Can you PoE Power a 12v IR Lamp?

Arnold Lift

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

looking If there is a POE Splitter way to Power one of these 12v Outdoor IR Lamps:

How would you do it for a Cable Distance of up to 20 Meters?

Is this even possible with a Cat 6 Cable, Splitter and Poe Switch that can do 30watts per Port?

Any Expertise is Welcome! Looking to Power 6 of those Lamps!

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Arnold Lift

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. Got mixed replies now on Amazon from customers saying the opposite.. I Just want to make Sure the Idea works with the hardware and you actually can Power the IR LED Lamp using the PoE Switch and Splitter with Cat 6 Ethernet Cable.

Those Lamps are pretty common on the web and seem to be the Perfect Solution for Bugless Night Vision on Larger Areas arround the House.

Some Details about the Switch:

Cudy FS1010P

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those Lamps are pretty common on the web and seem to be the Perfect Solution for Bugless Night Vision on Larger Areas arround the House.
You mean the bugs will head toward the IR emitters and leave the disabled IR in your cameras alone?

Arnold Lift

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You mean the bugs will head toward the IR emitters and leave the disabled IR in your cameras alone?
Yup. Thats the Idea. Totally works with two IR Cameras where one has IR light disabled and just uses the light provided from the other one.

So this massive 96Led IR Lamp should provide a Blow away night Image for the cams arround it and solve any Bug flying issue.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You do need to be aware of the power capabilities of your PoE switch, both per port and total power available. That IR lamp is a 12 watt load. A typical camera uses up to 5 watts with the IR shut off so that is a total load of 17 watts, or so, to each port with a lamp on it.

Arnold Lift

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You do need to be aware of the power capabilities of your PoE switch, both per port and total power available. That IR lamp is a 12 watt load. A typical camera uses up to 5 watts with the IR shut off so that is a total load of 17 watts, or so, to each port with a lamp on it.
The switch is a POE+ that can do 30watts per Port... That Part i checked. For the 6 Lamps either a own Switch and Ethernet cables bought together with the ones needed for the cams... or Just the 6 x 12v Power cables needed for the Lamps and Just the cables for cams.

Unsure what would be the proper Power cable on the Market for such a Lamp and prices for 20 Meters.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
The adapter I showed you only outputs 15w maximum. That light you linked is 12w. The camera will eat up another ~3w more than likely. You are going to be close to max output for that adapter.

The issue is that 802.3af is really only designed to output 15w per port. You could get something like this: POE-SPLT-4812G-P-GigE Splitter,802.3at PoE to 12V 20W Out

That is designed to be fed either by 802.3af or 802.3at. But the problem is your camera isn't 802.3at is it? Its probably 802.3af I'm assuming. So your switch port negotiate back down to 802.3af since it doesn't sense a PoE+ device at the other end and you will still be limited to 15w max output power. You really should just make a new network cable run just for the light and this will avoid the entire issue.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Generally, the recommended cable is 23 gauge, solid copper, cable. Keep in mind that PoE supplies 48VDC that is regulated down to 12VDC by the camera or PoE splitter. That 48VDC supply cuts that actual current on the cable by a factor of four. So a nominal 12 watt load at 12VDC translates to about 250ma on the cable itself.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
While a valid strategy, sensor development has come a long way. The latest colorvu series from Hikvision really require next to no light. Duhua and others are expecting to release similar products.
External or lights are great but are not a fix for everything. ie: they don’t automatically reduce the power when people approach, risking over exposure. Good consistent lighting is often better than strong lighting.

just something for you to consider.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I've not seen any sensor used for surveillance that requires "next to no light". I guess if you set the shutter for 1s or 2s, then perhaps. But that would be useless for recording.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've not seen any sensor used for surveillance that requires "next to no light". I guess if you set the shutter for 1s or 2s, then perhaps. But that would be useless for recording.
Sorry if my post came across too literally.

Of course sensors need light to work, I was attempting to point out the recent massive jump in sensor performance, suggesting perhaps OP may consider saving some cash and considering some newer cameras towards the end of the year to compliment his existing setup.

Next to no light, was referring to scenes where the human eye has limited light to function make out detail, yet the latest Hikvision cameras (even without the LED enabled) seem to catch sufficient detail and motion and they perform absolutely exceptionally with the light from street lights. At this time Dahua have nothing even close. PC-HFW4239T-ASE holds color for a while, but just doesn't get enough light to deal with motion. The replacement models are expected to be equal or (fingers crossed) exceed the current Hikvision ColorVu range.

Would I still use IR cams in extremely LOW light? ofcourse.
Would I replace all my IR cams with ColorVu cams? absolutely not at this point.
I do NOT personally have a ColorVu yet, no but I have trialed one. I personally own a clone which is vastly superior to the my Dahua IPC-HFW4239T-ASE and completely embarrasses my Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS.
For those that like "Hollywood" movies or need to recognise close and far objects, the 8MP provides absolutely crazy level of detail. Like my iphone 12 pro max can capture a good still, but not the motion.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you show us some video comparison of the new ColorVu and your 5442 in the same location?
The 2020 Colorvu have the same 1/18 sensor as the Dahua 5442 and 7442 series and are virtually identical in image. I understand there is a new model with a bigger sensor, same sensor Dahau us releasing I believe soon.

The HFW4239T-ASE is not really a valid comparison

If you want a real comparison, look at the Dahua HFW7442H-Z or better yet, the HFW5442T-ASE-NI