that's where I came in.. that was the first thing I did...

any idea where the reset button is? under the screwed down cover over the memcard slot i guess?

why reset? whats wrong exactly? one minute you're saying there's nothing wrong (except me) and now you're saying reset the camera...

and change the IP but it'll be changed again as soon as I plug into the nvr...

i just struggle to understand the rationale...
blue iris cannot see a camera being an nvr...you need to use a poe switch...(there are ways around this if you have an open port but forget about it for now)...you can also stream from the NVR itself..search...this is all basic user error...you dont even mention the camera model so its anyones guess as to the reset button..but there is no point now if you intend to use it with the NVR...my point simply was that you incorrectly stated that blue iris cant detect it, when its a networking issue..

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
well i opened the thread asking about pss. That got fixed. Then we've wandered afield all arising out of a casual mention of mine in post #3.

to which you immediately claimed it was 'user error' without specifying the error or a fix and I meanwhile just following your suggestions and responding with reports on what's happening all the while..

would have been happy at any time to tell the model of the camera if you'd (or anyone) had wanted to know: it's an IPC HFW5413 EP-Z.

Yes, I am going to use it with an NVR - that's what I bought the NVR for. To learn mainly.

Seems to me the resolution of this secondary discussion we're having - for which I'm quite grateful - is that contrary to your stipulation:

Blue iris certainly will, its just user error...pss will only work with dahua and dahua rebrands...blue iris works with every single dahua and foscam camera you own.
blue iris will not. If a camera is within an nvr subnet blue iris will not see it.

This nvr 'hideout' seems to me a fundamental proposition that should be stipulated first and foremost. It would save a lot of words I think.

I think I should start another thread for I now have another question:

Just what are the pros and cons of a hardware NVR?

My first thought is that having a hardware nvr saves having a pc switched on all the time - saves using a pile driver to crack a nut.

But if cameras are hidden away there and difficult to see then their utility is much diminished to my mind.

My first experience is that the cameras within the nvr and controlling, configuring, the nvr is difficult enough.

I've got one to learn from but I also like to ask. So the question probably doesn't belong in this thread, taking it yet further afield but in another. So I guess I'll start one.

thank you for your assistance.

:)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
well i opened the thread asking about pss. That got fixed. Then we've wandered afield all arising out of a casual mention of mine in post #3.

to which you immediately claimed it was 'user error' without specifying the error or a fix and I meanwhile just following your suggestions and responding with reports on what's happening all the while..

would have been happy at any time to tell the model of the camera if you'd (or anyone) had wanted to know: it's an IPC HFW5413 EP-Z.

Yes, I am going to use it with an NVR - that's what I bought the NVR for. To learn mainly.

Seems to me the resolution of this secondary discussion we're having - for which I'm quite grateful - is that contrary to your stipulation:

blue iris will not. If a camera is within an nvr subnet blue iris will not see it.

This nvr 'hideout' seems to me a fundamental proposition that should be stipulated first and foremost. It would save a lot of words I think.

I think I should start another thread for I now have another question:

Just what are the pros and cons of a hardware NVR?

My first thought is that having a hardware nvr saves having a pc switched on all the time - saves using a pile driver to crack a nut.

But if cameras are hidden away there and difficult to see then their utility is much diminished to my mind.

My first experience is that the cameras within the nvr and controlling, configuring, the nvr is difficult enough.

I've got one to learn from but I also like to ask. So the question probably doesn't belong in this thread, taking it yet further afield but in another. So I guess I'll start one.

thank you for your assistance.

:)
Why are you being an idiot...if the camera is disconnected blue iris can't see it either...if the camera is on an NVR subnet no software can see it not even Pss...it streams from the NVR which blue Iris can also do....you issue is a basic lack of network knowledge... there are a bunch of threads discussing the difference between bi and NVRs

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would like to PM you. You have PM on these forums?

I do not like to be spoken to in the manner you adopt. I remind you that you are free to ignore my questions and I would certainly rather you did than issue responses like that.

I put the questions up in good faith for the attention of those who choose to willingly and happily respond, not for the ascerbic and gratuitously offensive response of the unwilling.