Buying new cameras - IPC-T5442T-ZE 4MP

djkprojects

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've got IPC-HDW5231R-Z cameras which I bought from Andy some 4 years ago and now after moving house I'm planning on adding two more and thinking of IPC-T5442T-ZE 4MP.

- Is this a good choice? I'm looking for monitoring short distance activities activities (I'd say up to 50m / 160ft) around the house so mainly garden, road etc.

- Stupid question but this new camera comes in white or black, my current ones are white but I like the black ones too. Anybody acquired these and had any issues with paint coming off etc. ?

- Is there any difference between mounting brackets PFB203-W and PFB204-W ?

Thanks a lot

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most wouldn't consider 160 feet away as short distance when it comes to these types of cameras LOL.

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A wide angle 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 160 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

fred583

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does Varifocal mean you can change the Focal Length from 2.7 mm-12 mm through the remote interface if you are monitoring it? or does it mean it automatically zooms on activity without operator intervention?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Varifocal means that you set it and forget it. They are not intended for frequent zoom in/out. It it intended to give you the flexibility based on install location to set the proper focal length when the focal length isn't known.

If you want it to automatically zoom in and out based on activity or with operator assistance, then you need an autotracking PTZ.

At the distance you are looking at, I would consider a PTZ.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've got IPC-HDW5231R-Z cameras which I bought from Andy some 4 years ago and now after moving house I'm planning on adding two more and thinking of IPC-T5442T-ZE 4MP.

- Is this a good choice? I'm looking for monitoring short distance activities activities (I'd say up to 50m / 160ft) around the house so mainly garden, road etc.

- Stupid question but this new camera comes in white or black, my current ones are white but I like the black ones too. Anybody acquired these and had any issues with paint coming off etc. ?

- Is there any difference between mounting brackets PFB203-W and PFB204-W ?

Thanks a lot
The new IPC-T5442T-ZE can use all IPC-HDW5231R-ZE's hardware mounts, same thing.

djkprojects

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello guys,

Thanks a lot, this is very helpful stuff.

I probably wasn't clear enough. The distance I'm mostly interested in covering is around the house so mainly entrance, driveway etc. The up to 50m length is mostly for secondary activities i.e. bottom part of my garden or neighbours passing by which I'm not really interested in, it's just good to have some kind of recording if anything does happens. I don't have alerts set up for these but I still record them. Fortunately there is little crime in my area and most of my alerts get triggered by foxes, badgers, cats or spiders (lol) but one never knows, better be safe than sorry :)

As for black models, any recommendations? I know these are same cameras, just don't want to end up with a camera that has all the paint peeling off if I go black.

Thanks again.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The black paint will not peel off. It isn't like they took a white one and spray painted it black LOL. The same method used to put white on is used to put black on instead.

With that said many of us here have taken the white one and painted them to match our house and they haven't peeled either...

djkprojects

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, the 49225 PTZ comes with a wall bracket. If you want to ceiling mount it, you will need to purchase that separately.
Thanks. What is the difference between this one and SD-49425XB-HNR 4MP? Am I right to say that it's 4MP so it won't be as good in low light ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. What is the difference between this one and SD-49425XB-HNR 4MP? Am I right to say that it's 4MP so it won't be as good in low light ?
That is correct. Both the 49225 and the 49425 are on the same 1/2.8" sensor, so the 4MP would need twice as much light as the 2MP. If you do not have a lot of light at night, then go with the 49225. I have both and prefer the 49225.

djkprojects

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is correct. Both the 49225 and the 49425 are on the same 1/2.8" sensor, so the 4MP would need twice as much light as the 2MP. If you do not have a lot of light at night, then go with the 49225. I have both and prefer the 49225.
Great, thanks.

I'm reading the DORI settings for the PTZ and wondering, is this the maximum distance for the criteria e.g. ID @161m(528ft) - does that mean anything below this distance will be just as good to id the person?

Also on the 5442 DORI is:
LensDetectObserveRecognizeIdentify
W58 m (190.3 ft)23 m (75.5 ft)12 m (39.4 ft)6 m (19.7 ft)
T131 m (429.8 ft)52 m (170.6 ft)26 m (85.3 ft)13 m (42.7 ft)

What are W and T lens? Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For the PTZ, yes anything closer than that will be just as good or better to ID.

For the 5442, the W and T are for the varifocal, so the W means no optical zoom at all (Wide) and the T means all the way zoomed in (Tight - well probably telephoto LOL).

Last edited:

djkprojects

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For the PTZ, yes anything closer than that will be just as good or better to ID.

For the 5442, the W and T are for the varifocal, so the W means no optical zoom at all (Wide) and the T means all the way zoomed in (Tight).
thanks, great stuff :)