cannot turn on/power on Dahua IPC-HFW1320S

tberger06

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I am a total IP camera noob, but this is how I understand how the initial configuration process should work:

1. plug in camera to POE or 12V power source
  2. connect camera via ethernet to a computer on the same IP subnet
  3. browse to 192.168.1.108 to log in to the camera and configure

I ordered 2 of these Dahua IPC-HFW1320S cameras and cannot get them to turn on. I've tried multiple POE injectors and multiple 12V power adapters but no lights or anything to signal the cameras are on.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there some trick to turning them on?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Use the 12V adapter and try again. Just cos PoE injectors work on other devices doesn't mean it'll work on cameras.

tberger06

n3wb
Reaction score
Use the 12V adapter and try again. Just cos PoE injectors work on other devices doesn't mean it'll work on cameras.
The back of the camera says 12V 0.5A/POE. I've tried a 12V 1.0A power source, a 15V 0.8A POE injector, and a 24V 0.5A POE injector. None of them seem to do anything.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The back of the camera says 12V 0.5A/POE. I've tried a 12V 1.0A power source, a 15V 0.8A POE injector, and a 24V 0.5A POE injector. None of them seem to do anything.
12V via the DC line only not over the RJ45 via some sort of splitter or injector.

PoE has to be 48V. I don't know what those 15V or 24V PoE injectors are but they are not PoE 802.3af.

So either 1) You've killed them or 2) They are a faulty batch or 3) They were both faulty from different batches (which is highly unlikely but possible) or 4) and I only include this just in case, you're not connecting the 12V power to the DC line or it has the wrong polarity.

More I think about it, the more I think it's (4)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have a GigE port on your computer? if its a Fast Ethernet port you cant connect it directly to a camera w/out a crossover cable.

ensure your on the same subnet

it can be really difficult to see if a camera is on externally, I find its usually best to take it into the bathroom or some place totally dark and observe it bootup there.. it'll turn the IR on its self in such a dark environment.

not all cameras turn on the IR as part of the boot process, many have that controlled electronically via light sensor and the software cant touch it.

tberger06

n3wb
Reaction score
12V via the DC line only not over the RJ45 via some sort of splitter or injector.

PoE has to be 48V. I don't know what those 15V or 24V PoE injectors are but they are not PoE 802.3af.

So either 1) You've killed them or 2) They are a faulty batch or 3) They were both faulty from different batches (which is highly unlikely but possible) or 4) and I only include this just in case, you're not connecting the 12V power to the DC line or it has the wrong polarity.

More I think about it, the more I think it's (4)

These are the 2 POE injectors that I've tried. Ubiquiti Poe-15 15VDC 0.8A and Ubiquiti Networks POE-24-12W.

Are they not beefy enough?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Uh Ubiquiti is not standard PoE, its a 24VDC.. you need 48V Standard PoE (IEEE 802.3af compliant)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd go for something thats nestable (lock together if you have more than one), like this: http://www.amazon.com/BV-Tech-BV-I100GL-15-4-Watt-Ethernet-Injector/dp/B00HNFF7FI/

there is a slight possibility you could of damaged hardware using those passive injectors, active injectors like this above wont hurt non-Poe devices as they require a special handshake to activate the power feed.. passive injectors always provide power, even if nothing is plugged in.. and plugging in a non-poe device or a device designed for another poe type may have bad results.

tberger06

n3wb
Reaction score
Got a new PoE injector and was able to turn a camera on and connect to it. Thanks for pointing out my issue with using incorrect injectors.

Neso

n3wb
Reaction score
Got a new PoE injector and was able to turn a camera on and connect to it. Thanks for pointing out my issue with using incorrect injectors.
Could you share what you have bought I have same camera and I can not start it ?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Could you share what you have bought I have same camera and I can not start it ?
Normally the power is not enough for the camera, you just buy a 12V DC power adapter to use it. if still the same, the camera have to do the warranty and ship back to your seller.