cable through wall question

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If I have a large amount of cables ran through a wall up I normally just cut a hole in wall like the size of an outlet box and run the cables up that way for video/power , at least on the analog systems.

I installed a new HD TVI camera today on the wall opposite of the dvr...was like 5 feet up or so from the dvr. I wanted it on the far corner of the wall but there was an electrical outlet in the way, so I just ran it up the side of the wall and drilled through on the top of the wall, installed the camera on the other side and everything was good.

Any other suggestions on what to do instead? I was going to put in a keystone plate with a bnc plug jack and 2.1mm dc jack, once I found one but figured if I just put in wiremold it would hide the wire anyhow.

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello

So let me know if I'm reading this correctly, you fed the cables up the wall cavity, through the hole in the top plate you drilled and over to the other wall through the ceiling? Sounds about right, I'd have done the same.

If you're keen to install a wall plate with a bnc jack and dc socket, could you get a blank plate and the jack, socket and custom mount it yourself?

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No what I did was run the cable on the outside of the wall.
, then drilled straight through and put my balun , power on other side for cable. Didn't run through the plate since it was on opposite side. I was going to run it inside the wall the entire way from dvr but there was already two other wall plates in way unless I put the jack right above the wall plate which I may do vs messing with wiremold

ServiceXp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think pictures are in order for this one...:sad2:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this is what conduit is for, will protect your cable and you can build around it and upgrade.. if your run alot of cable a 1/2in EMT bender is worth the money.

since your going thru the wall to the other side you can use low voltage electrical plates; it will let you mount an electrical cover cleanly after the fact.

Shop CANTEX Single Gang Old Work Bracket at Lowes.com

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Only ran one cable, don't plan on any more so conduit would not be worth it. Was just trying to get ideas on how people run just a single cable

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
even if its a single cable that cant be ran in the wall I put it in conduit, its cheap and quick to install and eventually gets painted to match and looks right.. I hate exposed cables.

If I am going for an invisible tuck I pull it through an empty wall cavity from attic/basement and go left/right behind the baseboard trim, then a surface mount box to terminate it where needed.