Camera placement opinions / IR adjustments.

Ispy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I moved it over and up - not enough but it did make a huge difference. Probably move it a bit more

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I moved it over and up - not enough but it did make a huge difference. Probably move it a bit more
Is it 2.8mm? We might be getting to the limit of how good we can get it.

Glad we are getting it better slowly. Can't wait for some new pics to compare.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm in the minority here but I don't think an IR illuminator will be a magic pill.

4mm lens would be a much better fix. I wonder if there is somewhere local you can get one. 4mm lens and IR illuminator, that would work :)

Compared to your original snapshot the difference is almost night and day!

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most likely because the 4mm will you give you a tighter FOV which would exclude the bush. You do lose the view of the area around the bush unless you move the camera position.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Like Michelin Man says, because the 4mm is going to give you a tighter FOV eliminating the bushes almost entirely. The more reflection you can reduce the better the picture is going to be farther from the camera. The latest picture does look better BTW but you are fighting the soffit that the IR is hitting now too. Going to be hard to completely eliminate all the reflection on this particular shot to get the best image the camera is capable of.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Now I've thought about it. 4mm won't eliminate enough. 6mm would. Why you want to video a bush I have no idea.

Ispy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
been busy but i did buy an IR Illuminator. guess you get what you pay for? i bought this one and it did not come with an AC adapter. quickly ordered the one it showed to pair with on Amazon which was only a 1amp. found a 12v/2amp at home and tried that. basically it is worthless. so frustrating.

it MAY illuminate 3ft out.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M3O5ERK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

here is a video showing me pointing it at the camera and away - you can't even see it.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Ispy, I looks like the IR cut filter is engaged in that video. Is the camera in night mode?

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i did set to it to day mode to turn IR off. is that the wrong way?
Yes it is and that would explain why it is not working. In day mode the IR filter is engaged. You need to leave it in auto/night mode. There is a separate IR light option...advanced>system>service.

Ispy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes it is and that would explain why it is not working. In day mode the IR filter is engaged. You need to leave it in auto/night mode. There is a separate IR light option...advanced>system>service.
ah, thanks. i was looking in the image tabs. i will try that tonight.

Ispy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman, thanks again . i did a test in a closet (not dark here yet) and that looks to have done it. i will try it outside tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ispy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok that did the trick. actually it is too much. may have to cover some of the light up or play with where to mount it. i just set it on the ground to see how it lit the area up.

Attachments

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think the lack of bush has made the biggest difference.

We can get that image much much better.

Ispy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks, yea. i am going to try placement of the illuminator this weekend when i have some time.