Camera for Shed?

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That looks like it'll work with your siding. Just measure the setback to make sure. Worst case, if it doesn't fit, you can send it back to Amazon.
Going to assume the the PFA130 will still work? I see no reason why it wouldn't.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Keep in mind with a 2.8mm the subject will need to be within less than 15 feet of the camera to make a positive identification. Don't try to cover too much area with a single camera.

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Camera is here,will put it up tomorrow. What sort of settings would be a good starting point? Remember it's behind the shed wired to the POE that's receiving Wifi by the Nanostations. Don't want to overwhelm the camera and get jerkiness or not use the correct settings to get the most out of it.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The radio link won't overload with just a single camera. That would take six or more depending on resolution. I use a manual exposure range of .01 to 16.66 at night. Gain and exposure compensation can be adjusted to improve the image and still keep noise and blur low. Using WDR, HLC, BLC is a last resort due to noise and blur being introduced. 15Fps is fine and i've found, as have most, that a CBR of 8192 works best. Encoding in either H264 or H265.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes. Explore while you're in there. I would also suggest shutting off motion detection in the camera to reduce CPU overhead in the camera unless you really need that and even then until the final version of the upgrade is released here by Andy. You can use trip wires or an intrusion box without effecting the camera CPU very much.

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Everything is looking good,except I'm getting some freezing on the camera. I can watch the time and it stops and jumps 5+ seconds at a time. What resolution should I be using? Will play some more later today.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You should leave it at it's native resolution. It is bitrate, FPS, iframe, and configuration of how the video gets to your final destination that impacts video freezing.

If you haven't done so, make FPS and iframes match at 15 and then look at the pathway of how the video gets to your system - is the cable too long, if wifi nanostation is there interference, proper amount of power getting to it, etc.

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Alright,things seem to be good now. Replaced the cable and things started working,bad cable I guess.

Last edited:

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmmm,I've been thinking that I really need to either run ethernet cable to the shed or grab 2 of these bad boys airMAX NanoStation AC 5
I like the extra poe port that could run a camera,but I'm not sure if the camera would work with it or not. If it will,that would make for a very clean install.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These work really well for that one spot you wish you had two cameras!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Did I miss the Memo?
BI software does its own motion detection apart from the camera hardware/software???
Am I killing my Cpu?

Yes. Explore while you're in there. I would also suggest shutting off motion detection in the camera to reduce CPU overhead in the camera unless you really need that and even then until the final version of the upgrade is released here by Andy. You can use trip wires or an intrusion box without effecting the camera CPU very much.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did I miss the Memo?
BI software does its own motion detection apart from the camera hardware/software???
Am I killing my Cpu?
If you have cameras that are capable of motion detection like the Dahua with IVS or MD or SMD, then yes you can have the cameras do the heavy lifting and then turn off motion detection in BI and instead pull ONVIF triggers from the camera. Then the CPU is not getting hit for motion detection.

For example, the 5442 series cameras AI will work with Blue Iris. What you cannot do prior to DeepStack was do a search by humans or faces with BI. That is the type of stuff you could do with the NVR AI, but you can trigger for those events in BI.

But if all you care about is triggering the camera to send you an alert or push or SMS for human and/or car and do not need all the other bells and whistles that DeepStack offers, this works very well.

How to use the AI in the camera instead of BI motion detection:

Go to Smart Plan and select IVS and hit save.

Then go to IVS and add an IVS rule. Use Intrusion and select the appears and crosses boxes. Draw a box/outline around the area you want it to trigger for, but try not to do the full frame to give the camera time to recognize the object. Then check the box for human and/or vehicle. There is no sensitivity settings in this setup.

Leave min size to 0,0 and do not do any other changes and hit save.

Make sure both motion detection and Smart Motion Detection are not checked in the camera.

Then in BI you need to set it up in two places. In the motion tab, select the camera's digital input or motion alarm.

Uncheck the BI Motion Sensor.

Then go back to the setup screen where you key in the camera IP address and user and password and down in the lower left (or up a little depending on the version you are running), will be the checkbox for pull ONVIF triggers.

I ran a clone camera for awhile using BI motion to compare it to the ONVIF triggers to confirm I wasn't missing anything. Now for those cams I just use ONVIF triggers.

Having the camera do motion detection instead of BI does free up CPU as motion detection is one of the larger CPU drains.

I repeat, do not have Motion Detection and Smart Motion Detection turned on in the camera.

This will eliminate your false triggers.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Did I miss the Memo?
Am I killing my Cpu?
What I am referring to is the CPU in the camera being overworked, spiked, when using SMD. There have been many reports of hiccups and stuttering when SMD is in use. IVS, intrusion boxes or line crossing, don't load the camera CPU anywhere nearly as much. BI motion detection does use the PC CPU, of course, but normally won't spike the utilization much at all.