Camera Alarm Output (Dahua TIOC) - what voltage level ?

curto

n3wb
Reaction score
Guys,

I want to use some of the alarm features of my TIOC cameras to integrate to my Home Automation system - I would like to tap into the Alarm output from the camera and use this - does anyone know if the camera is POE powered is the alarm output at 48v or will it be 12v ?

My thought was to attach a Sonoff SV to the alarm output and when it receives power it will startup and send out messages to my home automation system - this way every camera will be operating as an inteliigent motion sensor for me

Craig

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's sometimes difficult to tell from the manufacturer datasheets. It could be that the alarm output is simply a set of relay contacts with no power supplied from the camera (dry contacts). If this is the case, the alarm circuit would have to be externally powered. I'm sure the contacts would be rated for some maximum voltage and current that they could handle.

curto

n3wb
Reaction score
It's sometimes difficult to tell from the manufacturer datasheets. It could be that the alarm output is simply a set of relay contacts with no power supplied from the camera (dry contacts). If this is the case, the alarm circuit would have to be externally powered. I'm sure the contacts would be rated for some maximum voltage and current that they could handle.
Yep thats the problem there is really nothing on the datasheet that says what the alarm output will do - i note that there are options for how long to keep it raised for - so i would assume it is outputting a voltage of some description - looks like i will have to take one down from the eaves and do some playing

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

curto

n3wb
Reaction score
Use one of these to not only protect your cam with optical isolation but also have the current switching ability you need ==>> HiLetgo 12V 1 Channel Relay Module With Optocoupler Isolation Support High or Low Level Trigger
Yes problem is i can not (easily) get mains power to where this camera is - so what i was trying to do was cheat and put a cheap ESP8266 (Sonoff SV, Shelly1 etc) out there and then use the alarm output from the camera to power on the SOnoff etc - at power on the unit would send a message to my Home Automation system and i would know the alarm had been activated on that camera, my system could then respond by (for example) turning on all the external lights on that side of the house etc So the action of the alarm being raised by the Camera would power the device which would be colocated with the camera and would then alert me over wifi - the alternative is to process the camera stream and act on it instead - i was hoping the first idea would be simpler than trying to realtime process 5 cameras and look for human movement i.e. let the cameras do the smarts

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is a way to open the camera and (IIRC) short across a reverse polarity-protection diode and get a 12VDC feed out of the cam's 12VDC power jack on the pigtail (internal cam circuitry converts the POE to 12VDC for the cam); I'm not sure if you'd like to do that. There's a thread here on IPCT from @tigerwillow1 about just that, seems folks also power their outboard cam microphone that way ==>> Dahua camera mod to power external IR light

Or you could use a POE extender (1 POE in, 2 POE out) and feed a POE-to-12VDC splitter. That would work for sure but you'd need a junction box or enclosure to tuck the components in to protect it from the rain, UV, etc.

The POE extender would provide POE & data to the cam and POE to the splitter, the splitter would provide 12VDC to the Sonoff or Shelly.

Lastly, there is one device that passes POE and data to the cam and provides 12VDC @ a little over 1 Amp but it is expensive and still needs weather protection==>> Tycon Power Systems - POE-MSPLT-4812P-F - PoE Splitter. 48VDC 802.3af PoE input and passthru RJ45 Socket output. 12VDC 15W output on 5.5x2.1mm DC connector. 6 inch cables

Last edited:

curto

n3wb
Reaction score
There is a way to open the camera and (IIRC) short across a reverse polarity-protection diode and get a 12VDC feed out of the cam's 12VDC power jack on the pigtail (internal cam circuitry converts the POE to 12VDC for the cam); I'm not sure if you'd like to do that. There's a thread here on IPCT from @tigerwillow1 about just that, seems folks also power their outboard cam microphone that way ==>> Dahua camera mod to power external IR light

Or you could use a POE extender (1 POE in, 2 POE out) and feed a POE-to-12VDC splitter. That would work for sure but you'd need a junction box or enclosure to tuck the components in to protect it from the rain, UV, etc.

The POE extender would provide POE & data to the cam and POE to the splitter, the splitter would provide 12VDC to the Sonoff or Shelly.

Lastly, there is one device that passes POE and data to the cam and provides 12VDC @ a little over 1 Amp but it is expensive and still needs weather protection==>> Tycon Power Systems - POE-MSPLT-4812P-F - PoE Splitter. 48VDC 802.3af PoE input and passthru RJ45 Socket output. 12VDC 15W output on 5.5x2.1mm DC connector. 6 inch cables
Hey thanks for all those great ideas - i will work down the list (leaving opening the camera for last !) Depending on the price the POE extender and POE to 12-v-DC would be what i was thinking of in the back of my head - will update this thread as i progress

Craig

Mark_M

Known around here
Reaction score
A cheaper idea than a POE extender/switch unit is to use a 12v POE splitter and a 'Y' splitter cable for the 12v power.
POE splitter is around $10, the 'Y' cable is $2.

Just make sure the POE splitter can handle the load of the camera and second device (POE 802.af = 12w).
1688531062274.png

curto

n3wb
Reaction score
A cheaper idea than a POE extender/switch unit is to use a 12v POE splitter and a 'Y' splitter cable for the 12v power.
POE splitter is around $10, the 'Y' cable is $2.

Just make sure the POE splitter can handle the load of the camera and second device (POE 802.af = 12w).
View attachment 166976
Thats is indeed a great idea - will look them up on Amazon now