Camera Input and silly question....I think.

Meanie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anyone have personal experience with the Foscam model Fi9826P?

The silly question is even though a camera is an IP camera, that doesn't mean it's a wireless camera.......correct? If I want a wireless camera, it would need to state "wireless IP camera".....again, correct?

Thanks for the help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, IP and wireless not the same thing...a camera can be ip and not wireless and vice versa...there are much better brands than foscam..if you dont need the optical zoom and pan tilt consider the hikvison 2432 cube camera with a wide angle 2.8mm lens (not the default 4mm)...it offers much better motion detection, including PIR detection, line cross detection...it is also 3mp vs 1.3mp...with the wide angle lens you can cover an entire room without the need to panning and tilting...you will have 24/7 coverage of the area...

Meanie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, IP and wireless not the same thing...a camera can be ip and not wireless and vice versa...there are much better brands than foscam..if you dont need the optical zoom and pan tilt consider the hikvison 2432 cube camera with a wide angle 2.8mm lens (not the default 4mm)...it offers much better motion detection, including PIR detection, line cross detection...it is also 3mp vs 1.3mp...with the wide angle lens you can cover an entire room without the need to panning and tilting...you will have 24/7 coverage of the area...
Thanks for that input. I'm always open to other ideas and suggestions.

I viewed the Hikvision site and searched the Network cam products which led me to my question of wireless because I didn't see any of them state "wireless". When I viewed the specs, I still saw nothing of wireless and viewed the Interface row which stated:
Interface
Communication Interface: 1 RJ45 10 M/100 M Ethernet port

Therefore, I assumed network cable only. Since I didn't see "wireless" on any network cams in Hikvision, I assumed they may not sell wireless and thus, resorted to Foscam, since I'm using them already. Though after viewing the cam you suggested, I do see "wi-fi" (WPS) which I overlooked before. I think my mind was simply searching for "wireless".

As for the pan and tilt, if the Hikvision wide angle has good field of view, vision and clarity, I'm all for it but I've adapted to and use the pan and tilt of my Foscams daily and thought I'd look for the same.

Any idea how I can learn what lens size covers what field of view range?

Thank you

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The 2432-IW is certainly wifi....a 2.8mm lens and the camera set at 1080p you will get about a 98 degree horizontal field of view - much wider than the foscams 70 at its widest.....its silly to sit there and pan tilt a camera to see something and more importantly you will miss activity that is not in the field of view.