Camera placements

Reaction score
Just placed my order with Andy @EMPIRETECANDY and have a question on how far back or forward the camera should be mounted on the soffit? The cameras I ordered are the IPC-HDW4231EM-AS and was wondering if it matters at all.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Just placed my order with Andy @EMPIRETECANDY and have a question on how far back or forward the camera should be mounted on the soffit? The cameras I ordered are the IPC-HDW4231EM-AS and was wondering if it matters at all.
pfa130-e Or PFA137 can make the installation easy, but also can hang to ceiling directly.
upload_2018-4-25_23-19-24.png

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's just a diagram. Exact placement should depend on a combination of obtaining the best view and the underlying construction.
And to minimize any possible IR reflection off of the soffit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Use a "test rig" (research that here) to check placement before drilling holes and permanently attaching it.
View images at daytime and nightime.
Camera placement, done without a test rig, often leads to adjusting the location.
A high soffit prevents a good facial shot. Or no facial shot if a hoodie or cap is worn. If you like shots of people's bald spots, a high soffit great.

Good luck!

Fastb

Reaction score
And to minimize any possible IR reflection off of the soffit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I thought that might be an issue based on some of the photos that I have seen on the web and would think that the further back the more impact of the IR reflection. I will have to find a way to test them to find the best mount point. Thanks.
Use a "test rig" (research that here) to check placement before drilling holes and permanently attaching it.
View images at daytime and nightime.
Camera placement, done without a test rig, often leads to adjusting the location.
A high soffit prevents a good facial shot. Or no facial shot if a hoodie or cap is worn. If you like shots of people's bald spots, a high soffit great.

Good luck!

Fastb
Thanks for the reply. My soffit is just over 7' and I'm sure I can come up with test rig even if it means my wife holding the camera in position.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All good points noted above. I have one particular instance where I mounted a turret cam too far out on the soffit and it is pointed West. This cam gets blinded from the setting Sun during certain times of day/year, even though it has WDR. If you are looking East or West, I would mount as far back as possible while getting the "best" view w/o IR reflection from soffit edge.

Reaction score
All good points noted above. I have one particular instance where I mounted a turret cam too far out on the soffit and it is pointed West. This cam gets blinded from the setting Sun during certain times of day/year, even though it has WDR. If you are looking East or West, I would mount as far back as possible while getting the "best" view w/o IR reflection from soffit edge.
Good to know thanks.